24hr. Clock

mkillio

Regular
I was watching C-SPAN yesterday and there was an author presenting his book and, I forget the name of it, but it was about daylight savings and all the different time zones and everything and he stated the point that we all live on the same planet and that their should only be one time for it. Meaning that if it's 9 o'clock in Indiana then it's 9 o'clock in Australia. He also though that it should be a 24hr. clock. I must say that I absolutley agree with him, it's stupid for it to be Monday here and Tuesday in Japan. I was just wondering what everyone else's take is on this, especially you international's.

mkillio said:
Meaning that if it's 9 o'clock in Indiana then it's 9 o'clock in Australia.
Well I'm for that, I think everyone being on Indiana time would be hella convenient for me.

You do mean the bit of Indiana that's on daylight savings time and not the silly people down south, right? :|

He also though that it should be a 24hr. clock.
Now that is just plain crazy talk, next thing you know they'll try and make us adopt the metric system. :rolleyes:

I have always thought that daylight savings time was a stupid concept. I have never really been opposed to the 12hour clock or time zones, but with the global comunity coming around it wouldn't be a bad thing to ditch time zones and if we do that the whole AM/PM thing would have to go as well.

That is because it was a completly moronic idea to try and replace the commonly accepted GMT as a time global standard with one that would take a lot more math to convert to from conventional time zones.

ninelven said:
Meaning that if it's 9 o'clock in Indiana then it's 9 o'clock in Australia.
The problem with that is that then time wouldn't really mean anything.
Exactly. [edit] After adding the bold part. That's how I read it, and I think that's how you meant it. [/edit]

You can't change that there will be a different time of the day in different parts of the world (the world is round, you know). So there will be at least one inconvenience, whatever style you choose to give time. Either you need timezones, or you need to re-learn at what time things use to happen whenever you travel (or communicate with people in other parts of the world). So you'd still need some kind of timezones. But instead of saying how to convert timestamps between the zones, they would say at what time you use to go to work, when stores open, and so on.

Timezones (as we know them now) are BY FAR the smallest problem here.

ninelven said:
It would mean the same thing that GMT means now, just without the need for conversion.
No it wouldn't. When I hear it is 9am in London, I can guess about where the sun is - is it morning, noon, night, etc. If for example it was simply 9 I wouldn't have any idea what time (with respect to the sun) it really was across any significant distance.

Regardless of if you say "9am in London" or just "9" meaning 9am GMT, the sun is still going to be in the same position over London. If I say its 10pm in Ancorage do you think its dark? It Isn't. ;)

But if the sun is at the highest point in the sky over Texas then it is obviously half way though night in India, seeing as the locations are half way around the world from eachother; you don't need a number to tell you that.

But again, if you know where Zaire is on the globe in relation to where you are, you don't need to know what they consider the time to be there in order to know when it is close to dawn there. However, with a standardized time for the globe, If your friend happens to call when you are on your way to work and will be back shorty after 14 and he doesn't have to do any math to know when would be a good time to call back.

I call someone on the phone, they say its 9 (24h global time). How would i know exactly what regular (time system we currently use) time it was? 9 for this person might be midnight. Keep the current system, dont mess with a good thing.

epic

epicstruggle said:
I call someone on the phone, they say its 9 (24h global time). How would i know exactly what regular (time system we currently use) time it was? 9 for this person might be midnight.

Good point.

Two problems with a global time scheme:
1. wouldn't be practical for reasons stated above
2. wouldn't be useful: we can already use GMT if we need coordination with other longitudes

1. You don't have to worry about "regular (time system we currently use) time it was", you just ask them where they are located and the from there it is obvious.

2. The point is to simply to use GMT and ditch the timezones.

world time?... tuned for Indiana?....yeah, sure, i would love to wake up at afternoon and its still dark outside....

:LOL:

kyleb said:
But if the sun is at the highest point in the sky over Texas then it is obviously half way though night in India, seeing as the locations are half way around the world from eachother; you don't need a number to tell you that.
For me, living where I am, it's pretty much impossible to know that india is halfway around the globe compared to texas. You (wrongfully) assume everybody know exactly where every location is in relation to every other. That is NOT the case. How would you expect this system to work when there are so many americans that can't even pin down their own country on a map of the globe? :p

No, this is a plain dumb idea to solve a non-problem.

Oh by the way, you know what else we need to fix? This IRRITATING hemisphere problem! I'm sick and tired that it's high summer on christmas eve in south africa and australia and such places! Someone obviously has to do something about that, I suggest we make a new world standard that pegs winter to the northern hemisphere's climate cycle. It would probably be a little bit of a bother for the southern hemisphere to readjust, but overall I'm sure they would all agree this would be MUCH better. Finally all those classical christmas songs will make sense for them as well.

Back