[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

And why should we care about Alan Wake so much now?
That's not a hard question to answer,I'll try to answer it casually....Its because its an exclusive, even more so because its the first proper exclusive that's using an engine built specifically for the xbox 360's hardware from scratch. Due to this its no wonder that fans from the opposite userbase brought about a lot of bashing & provoking when they found its subHD. And then, there's the obvious 'defence' that's to be done by the suffering fanbase & hence the opaque geometry resolution which was formerly only used as a technical term to define what we all referred to as native resolution, became a layman's term. :p

Expectations have been pretty big for this one considering its 5 year long development and hype

If its like Tekken 6 you would be better off with a lower res and more post processing.

im sure it better the way remedy did it. But some people think that being 720p is important for them. Just as a option to have for those people would be nice.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remedy patch the game to give the game a tekken 6 like option render it at a higher res but with like less intense post processing?
Why would they do that? Most serious videogame mags have stated that the game looks impressive, and from the vid I saw it does. Actually most people agreed till we heard about the resolution...
For me the reactions/noise around alan Wake are only a testament to how good the game looks no matter some short coming...

Last edited by a moderator:
And why should we care about Alan Wake so much now? The game never got half so much attention until something with which to bash it was found...now it has a spunoff 3 page thread and so on. It is the same on Neogaf, only once this news came is the game thread constantly bumped and growing at light speed.

Part of the problem is that some feel like the devs are actively trying to decieve them. They know full well what people are refering to when they talk of native resolution. I think it would be the same for any game to some extent and being exclusive amplifies it.

If the game is looking great it doesnt matter what the res is.

The only interesting thing about the whole discussion to me, is the apparent power of Beyond3D. You have one guy, Shifty I think, talking about opaque geometry resolution, and suddenly I'm seeing the term in just about every Alan Wake discussion going on at gaming websites. I'd never really seen anyone use that term before, and with respect to this game it has gone viral.

To me, all that matters is that the game looks good. Is 540p ideal for me? Definitely not. But if it ends up looking good, then I don't really care. I'm a bit worried it'll look too soft, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played it. I do have a small screen, so it will be much less of an issue for me.

The only interesting thing about the whole discussion to me, is the apparent power of Beyond3D. You have one guy, Shifty I think, talking about opaque geometry resolution, and suddenly I'm seeing the term in just about every Alan Wake discussion going on at gaming websites. I'd never really seen anyone use that term before, and with respect to this game it has gone viral.

To me, all that matters is that the game looks good. Is 540p ideal for me? Definitely not. But if it ends up looking good, then I don't really care. I'm a bit worried it'll look too soft, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played it. I do have a small screen, so it will be much less of an issue for me.
Actually the term is used quiet often while speaking about deferred rendered. The format used for the frame buffer uses what should be the alpha channel for something else so there is no transparency => hence the opaque geometry thingy.
usually transparent objet are renderer through standard forward renderer.
I fell ike quiet some members or mod may have explained this in a better way or more accurately but anyway...

Well, I'm sure the way he used it is correct, and I understood it clearly. I just find it weird how quickly that terminology is being parroted by laymen, which would include myself. Most people just talk about resolution, and we understand what they mean, though they might not understand the difference between buffers and rendering methods. Suddenly you have guys in game forums all over talking about opaque geometry resolution. The term has obviously been picked up and caught on.

The powaah of B3D & its mods ! :)
I am seriously surprised over this...I'm pretty sure that even lots of 12 years old gamers surfing the internets now must know about B3D & Shifty :p

That's not a hard question to answer,I'll try to answer it casually....Its because its an exclusive, even more so because its the first proper exclusive that's using an engine built specifically for the xbox 360's hardware from scratch. Due to this its no wonder that fans from the opposite userbase brought about a lot of bashing & provoking when they found its subHD. And then, there's the obvious 'defence' that's to be done by the suffering fanbase & hence the opaque geometry resolution which was formerly only used as a technical term to define what we all referred to as native resolution, became a layman's term. :p

I don't know about tech but...
Alan Wake was on PC also in the beginning, is it likely that the engine really is 100% dedicated to the 360?

I have read at many places that AW uses software tesselation...If it is purely for the 360, wouldn't it make more sense to go with the hardware tesselator unit present in the console?

But all this talk about resolution being too low, makes me wonder how 360/PS3 games would look if they were made for 480p

I can't believe how many people are jumping forums in the Alan Wake Wars. Seems like the new buzzword is "opaque geometry."

The sad part is people don't realize lower resolution games can actually look significantly better unless you have a monster sized tv. The same thing will happen next gen where 1080p will be expected to be the norm, but the best looking games will be 720p.

The sad part is people don't realize lower resolution games can actually look significantly better unless you have a monster sized tv. The same thing will happen next gen where 1080p will be expected to be the norm, but the best looking games will be 720p.

720p to 1080p involves just one upsampling step, though.
the bad with subHD games today is that you need to upsample them from the subHD res to 720p and then again from 720p to 768p or 1080p

the bad with subHD games today is that you need to upsample them from the subHD res to 720p and then again from 720p to 768p or 1080p

The quality of the scaling on the 360 tends to be very good. I'd say scaling issues are almost negligible. Being a lower resolution game could be a problem, but until we have it in our hands to play it, I'm not going to pass any judgments. I was looking forward to 720p with 4x MSAA, but things can still turn out very well.

Why would you want to upscale to 1080p? thats meaningless and the differences between 720p and 768p are so small that I'd be suprised if anyone could tell the difference. I don't know any games that render in 720p natively that look better upscaled to 1080p.

Why would you want to upscale to 1080p? thats meaningless and the differences between 720p and 768p are so small that I'd be suprised if anyone could tell the difference. I don't know any games that render in 720p natively that look better upscaled to 1080p.

Well, if you're using a 1080p tv, it'll either be upscaled to 1080p by the console or by the tv if you have the console set to 720p. That's what he means.

well, you need to upscale to 768p or 1080p depending on your tv set.

Back