Fusion Cross Patlform Motion Sensor

This is a bit old, but I haven't seen any discussion of this in these forums (did the whole search thing, maybe I missed it?).

http://www.in2games.uk.com/corporate/news-item.php?newsid=14
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/20/in2games-fusion-controller-spices-up-next-gen-motion-sensing/
http://ps3.qj.net/Fusion-The-cross-platform-motion-sensor/pg/49/aid/70013

New technology allows true 3D motion sensor tracking on any games platform; publishers can now develop truly cross-platform titles incorporating full motion sensing

One exciting function is the system’s ability to emulate any other motion-based controller. This allows games designed specifically for the Nintendo Wii motion controller to be brought to any other format.

It's basically a way to have Wii like motion sensing for the other consoles as far as I understand. Now this comes from the makers of the god awful Gametrak so you have to exercise some caution before getting all exited, but I think it really has a lot of potential.

I find it very hard to believe that big name companies are going to target this controller directly in PS3 or X360 and create exclusive games for it. However I do see people porting their Wii games exactly as they are to say the downloadable services of each console if this takes off. That would be a major problem for the Wii since its competitive advantage would be crushed, especially if the games work just as well control wise, but output at higher resolutions (I know which I'd get).

I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on the technology behind this, since I think it doesn't use a pointer like the Wii and what it could mean to the Nintendo console if something like this is successful.

I doubt it'll get anywhere. Peripherals rarely do, other than a few niche titles. It'd need some killer titles to get any adoption rate that'll attract any development. Compare it to EyeToy, which had very little 3rd party support overall despite being probably the most popular add-on for any console.

Still, it sounds like they're using the system (triangulation) I expected Wii to use. It may be they had a patent before Nintendo preventing Ninty from using this way, and instead Ninty use their peculiar visual system. That'd at least explain why they did it that way.

I doubt it'll get anywhere. Peripherals rarely do, other than a few niche titles. It'd need some killer titles to get any adoption rate that'll attract any development. Compare it to EyeToy, which had very little 3rd party support overall despite being probably the most popular add-on for any console.

I agree with what you said, but even if it's moderately successful the posibbilities of ports of otherwise third parte exclusive Wii titles is there. I mean porting a Wii title to these consoles should be dirt cheap, and if it's offered through XLA or EDI the risk would be minimal, since you don't have to commit to pressing any units. Think for example something like Red Steel for download for something like 20 bucks, I'd definetely pick it up if I didn't have a Wii. In fact it would make me question getting a Wii as a second console since I'm sure these controller are way cheaper and the game would look better on my HDTV (assuming I had one of course). Like I said I think this brings a lot of possibilities that I haven't seen discussed on these boards.

I agree with what you said, but even if it's moderately successful the posibbilities of ports of otherwise third parte exclusive Wii titles is there. I mean porting a Wii title to these consoles should be dirt cheap, and if it's offered through XLA or EDI the risk would be minimal, since you don't have to commit to pressing any units. Think for example something like Red Steel for download for something like 20 bucks, I'd definetely pick it up if I didn't have a Wii.
This will not fly. Eyetoy got the penetration it had only because it was bundled with games. And as long as you cannot download motion sensing controller the only way to bundle it is if the game is in physical package.

This will not fly. Eyetoy got the penetration it had only because it was bundled with games. And as long as you cannot download motion sensing controller the only way to bundle it is if the game is in physical package.

Agreed, but you had to make a game specifically designed for the eye toy, so it was a somewhat considerable investment. I think you guys are missing the point of this.

One exciting function is the system’s ability to emulate any other motion-based controller. This allows games designed specifically for the Nintendo Wii motion controller to be brought to any other format.

It will let you emulate the Wii. That means companies don't have to support the controller directly and make specific games for it. They can simply port Wii games to the PS3 or 360. I frankly would see the likes of EA doing this. Think about it, you don't even have to sell it at retail if you don't want to, further reducing the risk. Porting a Wii game to superior hardware should be so absolutely cheap that even selling the game to the 10 morons who bought the controller you might be breaking even :LOL: . Anyway I think it's a new revenue avenue for developers of exclusive Wii titles that I'd seriously consider if I were them. And from Sony and MS point of view I'd be more than happy to have those ports to help reduce the very real menace of the Wii to my market share.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the subject, it could very well flop and never amount to anything too, I guess I just like the possibility of playing Wii in my PS3.

Starting now, this Fusion has 0 install base. People will only buy the Fusion if they have a reason to - it has the games. Developers won't write software for Fusion unless there's an install base. Even porting a Wii game to XB360 say, costs money, and if they won't get the sales to make it worthwhile, they won't bother. The only chance of them doing those Wii ports is if they provide standard controls for players without Fusion, and that'd likely ruin the experience.

Now if there were a few million Fusion owners willing to buy Wii ports, that may happen, though not if Wii sell bucketloads and the ratio of Fusion:Wii is small. I can't see a situation where Fusion would ever become popular enough though. If Halo3 were bundled with Fusion, it'd happen, and XB360 could get Wii ports. A big title like that to carry the hardware will start it. Without that starting title though, it'll never get developer support or consumers buying it.

Starting now, this Fusion has 0 install base. People will only buy the Fusion if they have a reason to - it has the games. Developers won't write software for Fusion unless there's an install base. Even porting a Wii game to XB360 say, costs money, and if they won't get the sales to make it worthwhile, they won't bother. The only chance of them doing those Wii ports is if they provide standard controls for players without Fusion, and that'd likely ruin the experience.

Now if there were a few million Fusion owners willing to buy Wii ports, that may happen, though not if Wii sell bucketloads and the ratio of Fusion:Wii is small. I can't see a situation where Fusion would ever become popular enough though. If Halo3 were bundled with Fusion, it'd happen, and XB360 could get Wii ports. A big title like that to carry the hardware will start it. Without that starting title though, it'll never get developer support or consumers buying it.

You're absolutely right of course, maybe ports is not where it starts. But it just ocurred to me that multiplatform games might be the key to the success of the Fusion. Now if I were one of the guys behind this product, the first thing I'd do is talk to multiplatform developers and convince them to include the Wii control mechanism as an alternative in the other consoles. Take COD3 for example. It comes out on every console, yet the Wii's version while lacking in visuals has the innovative controls to set it apart. Since the developers already came up with the control scheme for the Wii it should cost very little to implement it as an alternative to the normal controls on the other consoles. This way you can have a graphically superior title with the same playability as the Wii if you buy my product. I mean they have to be thinking along these lines, otherwise why invest all this money in a peripheral that is doomed to fail. They have to have learned their lesson after the atrociousness that was the Gametrak.

I thought I would give this thread a bump.

Here is an announcement about $14 million funding investment to promote the Fusion technology.

http://www.in2games.uk.com/corporate/news-item.php?newsid=15

Here is gamepack shots.

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/69330423820070817164755.jpg

They are launching the software at the Leipzig games convention.

This device should get a good push this Christmas in the UK.

It might be enough to start the ball rolling for a sustained motion sensing alternative for existing PS2 owners.

Back