Sony Home - The official thread*

This obviously isn't an isolated case, and given how long 1.3 was supposedly in testing for I've thought of no possible reason for this aside from astounding ineptitude. :(

Id assume that because it is still in Beta that the same levels of QA are not being aplied as they would a normal retail product.

It was probably a mistake to release it to the general public in open beta form, the majority will fail to realise what a beta actually is! The recent practice of releaseing glorified demos as betas has changed people excpectations on what they should be getting.

I had the issue too and reinstalling made it hang at a later point. I guess I need to delete my apartment save but it isn't worth the trouble at this point.

Id assume that because it is still in Beta that the same levels of QA are not being aplied as they would a normal retail product.

It was probably a mistake to release it to the general public in open beta form, the majority will fail to realise what a beta actually is! The recent practice of releaseing glorified demos as betas has changed people excpectations on what they should be getting.

This beta thing is just nonsense. It's publicly available, it's being publicly promoted, and has been out for a year.

Excusing massive, fatal errors which are occurring with apparently alarming regularity on the fact that it's technically a beta is folly.

If you want to go back to the true definition of beta, it should be feature-complete and in stability testing and bugfixing mode only. Sony is joining the ranks of many software companies of using "beta" for years as a label to excuse shoddy software development practices.

Yeah I am surprised none of the testers and community managers caught this bug. It seems pretty prevalent. It almost looks like they only test with a clean Home install.

This beta thing is just nonsense. It's publicly available, it's being publicly promoted, and has been out for a year.

Excusing massive, fatal errors which are occurring with apparently alarming regularity on the fact that it's technically a beta is folly.

If you want to go back to the true definition of beta, it should be feature-complete and in stability testing and bugfixing mode only. Sony is joining the ranks of many software companies of using "beta" for years as a label to excuse shoddy software development practices.

Yeah, I guess they should say "pre-alpha" instead of "beta" (considering the scale of Home). ;)

Yep, had to delete all my Home date before I got 1.3 to work.
Lost my avatars, and personal space furniture arrangements, but it kept all my bought and earned stuff.
Not much of a problem for me, as I hadn't invested much time creating my avatar or apartment anyway.

Yep, had to delete all my Home date before I got 1.3 to work.
Lost my avatars, and personal space furniture arrangements, but it kept all my bought and earned stuff.
Not much of a problem for me, as I hadn't invested much time creating my avatar or apartment anyway.

Hmm....all my stuff was still there after re-install

Did you delete Home data also from the game saves and where the game updates are saved, or did you delete just the Home application?

I would say he didn't as when I got my slim (therefore my save wasn't there) I lost all my furniture placement and avatar settings.

I got the exact same problem as you when i tried, and apart from the odd and very rare crash or the login issues during heavy use this is the first time that this "beta" software have been raising a real problem on my end.

It´s Beta, it´s free, it´s whatever you choose to make it, and you removed it so obviously you don´t give a frak.

Time for US Home content update:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...xeljunk-museum-and-motorstorm-personal-space/

* EA Sports Complex to include NFL jerseys

* Free camera gadget

* 2 new Home spaces: MotorStorm personal space (apartment) and PixelJunk Museum public space. As usual, we can collect items related to the developers' games.

* New mall items:
+ Dethklok items
+ Neptune suite furnitures

* New unnamed virtual items to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (Basically donation drive since 100% of the $$ will go to Brees Dream Foundation)

EU Home Update:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/10/07/ps-home-updates-to-motorstorm-wolverine-v-store-and-more…/

* MotorStorm personal space (same as US)

* Wolverine Blu-ray movie promo items (Adamantium Claws)

* New Mall items:
+ MySoti custom T-shirts
+ board shots, etc.

* Removing:
+ SingStar VIP space for next event
+ MotorStorm public space beta is over.

Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 2 Coming Home

Kotaku said so: http://kotaku.com/5377698/ratchet--clank-uncharted-2-coming-home

R&C:
The Ratchet & Clank space was built with several casual mini-games like find-the-sheep and actually has music that sounds like something out of one of the games. There's a firing range game as well that changes what kind of enemies you're shooting at depending on if you're playing the Past, Present or Future range. Sadly, the apartment isn't Ratchet's apartment from the games – but it does have three levels and a massive view of space from the basement.

Drake:
The Uncharted 2 space is Nepal, complete with prayer flags, breathtaking temples in the background and a massive interactive board game in the middle of the town square. ...

The space has several casual mini games like the sheep-hunting one in the Ratchet & Clank space – but the board game really impressed me. It's called "Fortunate Thieves" and its oriented around changing terrain spaces with treasure hidden on certain tiles. Players choose what terrain map they want to play on (mountainous, desert, etc.) and each get cards that somehow change the terrain (e.g. an earthquake card). This allows them to stall other players out or open up other parts of the map to move to during the movement phase on the hunt for treasure.

And... Jack Buser wants to know what PS3 owners want in Home:
http://kotaku.com/5377702/on-the-future-of-home-if-you-ask-for-it-theyll-build-it

I for one would like to see a Valkyria Chronicles space and a Tales of Vesperia space. I also want some soft of transmogrifier that will turn my realistic-looking avatar into something more appropriately anime for those spaces. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Ratchet & Clank space — it didn't look like you belonged there because you weren't cartoon-y enough.

Also, I really wish they'd open up the building editor to users instead of just developers. If I could build a palace that was just mine, I might form a stronger attachment to my virtual identity in Home than I do from walking around a cookie-cutter-made living space that every other user could easily have. But that's just me.

What do you want to see in Home?

I have some ideas what Home should become. Will post later (Need to organize thoughts)

Tekken 6 in Playstation Home soon

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/10/09/tekken-6-is-complete/

TEKKEN 6 Title Lounge: Host Versus and Co-op Sessions: Gather friends and start matches from the Lounge within PlayStation Home; Online Scenario co-op mode coming free this winter;
Home Rewards: Players have the chance to win exclusive costume pieces and furniture at the Lounge for their personal space.

Sounds like game launching support.

EDIT: The free camera is in. I see people toying with it now:
rlg5u0.jpg

...like playing Afrika:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17960935&postcount=3858
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17962153&postcount=3861
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17962328&postcount=3862

I still see quite a few reports on crashes after re-installing. The Home team should drop everything it's doing now and fix the bug(s) first.

Missed this one. A zombie apartment will be released on October 15th for Halloween:
http://www.alphazone4.com/2009/10/zombies-incoming-to-playstation-home#more-3646

The new mechanics here is you can infect other people:

With the purchase of every Zombie Deadquarters personal space, you’ll be able to “infect” all your friends with a complete Zombie outfit—perfect for throwing zombie dance parties, taking a stroll through the plaza with your undead sweetie, or or scaring the bejeezus out of that annoying dude in the black tank-top that keeps doing the cabbage patch by you.

Hmmm. . .wonder if that will turn out to expose a trivial attack vector for malware (or at least automated griefing) in Home? Considering the lack of robustness in Home it would not surprise me at all if the security model is almost entirely built on obscurity alone.

Cheers

Someone has already hacked the 0.8 beta. :)

The zombie attack feature is one of the capabilities I have been waiting for. I think the future of Home depends on such viral effect.

Back