3:8 vertex and pixel shader in X800 and NV40 - coincidence?

tcchiu

Newcomer
Does anybody ever wonder why the ratio of the numbers of the vertex shaders and pixel shaders in the latest designs from ATI and nVidia is the same - 3:8 ? Both have 6 vertex shaders and 16 pixel shaders.

It wasn't the same with the former generation.

R3xx =

2 quads / 4 VS

R4xx =

4 quads / 6 VS

NV3x =

1 quad / 3 VS

NV4x =

4 quads / 6 VS

I guess both IHVs saw that 6 are perfectly sufficient for 4 quads.

Evaluation via research and experiments probably. Most likely not only today's software. Both major IHVs have large DevRel teams that deal with what ISVs are working on as in future projects or what developers exactly want.

If X amount of Z is deemed to be sufficient for a specific estimated time-period and it can fit in the transistor budget, then X it will be. I know it sounds a big vague, but there are DevRel or IHV employees active on this board that can correct me or be way more specific about your questions.

Well it's really hard to get into vertex limited situations on R3xx cards.
Most games are either fillrate limited or CPU (system) limited. (Usually, it depends on the settings.)

So it was logical that the 4:8 ratio would be reduced.
I wonder though if the NV44 will have 1.5 vertex shader pipeline ;)

I wonder though if the NV44 will have 1.5 vertex shader pipeline.

ROFL :LOL:

I was just thinking of a scenario of not using any MIMDs at all for the value line (which would be cheaper from the HW perspective?), but I doubt it's worth designing a different unit for products of the same generation. It should be easier to just scale it down to a 2-way MIMD or just use the same 3-way as the 6600 has.

Mariner said:
DaveBaumann said:
My current understanding is that NV44 will be 3 VS, 1 Quad, 64-bit.

Ackk! Pathetic performance, here we come! :(

What, you expected something other than pathetic performance from the proud successor to the even prouder 5200 ?

assen said:
What, you expected something other than pathetic performance from the proud successor to the even prouder 5200 ?

Don't know what you guys expect from these ultra low end parts. I consider them analogous to on-board video. What are the specs on ati offering to compete with the NV44?

trinibwoy said:
assen said:

Don't know what you guys expect from these ultra low end parts. I consider them analogous to on-board video.

What you pay is what you get (well at least in the majority of cases). Anyway even ultra low end parts are still somewhat a better idea than integrated graphics IMHO.

trinibwoy said:
Xmas said:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html

Thanks. Does the NV44 have support for a 128bit bus as well?

Not supporting a 128 bit bus would make the NV44 a tough chip to sell imo. Unless they're going to put some really fast memory on it instead. Anyway, they need some good benchmarks using the 128 bit bus version and then they can sell the 64 bit versions to people that doesn't know better. As a sidenote, try and find reviews of the 64 bit bus versions of the 5200, X300 or 9600. They're not exactly all over the place. I did a quick search for the X300 and the only review i found was using the 128 bit version.

Bjorn said:
As a sidenote, try and find reviews of the 64 bit bus versions of the 5200, X300 or 9600. They're not exactly all over the place. I did a quick search for the X300 and the only review i found was using the 128 bit version.

Very true indeed, and yet the X300SE has found its way into a truckload of top-tier PCI-E OEM systems. Ironic that the DX7 GF4MX survived far beyond its expected life span as an OEM darling, and the DX9 (sic) FX5200 has sputtered badly after a single cycle with NVDA forced to drastically cut its orders to TSMC and still coping with an inventory glut in the channel. It's a cutthroat, razor-thin margin market that neither IHV can afford to neglect.

Hum interesting... apparently we haven't been throwing enough polygons at the R3x0 cards then, and now they take that right from us :)

I would be interested to see how the 3 vertex-units of the X800 match up to the 4 vertex units in the 9800 series. I don't suppose there are any benchmark figures around yet?

I would be interested to see how the 3 vertex-units of the X800 match up to the 4 vertex units in the 9800 series.

A quick read of just about any X800 material would tell you it's got 6 vertex shaders.

Back