Sony Home - The official thread*

I doubt it's true. Someone impersonated Sony staff and started to promise "new" features to visitors in Home. The trophy currency "story" is one of those promises.

Sony people have the prefix "<mod>" in front of their names.

Why isn't it free all the time?

Why don't they give you comparable options for configuring your apt. as you had for dressing your character?

One important reason is that it's a beta. They wanted to test the store (good that they did, because downloading images in the store is like the first time PSN went online - sluggish). We don't know what kind of options we'll have in the 'final' release or even the public beta. Also, there may be a lot of free stuff available even in stores to at least convince you to take a look there regularly for instance. And you can already win clothing items also from playing Arcade games. This gave me the chance now by the way to test the summer cottage - pretty neat design!

Oh wow, here we go! Not as much content as I had hoped, but it will be interesting to see which games can be launched from Home and whether those additional game spaces mentioned as coming 'very soon' will be a weekly launch for the rest of the month, to keep people coming back week after week.

A bit more content shown at a recent media event held by SCEE. Some interesting concepts there.

The MotorStorm apartment, a premium customizable living space, is very different to the Harbour Studio and the Summer House that closed beta users have already seen. Based around the MotorStorm franchise it's set on a cliff shelf, overlooking the MotorStorm festival, complete with an animated race taking place below.

The event demonstrated was a PSP-3000 treasure hunt, which asks Home users (Homers?) to find eight hidden numbers, strategically placed around the Events space. These numbers are plugged into an in-Home website and enter you into a prize draw for a real life PSP-3000 (pro tip: look closely at the Loco Roco fountain).

Two other events were mentioned, including a "design your own T-shirt" event, with the winner's design being made available for sale in the Home shopping centre.

The concept art showed a top-down view of the environment, which looks like a Buzz! controller. Questions are pumped through from MyBuzz! and players must stand on the correct colored button to rack up points. Everyone in the room can play the game simultaneously, which means up to 32 people can be running around this virtual Buzz! controller at a time.

The Trophy Room is also briefly mentioned, and it appears that its been put on hold (but not dead). A few other future plans and features that are in the works are also listed.

They need to put a lot more content in.

I logged in a couple of times and haven't really wanted to go back.

Game launching is overdue.

They need to put a lot more content in.

I logged in a couple of times and haven't really wanted to go back.

Game launching is overdue.

Game launching was in the beta last time I logged in. You must have not logged in in a while.

If they made trophies tied to in game gifts I would definitely log in pretty regularly just for that.

But overall my impression is that Home is not really made for hardcore gamers. Its going to attract a different category of people. Social people who like just meeting people and talking to people. It's not really about doing stuff. It's about giving you a space to create relationships with people. And I think many gamers tend to be pretty inept in this area.

Congrats Sony for getting this one out. \^o^/

Insufficient content is correct. But it's a moving target for any content services (You need weekly or even daily updates). Hope Sony has some strategies to sustain the flow of "house content" instead of relying solely on sponsored deals.

Persistence/archive is another one. The online events are for people who have the time to be there at the right moment. I usually missed all of them due to work and family reasons. I believe many people are like me. So please... please reserve some goodies for us. :p

Don't forget to highlight Home activities in PULSE. It's supposed to be THE Playstation Network video blog anyway.

Game launching was in the beta last time I logged in.

I think they restricted it to only Warhawk in 1.0 closed beta. Not sure what 1.0 open beta will do.

In any case, integration is a common complaint. Sony should just get to work and make sure end users can use them... rather than selling a paper or a one-game feature.

EDIT: Just realized they added more stuff to the Central Plaza:

First of all, the Central Plaza now features a new 4 player mini-game called “Saucer Pop,” where each player launches a flying saucer from a take-off pad and flies around popping bubbles. These bubbles contain stars that have points attached, but watch out for the bubbles with bombs which will take you out if you’re not careful. You also must keep an eye on your saucer’s fuel gauge and collect bubbles with fuel cells or else you will quickly meet a watery fate. Success is all about the high scores, so good luck out there! I’ve been playing for a while now while we’ve been developing the game, so I’m getting pretty good…for those of you that know me, prepare to pop!

Secondly, you will also see some changes to Listen@Home. Now, you’ll be able to select from a number of songs and vote on your favorites. Which ever song gets the most votes plays for everyone, so be sure to get your voice heard and get down on the dance floor.

I think they restricted it to only Warhawk in 1.0 closed beta. Not sure what 1.0 open beta will do.

Actually more games were supported, but they only show if you have the game either installed on HDD or in the BD drive - the first Motorstorm, at least (I don't know if there were any others).

Ah I see ! Big mistake on my part and theirs.

They should have left the supported games in the list so that people know they are Home-savvy.

So Thropies will not somehow transform to "home money?"

Tbh, paying for stuff in home (with real money) would suck big time. Much like Oblivion horse armor

I understand that trophies are not currencies to begin with, but you could easily have build a model that would transform trophies into Home money. Imo that would beat having to pay real money for useless crap.

If it's useless, then there will be little demand for it and they'll just withdraw it.

I bought the summer home and some furniture but haven't bothered to check it out.

To have any kind of utility, they should just give you tools to design your own architecture and just decorate it. Then maybe have something like a GT photo mode and make pictures or movies that you can upload to external sites.

Otherwise, what is the point of customizing stock apartments that everyone else has? It would be kind of funny if people just built whatever they wanted and you had these unsightly buildings marring the skyline.

Back