120 gig black 360 almost offical? April ETA?

$449 would be a great price.

Imagine the average joes comparing a 120GB 360 to a 60GB PS3, ah the horrors!:LOL:

Dudes, I'm telling you there's no way ms RAISES the premium SKU price in North America. It would be public image suicide.

You have to remember everything in AU is way higher priced anyway, and includes VAT also. After you work all those numbers, the new black SKU probably works out to about $450 here, which suggests to me a $399 price.

I'm still skeptical of thise whole thing, there are always a lot of questions with this stuff, there's no way I see them introducing a THIRD sku without getting rid of one of the other ones. So personally if this happens I think it becomes the new premium and that's that. But we've had rumors of this before, so until we see it I'm pretty skeptical.

Add the $200 HD-DVD and $100 wi-fi and you have a $899 360, great "bang for the buck" compared to the $599 PS3.

Except you're assuming the black one is $599, which is ludicrous. It'll be $399 in NA. But as far as your response to the poster, you're right. You still end up at 699 for the Xbox without a high cap disc format for games..but at least you get a bigger HD :LOL:

The wi-fi thing is just ms gouging though..

Also, HDMI is completely irrelevant to me. I have a 720P TV and no HDMI input. Although it does have DVI with HDCP which means I can get an adapter I believe...

But just personally, I could care less about a 360 with HDMI except as buzzword envy..if I had a straight HDMI jack, it would at least be relevant as a simpler cable to plug in..

If they do release a 120GB Xbox 360 they must maintain a two SKU market. Here's what I'd personally do:

- Release the 120GB at a price point of $399.
- Drop the current Premium system to $299.
- Either push the Core completely out (personally the best option to me) or lower to $250~ and make the 20GB add-on at most $50.

Frankly as soon as Microsoft hints near $200 then they'll have a system that could literally be just flying off the shelf. I personally want the Core system gone or make a hard drive add-on at a price where consumers can walk and in pick it up without feeling ripped off. The ability to push up online would just simply be cemented then, all users (even those who picked up the Core early) could financially buy into the Xbox Live system, which is an extremely strong selling factor of the 360.

If they do release a 120GB Xbox 360 they must maintain a two SKU market. Here's what I'd personally do:

- Release the 120GB at a price point of $399.
- Drop the current Premium system to $299.
- Either push the Core completely out (personally the best option to me) or lower to $250~ and make the 20GB add-on at most $50.

Frankly as soon as Microsoft hints near $200 then they'll have a system that could literally be just flying off the shelf. I personally want the Core system gone or make a hard drive add-on at a price where consumers can walk and in pick it up without feeling ripped off. The ability to push up online would just simply be cemented then, all users (even those who picked up the Core early) could financially buy into the Xbox Live system, which is an extremely strong selling factor of the 360.

Interesting - I'd like to see the opposite. I'd rather MS adjust the price of the core down to $200, drop the premium sku (less confusion) and stop the price gouging of accessories.

As it is the pricing of xb360 is close to ps3 ($100). If they were to drop the price of the core sku to $200 and do away with the premium sku the price difference between xb360 and ps3 would stick out like a sore thumb. Also I'm not sure that they have communicated the abiity of the core unit well. If they reduced the pricing of the periphs to a more reasonable level in combination with a clear message to consumers that "this is all you need to start playing next gen xb360 games" I think it would significantly help boost their sales.

With the addition of a price cut to $200 of course :)

Bear in mind the current Premium kit's retail is AUD$649 (though you can get it for less).

So this new kit is AUD$100 more - might work out to an extra USD$50?

I understand that everyone would love to see a low priced X360 with HDMI, a 120 GB hard drive, etc... But do you really think that they would add all that in and keep it at the same price as the current sku? I'd be extremely surprised if they came out with this and priced it at $399. It seems more reasonable for them to add on another $50 or so, after all MS does want to actually turn a profit this generation.

I understand that everyone would love to see a low priced X360 with HDMI, a 120 GB hard drive, etc... But do you really think that they would add all that in and keep it at the same price as the current sku? I'd be extremely surprised if they came out with this and priced it at $399. It seems more reasonable for them to add on another $50 or so, after all MS does want to actually turn a profit this generation.

For some reason I seriously doubt either of those combined add more than $20 to the price of the Xbox 360 for MS. I wonder how much that 20GB costs them, you can't even find such a small hard drive retail anymore.

I'd take a 120GB with HDMI 1.3 and a quiet dvd drive for $399. First, they need to give me a way to transfer my data.

So... is this a 3rd SKU or would it replace the Premium SKU?
And, of course, will there be an accompanying price drop for the other SKU(s)?
If they plan to phase out all non-HDMI SKUs the price cut is likely, otherwise not.

I'd take a 120GB with HDMI 1.3 and a quiet dvd drive for $399. First, they need to give me a way to transfer my data.
Would the xbox360 benefit from HDMI1.3 in any way? Isn't it for the Deep Colour? Does xb360 games support Deep Colour?
Would a HDMI1.2 be suficient. Of course if a 1.3 wouldn't be any more expensive, it doesn't matter.
As a marketing point, HDMI 1.3 might be good, though.

OK...

ok.

The more I think about it, the more useless HDMI and ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY GIGS is to me.
I couldn't care less for hdmi, it's just a thing for those consumers who think they need it.
The 120gb side is also odd. As much as it pains me to say it, I don't need more than 20 on my 360. Neither will the average Australasian.

So.... Maybe... Could this mean a video marketplace for down under? You know... A reason for 120gb? Because currently you'd be hard pressed to fill half of it down here.

But black. Damn. Black. Oooo thats tempting.

I think HDMI will get more and more important for each TV with HDMI input being sold, so MS simply can't be without it. Not having HDMI sounds like it's old tech, although technically it might not be true. This is marketing.

Let me try and understand this, so Microsoft releases a tech change to a CONSOLE which has just over 1 YEAR of its supposed 5-10 YEAR life???

And you're cool with that? Even happy? Why are you even buying a console then, just get a PC and change the case, graphics and hdd size at your whim. Actually change it every 12 months like MS wants you to so you can run the latest software (service) they push onto you.

120 gig drive for new hd movie service? Gezzuz, that'd be a classic MS style ramming right up you know what - hours of download and you can store 2 movies on the previous premium SKU. I can almost imagine the pain that must be growing into current owners lower backs.

But lets see the positive side of all this - since the 360 hardware seems to have a 3-12 month life - in a year all 10 mil current owners could exchange their broken one for a new slick black 360 :LOL:. MS is soo customer oriented, right :rolleyes:

Imho the future scenario will be the following:

Xbox360 core 199$/€

Xbox360 premium 299$/€

Xbox360 black edition 449$/€

Will the latter have a HDMI cable bundled in?

Let me try and understand this, so Microsoft releases a tech change to a CONSOLE which has just over 1 YEAR of its supposed 5-10 YEAR life???

And you're cool with that? Even happy? Why are you even buying a console then, just get a PC and change the case, graphics and hdd size at your whim. Actually change it every 12 months like MS wants you to so you can run the latest software (service) they push onto you.

120 gig drive for new hd movie service? Gezzuz, that'd be a classic MS style ramming right up you know what - hours of download and you can store 2 movies on the previous premium SKU. I can almost imagine the pain that must be growing into current owners lower backs.

But lets see the positive side of all this - since the 360 hardware seems to have a 3-12 month life - in a year all 10 mil current owners could exchange their broken one for a new slick black 360 :LOL:. MS is soo customer oriented, right :rolleyes:

This isn't the first time a console manufacturer has made revisions to the hardware early in a lifecycle. I don't see this as a bad thing at all, and you're speaking to someone who will be left with an early 360. I think if this were a regular thing, or they were taking some things away I can see things may be a little different, but can you honestly see a need for any other changes? HDD capacity and HDMI were seen as critical omissions by some, but there wasn't a lot else, save maybe wi-fi (which could easily be added later on).

Also, whoever said the 120GB was for an HD movie service?? They've already announced they're going to enter the IPTV market with it, so it could make a decent PVR. suddenly 120GB doesn't sound so excessive.

Finally, at least MS are now offering a 12 month warranty on the thing. I honestly don't think things are as bad as made out on forums, how many satisfied users will come on to tell everyone theirs is still working? And how many will come on after it's broken to shout about it?

If this were to pass, i think theres a good chance the premium as we know it today goes away. The we'd be left with this at $399 and the core at $249 with a wireless controller. That's my stab at it.

Jeez for a first post you certainly don't paint a picture of objectivity. Hardware refreshes even six months after launch is normal and typical when trying to reduce cost or even fix issues. Why you are flying off the handle is beyond me.

what's wrong with offering a larger hard drive to those that want it? why you see this as a problem for current owners doesn't make sense. I'm a current owner and this doesn't bother me one bit. I'll buy a larger hard drive for sure.

Man, it must suck to be an Xbox 360 owner right now, knowing that your current 360 is going to be obsolete because a black one is coming out at some point.

Back