$255 Core SKU for Japan Nov 2

In itself, probably not. But if Ms can finally get their japanese game development to produce some good titles... we'll know soon if Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey can live up to the challenge.

If it doesnt include a memory card whats that saving them, $40? MS thinks thats the problem, its $40 too expensive? No wonder theyre a mess in JP.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060907/tc_nm/microsoft_xbox_dc

With only 158,654 units sold in Japan, they seem willing to put up with significant losses to increase their install base.

However, I don't expect it to have any effect.

What significant losses? All they are doing is releasing the Core 360 in Japan, which they haven't offered yet.

Sure it's $45 cheaper than in the US, but before MS could suffer significant losses they would first have to make significant sales. ;)

What significant losses? All they are doing is releasing the Core 360 in Japan, which they haven't offered yet.

Sure it's $45 cheaper than in the US, but before MS could suffer significant losses they would first have to make significant sales. ;)

Exactly, they WISH they had significant losses! :D

that article didnt mention it but its $45 cheaper plus 2 free games
Microsoft announced a new Xbox 360 bundle called the Xbox 360 Core System Hatsubai Kinen Pack, which will come with two free games: Ninety Nine Nights and Project Gotham Racing 3

Sounds like a good deal, the question is, however, does it sound like a good deal to the Japanese gaming population.

Sounds like a good deal, the question is, however, does it sound like a good deal to the Japanese gaming population.

No, they couldn't give away the XBX when I was there last. I doubt especially when the Wii & PS3 launch in a few months time that its reduced cost will even matter. MS should simply accept japan as an impenetrable territory.

No, they couldn't give away the XBX when I was there last. I doubt especially when the Wii & PS3 launch in a few months time that its reduced cost will even matter. MS should simply accept japan as an impenetrable territory.

The 360 has way better japanese software than XBOX ever had, at least they will fairly soon.

The brand itself is dead in Japan. They won't admit it publicly but Xbox as a brand is just dead, it's obvious. It's not even successful enough to create a viable niche market. Stores were already cutting prices of the 360 by themselves before the official SKU changes were announced.

They are in a situation where the previous console built a bad reputation that the current console still carries through association. There is no trust and there is no perceived promise in the system. Software outside of FF/DQ numbered exclusive will not make a difference. They would have better success selling it under a different brand name but even that is debateable in this day and age.

Back