[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

The lighting is very well worked; well directed too for atmosphere. As for the atmospherics, have they just gone to town with XB360's alpha fillrate and zillions of polygon particles?
Yeah, they really went all out with the transparencies in the game.

I can't wait for the game, and of course DF analysis.:cool:

The lighting is very well worked; well directed too for atmosphere. As for the atmospherics, have they just gone to town with XB360's alpha fillrate and zillions of polygon particles?
Remedy already mentioned that they are doing A2C for transparencies.

:???: How are they doing their fog then?

Here is the quote about alpha to coverage:

"We like 4xAA. Due to the alpha-to-coverage feature on the Xbox 360 GPU, it's one of the key reasons we can render a lot of "alpha test" foliage like trees and bushes without them starting to shimmer or dither (as alpha-to-coverage with 4xAA effectively gives us 5 samples of alpha "blend" without actually using alpha blend). Of course that leads into a lot of interesting ways how to get the the other "standard" z-buffer based rendering schemes to not alias, but let's not get into that discussion right now.

SamiV."

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=23

Maybe you can tell me what that means, and whether that means they're doing fog with alpha-to-coverage, because I certainly don't know the answer.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68521&postcount=10
The game is 720p. Those screenshots are based off footage captured at 960x540 like cocorenut pointed out, of course there will be some downsampling involved.

As has said before Videogameszone and Gamepro both released footage without approval and due to the fact that we don't know how many compressions their videos went through or what process they took it's best not to use those videos as sources.

Let's not discuss resolution yet as it's clearly unconfirmed and doesn't tally with other info (odd vertical height). Wait until we have a proper count from the FB analysis thread before celebrating/complaining! ;)

The visuals of this game are stunning. Especially if we take into consideration the scale. I personally go by what the developer claims that it is 720p

I have a strong feeling that it's not 720P judging by Alstrong's comments and others. That said, a new to me daylight video like this is still just gorgeous nonetheless and one of the best looking games of this gen. And it may sound like a copout, and I'd certainly rather have 720P than not, but I think this game with it's muted, soft, dreamlike world is well suited to sub HD if any game is. And 4XAA is a nice consolation prize too. Being subHD didn't stop MGS4 from being considered one of the visual showcases of this generation.

Quaz51 confirms 960x540 in the pixel-counter's emporium, which is all our resident pixel counters in agreement! ;)

Originally Posted by Quaz51
it's 960x540, no doubt. video resolution don't change the result of the native resolution.

This is what I was saying. The only thing remaining is the standard answer from Remedy when this stuff happens, “The game is rendered in such and such resolution but the 360 upscales the image to 720P.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Quaz51 confirms 960x540 in the pixel-counter's emporium, which is all our resident pixel counters in agreement! ;)

So what is the logic in choosing such a weird resolution+AA?
If they already use 2 tiles, why didn't they choose 720p+2xAA?
If they are indeed using A2C...is this the reason to opt for higher AA instead of higher resolution?

I have a strong feeling that it's not 720P judging by Alstrong's comments and others. That said, a new to me daylight video like this is still just gorgeous nonetheless and one of the best looking games of this gen. And it may sound like a copout, and I'd certainly rather have 720P than not, but I think this game with it's muted, soft, dreamlike world is well suited to sub HD if any game is. And 4XAA is a nice consolation prize too. Being subHD didn't stop MGS4 from being considered one of the visual showcases of this generation.

Maybe, we will see...but I certainly have to rethink my plan to play this baby on the beamer setup...I really thought that the promised IQ (720p+4xAA) would be a perfect match, but sub HD usually don't fit to super large screens...LCD it is then :cry:

So what is the logic in choosing such a weird resolution+AA?
If they already use 2 tiles, why didn't they choose 720p+2xAA?
If they are indeed using A2C...is this the reason to opt for higher AA instead of higher resolution?

Good question, A2C looks really bad without AA (Batlefield Bad Company 2) but 2XAA it enough to look good (Forza 3). Digital Foundry should make an interview to know the details. :smile:

Edit: This is a long shot, but Gears of War renders at 960x720 native when set to SD, so it could be the case with Alan wake uses 960x540 for the same purpose.....one can dream right? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
resolution looks like a was a good trade off because the game still look fantastic

yeah...I remember a discussion at B3D, where people discuss if it is better to reduce resolution to get more "bling", some even stated that they want to see a game with SD and all switches turned to max!
I think we will have to wait and see for ourselves in live, to give a judgement...

yeah...I remember a discussion at B3D, where people discuss if it is better to reduce resolution to get more "bling", some even stated that they want to see a game with SD and all switches turned to max!
Well it "looks" like Alan Wake is for those people specially, who agreed back then :)
When I saw the videos I noticed blur that you normally see in sub HD game but strangely enough I thought it went hand in hand with the game's look, perhaps that 4*AA paid off. Still looks nice though & yea should wait for more concrete proof to base our judgment.

That's pretty low (lowest so far this gen ?) but the game looks pretty good in action. What bothers me is the stuttering/frequent loading i saw in every recent video, hope it will be cleared up in the final version.

Back