10M HDTVs sold, 15.5M by end of 2005

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050328_123402.html

In-Stat reports that about 10 million homes around the world already are watching HDTV programming on a high-definition TV set. By the end of 2005, the worldwide total of HDTV households is will be 15.5 million, the market research firm estimates. The technology is expected to post strong growth over the next five years reaching about 52 million households in 2009.

As early adopters are more likely than average consumers to have HDTVs, I think this validates the idea that MS and Sony (BR) are targeting HD users is a smart move. Also a significant portion of gamers between now and when next gen console sales go mainstream ($200 price point, probably in 2007 and 2008) will have HDTVs if the 52M projection is correct.

In other news LCD sales are rising: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050328_134624.html

Prices of flat panels (LCDs in particular) are expected to drop 20-30% during this year alone.

Yes, HDTV support IS here and now. :)

Ty said:
Prices of flat panels (LCDs in particular) are expected to drop 20-30% during this year alone.

:cry:

I just got 2 L90D+ monitors to work on :( I am gonna scream if these reach $250 by the end of the year!! o_O

If they keep dropping like this gamers will be able to pick up a LCD monitor just for gaming :!: I am hoping that 17-19in LCD HDTVs take off. Imagine seeing 17" HDTV/Monitors running in the $100-$150 range :oops: I honestly believe something like that would just explode into the mass market.

IMO this means that next gen should be able to plug-in a PC monitor (like NRev)so those 80+20+20 millions (S+M+N) can use the HD era.

Acert93 said:
Ty said:

:cry:

I just got 2 L90D+ monitors to work on :( I am gonna scream if these reach $250 by the end of the year!! o_O

If they keep dropping like this gamers will be able to pick up a LCD monitor just for gaming :!: I am hoping that 17-19in LCD HDTVs take off. Imagine seeing 17" HDTV/Monitors running in the $100-$150 range :oops: I honestly believe something like that would just explode into the mass market.

actually, i'm in search for a good 19" lcd TV/monitor with at least component input so i can play some games in high res trough my xbox patched to NTSC
but i wait a bit more till prices drop

Ty said:

But LCDs have the worse black level of all display tech.. :?

TexT said:
Ty said:

The L90D+ has a contrast ration of 700:1 and the same panel in the Samsung 19" has been rated at 800:1. All marketing numbers, but the color and contrast is EXCELLENT on the L90D+. Reviews agree. I have no complaints about the black levels.

My complaint would be it is a 6bit panel (advertised as "16.7M color") and has very faint dithering. It is unoticable though for the most part. The only time I have noticed is when working on a black gradiant BG on a website. But it was acceptible by web standards.

This is very interesting as "everyone" in the states can buy a HDTV "cheap" or whatever according to many poster´s.
My two question´s is

1. Say PS3 launches max within 18month´s from now in EU what will a decent 720HDTV 28/32inch cost?
2. Can someone point me too a website that sell´s 720HDTV´s NOW in SWEDEN as that will give a good picture of whole EU, maybe GudenOden or some other countrybrother.

www.prisjakt.nu

32" LCDs with 720p seem to go for around 15-20k SEK(~1600-2100 euro). But I don't really know how representative Sweden is for the rest of the EU, since I was under the impression that you pay a premium for most stuff here, heh. Germany supposedly has the best prices for tech stuff, so I guess if someone could pull some numbers from there it'd be interesting to compare.

Is there any projection for the "Full HD" (1920x1080p) penetration? Full HD is currently in high-end but electronics makers are already targetting resolutions beyond Full HD such as 4096X2160.

one said:
Is there any projection for the "Full HD" (1920x1080p) penetration? Full HD is currently in high-end but electronics makers are already targetting resolutions beyond Full HD such as 4096X2160.

Correct me if I am wrong but 720p and 1080i are HD--I am not aware that they are considered anything less than "full" Hi Def. Is "Full" a new industry word going around or one you are using specifically for the progressive 1080 resolution format?

Btw, my impression of reading different sites on HD, 720p and 1080i look like the main targets for media. While some media may support 1080p, I think it is probably doomed to be on the extreme fringe "cherry on top... but not a standard" kind of deal. The only things I could see making consumers push toward 1080p (and we know how long it has taken for HD) is if all the new consoles supported 1080p and the HD-DVD and BR standard called for all movies to be at 1080p.

Btw, is 1080p limited to 30fps?

Acert93 said:
one said:

Correct me if I am wrong but 720p and 1080i are HD--I am not aware that they are considered anything less than "full" Hi Def. Is "Full" a new industry word going around or one you are using specifically for the progressive 1080 resolution format?
It seems Full HD has been an industry word for some time, but still emerging as only highend products can boast it now.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1426,00.html
Sharp’s LC-45GD6U AQUOS™ is a breathtaking 45" widescreen HDTV1 that can easily enhance the decor of any family room, living room or den. The LC-45GD6U is the largest LC-TV on the market today (along with other 45" Sharp models), and it displays all content in full HD spec (1080p) resolution, the highest of the DTV resolutions. With a 16:9 aspect ratio, unbeatable resolution of 1920 x 1080 and vivid color purity, it is a next-generation TV to carry you into the high-definition future.

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=1
JVC EXPANDS HD-ILA REAR PROJECTION HDTV LINE WITH NEW SCREEN SIZES & 1080P SETS

Proprietary three-chip D-ILA microdisplay technology to be offered in 52-, 56-, 61- and 70-inch screen sizes.

LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2005 – Building on the successful 2004 launch of its HD-ILA microdisplay rear projection televisions, JVC Company of America expands the line this year with the addition of two new screen sizes and two sets that provide 1080p resolution.

First offered in 52- and 61-inch screen sizes, JVC will add 56- and 70-inch sets this year. The company will market 720p versions in all four screen sizes, plus 1080p 56-, 61- and 70-inch sets. All of JVC’s HD-ILA rear projection TVs use the company’s three-chip D-ILA (Direct-drive Image Light Amplifier) technology that has been used for many years in the company’s high performance professional video projectors.

“Our first HD-ILA displays were very well-received last year, and we showed that our technology can deliver the superior performance promised and the reliability the market demands,â€￾ said Michael Holmes, Vice President, Consumer Display Division, JVC Company of America. “This year, with full HD versions, more screen sizes and added features, we’ll firmly establish D-ILA as the most advanced microdisplay technology available, and offer a line that appeals to an even larger market.â€￾

Ty said:
TexT said:

Well it is getting better though. And there is always Plasma. :)

According to CNET best TV for gaming article, New model Plasmas have better black levels than LCDs and DLPs.

They put LCDs dead last, DLPs second to last, then Plasmas for black levels. And other display tech above plasma.

CRT is still King!

i presume in 12-18months time we will find 32inch LCD with 720P - 1080I
around 800-1100 euro regarding brandname and extras.

one said:
Acert93 said:
Thanks one :) You learn something every day!
Welcome :)
That said, I bet they'll pull the plug on non-full-HD in 3 years.

While I would love 1080p @ 60fps being the *standard* I am sure a lot of people who have purchased HDTVs would be pretty upset if they pulled the plug entirely. That said it looks like HDTV is totally scalable and takes advantage of whatever resolution you are using. In that case, making 1080p the standard for media, adn scaling to whatever output level the consumers TV will handle would be great.

Back