2Wire DSL wireless router is locked up on weekdays?

randycat99

Veteran
It seems my wireless router gets locked-up some time during the day, but only on weekdays. Weekends, it works fine w/o needing a reset. It's just weekdays, it is locked-up everytime I come home from work, requiring me to hard reset it at the powerline. Anybody have any ideas what this kind of behavior could be a symptom of???

Further troubleshooting reveals that when it is in this "state", the router is not responsive to either wireless access or direct ethernet connection access. Pinging the router address yields a "host is down" message. No network or internet access, at all. No computers on my end are operational during the day on my network. So any ideas, guys? If the router is going bad, why does it seem fine on the weekends? If it got hacked, why don't they hijack it completely and change the password outright? If it is getting attacked, shouldn't I get some sort of pop-up message when it sees a SYN, DoS, etc. occurring (the options to detect for those things are enabled)? I guess I would have to be online while it is happening, not after the fact, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried updating firmware? If that is an option, of course.

I've had routers do strange things in certain circumstances because of a specific firmware.

There probably isn't much you can do to fix it outside of updating firmware or getting a new one... Not sure though.

Thank you for responding! I've checked, and it is at the most current firmware ver, and no other upgrades are available at this time.

It was down again today when I came home. I have no idea what's up with this thing.

If you do, at least you'll know if it is a bug limited to just weekdays, or if it is some kind of hacker crashing your router that takes the weekends off. :D

Remarkably the router stayed up all this week for some reason (coincidentally in sync with when I submitted a help email to SBC tech support). I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

Back