3 m PSP's already sold worldwide according to sony

However you are simply incorrect to argue that "Sony is wrong" for making their design choices.
For a handheld its a poor choice . Or do you feel the battery life of the nomad , game gear , lynxs , wonder swan were design choices that some felt were fine for them ?

Notice how all these systems were more powerfull than the gameboy and had better graphics yet worse battery life and of course they all failed .

I frankly haven't seen you put down the xbox but I have explained to you why you were wrong about scaling and other things. If you care to, go ahead and link to something you've said about the xbox.
you should read more then. I've commented that live was a failure , i've commented that the hardrive wasn't as usefull as it culd have been though i've said in both cases this generation they will be more important .

I've complained about games sucking on the system . Just go ahead and look. If your going to make an arguement about my bias then look at sega as that is the only company i'm bias for .

Do you honestly think you're aren't biased either pro Nintendo or anti-Sony?
I'm bias towards the system that meets my needs . Right now its a nintendo system. Mabye sony will make a handheld with decent battery life and then i will support that more .

As it stands i picked up a psp and do use it . Just not as much as a ds because of its limitations If you think i'm bias because i don't over look the flaws of the psp and am very disapointed in its battery life (though not suprised ) and that i don't think its going to beat the ds like many in this forum claim that i'm bias ?

If so why even say it ? I don't see you claiming that kolgar is bias although all he does is praise it while he detracts from the ds ?

The break down is like this

ds

pros battery life , controls ,

no big deals pda functions , movie functions

negatives graphics

psp

pros , graphics , media stick format

no big deals , mp3 playback , umd movie playback

negatives battery life .

And if I were to bring up the sub-par graphics and screen of the DS? What would you say then? Would you think I was being unfair?

say what you want about the graphics. They aren't as good as the psp.

As for the screens the ds has 2 and one has stylus functions all the while at a cheaper price point
not to mention that while the screens aren't the best the only major advantage the psp screen has is its size and as you freely admit comes with its own draw backs like ghosting .

The simple fact is that your statement is not fact

So your telling me that a portable system is not meant to be taken anywhere ? That its really not a portable system ?

Because portable products are meant to be used when you are not at the house and are in the car or on the go .

But really . You shouldn't go around calling people bias when you clearly have no clue what your talking about .

I've owned thePSP now for about three weeks, the first two weeks I mainly listened to music and watched videos from memorystick.
for non UMD functions the battery lasted me well for a day, after I had finished and plugged it back into power it usually still had over 20% battery left, and I used the PSP average watching two 2 h movies and about 2 hour music plus just toying with the xbr.

Now I've got my first UMD game and car adapter.
At weekend I was travelling mainly in a car, had my PSP with me. Battery was 100% when we left.
Played RR during the trip in short (several 15 min - 1h bursts) every now and then (enough to finish the remaining tour of the beginner league, and five or so pro leagues, average 3 tries per track), also tried some music through car stereo (no more than 15 min, as the cheapo cassette adaptor sucked), watched some Memorystick (pr0n)vids too (about 2-3 hours worth of video).

Next morning when we arrived back home (5 am) it still had about 20% juice left (the battery) and I hadn't even plugged in the car adaptor.

So to me, the PSP lasted with a single charge from 2pm to 5am next morning with quite a lot of use.
Remember the PSP is still new toy to me, and it's getting a lot more use now than it will after the novelty has worn off.

Personally, for my lifestyle, I have no complaints about the battery life.

so you had a car adapater but didn't use it while playing ridge racer in your car ?

That sounds really wrong to me .

But anyway . We went to ithaca and on the trip back coulnd't use the psp because it died on the way there

Why should I have used the car adaptor if I still had battery life left?
It's more comfortable to use without an extra cable hanging around.
And the little extra screen brightness really isn't worth it imo.

Well, I did try it once just to check it works (first time I used it). But that was just a couple of minutes.

It worked.. like any power charger works.
Not much difference from the home charger really... you plug it in and it starts charging, you can also use the extra screen brightness, the same experience really as with the home charger, except that it's in the car and in my car the adapter socket sucks 'cos it's too loose or something and you must be careful not to move the adapter much after you've managed to make contact :LOL:
Oh, and the adapter is some cheapo third party chinese one, has a small blue led indicating power and the plug that goes into PSP is a bit more tighter than the home charger's.
Works as it's supposed to.
Don't know how long it would take to charge from 0-100% with the car adapter, haven't yet tried.

Why ? Because nintendo has a battery life that is decent ? I'm not even talking great as i want more life from it too but its double the battery life of the psp .

That is the battery life that the psp should have had at least .

Who says the battery life for Nintendo is decent? My DS averages between 6-10hrs a charge. That's hardly decent (and like my PSP won't last the duration of most of the flights I take).

If the PSP should be getting 10hrs max, the the DS should be getting upwards of 40hrs, yet it doesn't. The SP isn't exactly stellar either (with the light on)...

For a handheld its a poor choice . Or do you feel the battery life of the nomad , game gear , lynxs , wonder swan were design choices that some felt were fine for them ?

Notice how all these systems were more powerfull than the gameboy and had better graphics yet worse battery life and of course they all failed .

Actually the WSC gets the same battery life (20hrs) as the AGB (and does it one battery rather than two), and the NGPC got twice that...

The GP32 has similar battery performance to the SP and a much better screen and graphics.

Sorta punches holes all over the battery life theory doesn't it?

As for the Lynx and Game Gear, you forget that in their day if you didn't want to spend a fortune on alkalines, you had to run NiCads and your typical consumer grade NiCads had even more abysmal performance compared to equivalent alkalines. Even worse, NiCads were/are notoriously sensitive to irregular duty cycles and typically took 6-18 hours to recharge.

Nowadays many portable electronic devices have LiIon or LiPo batteries which can deliver better performance than the equivalent Alkaline battery (or similar performance in a smaller lighter package). More importantly however, is that LiIon/LiPo batteries are nowhere near as sensitive to irregular duty cycles as NiCads, plus they can typically achieve a 70%-90% charge within 45-90min.

Also, all of the above systems simply didn't provide enough of a product distinction from Nintendo's offerings to give them enough of a competitive edge. (Graphically the GameGear was close though, and the WSC did alright against the AGB at least in Japan).

The PSP aside from it's significant graphical prowess vs. the mainstream competition also happens to have *far* better multimedia capabilities than any of it's competitors as well as offering the ability to accomodate up to 2GB (at current flash densities) of secondary storage without relying on the systems primary content delivery mechanism.

Actually the WSC gets the same battery life (20hrs) as the AGB (and does it one battery rather than two), and the NGPC got twice that...
owning a ngpc and a wonderswan i can tell u i have never gotten battery life close to that . But i get battery life of 12 hours on my gba . My neogeo pocket used to last about 8 hours . I used to play the sonic game all the time . That was a fun unit .

Also my ds has never gotten less than 10 hours off a full charge. Are you sure your charging the unit fully .

kolgar said:
Give it a year or 18 months. When PSP gets down to $149 or $99,
i've never actuly laughed out loud and then typed "LOL" until now. do you really expect sony to chop $100-$150 off hardware they are already loosing money on in the next 12 months? you'll be looking at a $50 price drop at best, and then it'll likely come with the removal of the "value pack" items in north america.

kolgar said:
...and future iterations will only get better.
in the future toyota will make a flying car. that doen't make my echo fly. don't judge the PSP by how cool sony is going to make it when it's redesigned. it's only as good as it is now.

kolgar said:
I believe necessity should be the mother of invention. You innovate to address real, specific needs - not merely to be different.
necessity is always the mother of invention. if you can't accept the theory that nintendo created the DS because it felt current input meatods were hindering creative games, the accept that nintendo *needed* something to compete against the psp.

archie4oz said:
40hrs from a NGPC? i used to play my NGPC at work (40hrs a week) and had to change the batteries at least once a week, usualy twice if i left it running most of the day.

see colon:

I could see Sony dropping PSP by $100 in 18 months, especially if sales are lower than they'd like. (And if all the PSP d00m & gl00m3rs in this forum are correct, Sony may have to. :) )

Anyway - who knows when it will happen, but it will happen. PSP will eventually find itself at a price point that competes with Nintendo's offerings.

Dat's all I'm sayin'.

Teasy, I knew I'd hear from you. Let me clarify my position.

I can't say that I want any platform to fail. What's the point of that?

But didn't you actually say that you wanted DS to fail because you didn't think it deserved to sell? Not in this thread but in the past on this forum. Am I completely wrong and mistaking someone elses comments for yours?

I dunno, Teasy. I was wondering about that, too. You see, I'd been fantasizing about Jennifer Garner that day, and she'd already turned me down three times, so I was feeling pretty grumpy.

I'm happy to say, I scored in the end, and all's well that ends well. While I may still not be crazy about the DS's philosophy, I can tell you today that I most certainly do not wish the machine to fail. (Good thing, too, because it's selling like gangbusters.)

Now, happy E3 to you. This is going to be a good one. :p

I agree Kolger that the PSP will evenually drop to $149, when I couldn't tell you. But when that happens honestly we all know that the DS will probably be sold anywhere between the prices of $79 to $99. So, even when the price of the PSP comes down Nintendo will under cut it with a price cut of there own.

When the price of the PSP hits $149 I might buy my girl one because she has been interested just the price is a little to steep for her. Which is good for Sony because she has always hated handhelds. She never saw the point in having one. She told me with movies and music it makes a little more sense.
________
Marijuana Seed

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's what I mean - by the time PSP hits $149 or so, its "cool factor" and additional features will open up the market. People who never considered a portable before will wind up buying PSP.

Doesn't matter if Nintendo systems are priced lower - this will be the first time a multimedia fun machine like PSP ever pushed into these lower price ranges, making it affordable and attractive to a much wider audience.

Doesn't matter if Nintendo systems are priced lower - this will be the first time a multimedia fun machine like PSP ever pushed into these lower price ranges, making it affordable and attractive to a much wider audience.
you can get a ngage qd for 50$

mckmas8808 said:
Its obvious that you can't compare the multimedia functions on the Ngage to the PSP. So Kolger makes a great point.

Err why not ?

Ngage lets you talk on the phone and listen to music

The psp lets you watch movies on umd and listen to music

jvd said:

nGage is a non-event. Sony's got the games, they've got the name recognition. There's no comparison.

Seriously, ask most people whether they'd rather have a Nokia nGage or a Sony PSP - even if they have absolutely no friggin idea what you're talking about - I guarantee you they'll tell you the Sony. ;)

But that is not what your saying .

You said this will be the first time a multimedia fun machine was ever pushed into these lower price ranges and sadly its already been done by the n-gage which is true .

ALso the ds will have pda functions and a stylus . It also has add ons for videos . At the 150$ price point and while i will amidt that the quality isn't as good as the psp's quality it is done already at a lower price point .

You may end up in 4 years or so they have a 150$ psp vs a 75$ ds + pda functions and for many a cheap pda will be as big of a draw as a cheap umd video player and mp3 play back .

Ngage lets you talk on the phone and listen to music

The psp lets you watch movies on umd and listen to music
you can watch movies on an ngage as well. they come with real player and there are a few 3rd party ones also.

Seriously, ask most people whether they'd rather have a Nokia nGage or a Sony PSP - even if they have absolutely no friggin idea what you're talking about - I guarantee you they'll tell you the Sony.
what if they are looking for a phone, something to run small java applications on, or something that fits comforibly in your pocket?

Its obvious that you can't compare the multimedia functions on the Ngage to the PSP
you're right. i mean, who would want a multimedia device that supports things like AAC right out of the box so they can play files they purchased from a service like itunes? or a device that supports an common video codec like real? FM radio, who needs that?

the ngage is a more versitile multimedia device. the screen is small giving the PSP a big win in video but i'd give the ngage a lead in audio.

where i live they retail for $99.99US for prepaid phone service. i think if you get service though a carrier there is either a $50 rebate or $50 off instantly.

Back