1080p 30fps VS 720p 60 fps - The 2012 poll

What's your preference?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

function

None functional
Legend
There's a slim possibility that the world won't end at the end of this month and that we'll make in into 2013 and see at least one "next gen" console launch, and just in case I thought it would be interesting to see how B3D feels about resolution vs frame rate in the run up to this.

In reality it's not as simple as this, but these seem like two good points (that everyone should be familiar enough with) to use as reference points.

Mod butt-in: So take it as read that there's the same AA etc., and it's simply a choice between 2x the pixels per area or 2x the pixels per unit of time.

Tough with most TVs and panels now being 1920x1080p native, but all else equal I'm inclined to go for 60fps.

My preference is 60 fps, but I'd trust the devs to make the right choices and not impose a minimum framerate. It's probably worth listing people viewing FOV as I'm sure those with a larger FOV will prefer higher resolution. ;)

My preference is 60 fps, but I'd trust the devs to make the right choices and not impose a minimum framerate. It's probably worth listing people viewing FOV as I'm sure those with a larger FOV will prefer higher resolution. ;)

I sometimes wonder though is that if we never get used to what graphics could be achieved with 30fps, then we'll never regret the visual sacrifice running at 60fps would be making. Which would be a possibility if the industry en-masse says from today on, we're sticking to 60fps. ;)

Otherwise, I'm just hoping that the combination of 3D support and split-screen will make 60fps a more natural choice to begin with.

That's true, but for some games it doesn't matter so much and the eye-candy is preferential. Anything with notable motion though, I love the smoothness of 60 fps.

Dynamic framebuffer dropping to a min of 720p as required, emphasis on maintaining 60fps. That is thought route i hope most devs go.

...Otherwise, I'm just hoping that the combination of 3D support and split-screen will make 60fps a more natural choice to begin with.

I hate the thought of choosing between 30fps and 60fps for 3d. Sacrificing 1080p for 720p at same framerate is a much easier pill to swallow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the game. FFXIII would gain very little in going 60 fps, but other genres feel much better in 60 fps.

For those that actually care about game play experience, the smoothness of 60 FPS is important.

Dynamic framebuffer dropping to a min of 720p as required, emphasis on maintaining 60fps. That is thought route i hope most devs go.

I hate the thought of choosing between 30fps and 60fps for 3d. Sacrificing 1080p for 720p at same framerate is a much easier pill to swallow.

For Passive 3D it's ok, as long as you can minimise lag, the experience is good enough. For Active 3D, you'd need 120fps to get something that feels like 60fps.

If I get the choice for PC version nowadays I go for PC version.
Only reason is because I can run games at 60fps.
60fps equals more responsive gameplay and better immersion imo.

I will settle for 30fps if the games I run aren't capable of achieving 60fps with 3D enabled.

Some of these games like Hitman Absolution don't need 60fps, and looks great in 3D so I can settle for that.

For Passive 3D it's ok, as long as you can minimise lag, the experience is good enough. For Active 3D, you'd need 120fps to get something that feels like 60fps.

I own the HMZ-T1. My point was really that a sacrifice must always be made for running in 3D, and for me sacrificing resolution rather than framerate is the option id prefer. I would accept playing a 1080p 30fps game at 720p 30fps 3D as a fair trade and id likely go for 3D. A 720p 60fps game at 720 30fps for 3D and id almost always decide against 3D.

I do almost all my 3D gaming on PC right now as i cant really stomach the sacrifices on console, but im hoping next gen i can play every game in 3D on the consoles with just a resolution downgrade to 720p framerate intact. Doubt ill get my wish though.

I say, target 1080p60 with good AA and Motion blur, but dynamically what is most apropriate if necessary at intence scenes. In fast paced action sequences AA and 1080p should be scaled back as to mantain framerate steady. On slow paced sequences where exploration and actual inspection of the environment is a key gameplay element, drop to 30fps and keep motion blur reasonably good to acomodate, but mantain that crisp 1080p buffer going.

How would the "game play experience" of FFXIII be better in 60 fps vs the 30 fps it is now?

The vast majority of games that are even moderately twitch based are going to play better at 60fps. There is the odd turn-based or non-twitch game where it won't matter.

It really depends on what kind of gaming I am playing. But I will be really disappointed if 1080p does not become a standard resolution. Sub-HD resolution better stay with this generation.

I would hope a good developer of games I like have some common sense.

Some games I want 720p60 (games where I want a combination of great visual zest and silky smooth framerates).

Some games I want 720p30 (slower paces games that are brought to life with extra pixel quality).

Some games I want 1080p30 (slower games where a balance of pixel quality and clarity is rewarding).

And some games I want 1080p60 (game games that put a premium on sharp, crisp clarity).

I would hope they could make these sort of decisions and also know that there is something to be said about temporal resolution (i.e. 60Hz may provide clarity and sharpness that 30Hz could lack).

Cursed be the developer who sacrifices the above concerns to pump up graphics (eye candy, resolution, framerate, etc) at the expense of gameplay.

I'd vote 1080p 30fps for all games because it means devs would target texture resolution, etc for 1080p, then I could run the same game on my pc at 60fps anyways with 1080p assets. In other words 1080p 30fps for all console games means I could get what I really want, which is 1080p at 60fps for everything on my pc. So here's hoping for 1080p 30fps console games :)

Back