http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13062260&postcount=159

tiong_fi said:
What's taking so long?
- We want the game to be good, it takes time
- Relatively small studio even though we have hired more staff
- Our expectations are high and we want to meet them
- Our team is ambitious
- Doing open-ended games is hard
- If everything worked out the first time, it wouldn't take so long (Trial and error)
- Competition is hard
- After Max Payne we thought that it would be easier but for example technologically things have gone forward really fast

What was ready when you first showed the game in E3 2005?
- concept, vision, technology, game world, game engine
- actual gameplay in prototype-state
- we were showing people the idea, vision behind the game (they were still looking for publisher at that time)

Has the game changed?
-The vision behind the game is still the same
-Gameplay mechanics lives and changes throughout the development cycle as we test and try new stuff
-We are trying different stuff to find the perfect Alan Wake -game
-For example, the bullet time feature in Max Payne was perfected just months before the game shipped

Why is the team size so small?
-Control over development
-We want that things work
-Aggressive recruiting while in a big project is a risk, lots of examples of this
-Making the game is the priority

Trailer
-The idea of making a trailer to be shown before Max Payne movie started off as a joke
-We probably wouldn't have done a trailer had the movie not came out.
-Remedy's games are cinematic
-Funny idea to see Alan Wake on "big screen"
-The idea of "between friends only" as it's shown only in Finland
-It was easy to work things out with the film's distributor
-The basic idea behind the trailer is to show an atmospheric trailer and a glimpse of how the game looks today and to remind people about the game
-"Hands-on gameplay stuff" coming a bit to the future, we don't want to show it "just yet"

Max Payne Movie
-Surrealistic vibe, really cool when you think that we made something that interested Hollywood so much that they have made their own version of it
-I'm a little nervous because it's a project in which I haven't been involved in any way and everything we have done with Max Payne before has been under our control
-We have no idea what's coming
-Mark Wahlberg is an excellent choice for Max
-We sold the movie rights before the first game came out
-We'll wait and see what we want to do with Alan Wake's movie rights

Alan Wake's storytelling:
-Lot of cinematic and plot elements to be included as part of the game
-Trying to be much like a modern TV series
-Thriller, atmosphere is a bit like in Max Payne, has it serious side but some humor as well
-Totally different type of story and genre than in Max Payne
-Crazy people and strange stuff going on in the village where the game is taking place

Episodic?
-goal: same type of experience you get from a season dvd box of a tv series
-the game is divided into episodes
-pacing, development of plot is structured the same way than in a tv season
-cliffhanger moment at the end of an episode
-we want to have players to get the feeling of "just one more episode and then I'll stop playing"
-the ending leaves some things open for a sequel but ties up the main plot, just like in tv series

When is it coming out?
-When it's done
-We have a good vibe about the game and the current development process

That is a pretty good summary of the podcast that was released today at http://pelaajalehti.com/2008/10/03/mita-kuuluu-alan-wake-haastattelussa-kasikirjoittaja-sami-jarvi/

The what was ready at 2005 E3 part is somewhat wrong as they didn't say that the engine or technology was ready or close to it. It was only said, that they had worked on them a lot.

There is supposed to be something released on that site later today, maybe pics...

edit: I was disapointed that they didn't say or wasn't asked anything about how the 360 version is holding up against the PC version.

Please tell me this game is coming out for the effing PC.

Its supposed to be. Intel made a big deal about it needing a quad core to turn the physics up to maximum.

I'm more concerned about whether they'll allow the console version to hold the PC version back.

Please tell me this game is coming out for the effing PC.

IIRC.... they announced it as Vista-only. After this long in development, I would hope that it is just a matter of technical support on their end rather than not allowing it to run in XP at all. Or better yet, support XP...

Actually xbox360 is the lead and it has been so for a long time, though, obviously, the game began life on the pc but that was before ms became the publisher.

Actually xbox360 is the lead and it has been so for a long time, though, obviously, the game began life on the pc but that was before ms became the publisher.

Has this been actually confirmed somewhere by the devs?

Has this been actually confirmed somewhere by the devs?

Unfortunately pretty much every game leads on the 360 these days.

The decider is how much the PC version gives up compared to the 360 version...

Are they the same?... Or is the PC version allowed to flex its muscles?

I'm hoping Alan Wake is one of those games where the PC will be given the chance to really flex that graphical capability!

While, given Remedy's technical background, I have no doubt it will look great on the 360, it surely won't run on it with the same graphical fidelity we saw being demonstrated a few years ago at that Intel conference. And given today's vastly superior tech, I hope their engine scales really well and that they push the PC version to make use of it.

Unfortunately pretty much every game leads on the 360 these days.

The decider is how much the PC version gives up compared to the 360 version...

Are they the same?... Or is the PC version allowed to flex its muscles?

I'm hoping Alan Wake is one of those games where the PC will be given the chance to really flex that graphical capability!
Consoles should be a lot easier to develop for.... I don't find it surprising at all taking into account how open and diversified PC hardware is

I never visit Neogaf, I don't know why (I did sometimes but there are too many threads there, too many good and bad info all together). I find it peculiar you visit that webpage. Thanks for the info....

They are a small team, and finnish after all. They mention the development process in a familiar way. Looks like they are programming the game in a small house and around a chimney. It's nice to know they have a good vibe about the game

The new screenshot seems to be challenging Heavy Rain !

273.jpg

Let's not bring another title into this? Especially with such early screenshots?

Was Max Payne such a good-looking game way back when? I seem to remember it more for gameplay and ambiance.

Back