Analyst: Xbox and Wii to Break Playstation Domination

Lol I doubt that. x360 doesnt sell in Japan, x360 sells bad in europa and doesnt even outsell the ps2 in the usa. How in gods name is x360 going to be the ''winner'' if even after a year they still havnt managed to get a decent marketshare.

I doubt you realize how long it takes to get a decent markedshare?

The xbox 360 reached 6 million in what? June? Something like that. Thats the faster than any other console. The main reason behind this is ofcourse because they had a worldwide launch, weras it took allmost a year before the PS2 reached europe etc...

And you DO realize that the Playstation 1 outsold the PS2 the first year and half of the PS2 lifetime? In all regions?

Reading the FT today, huge Sony page in Companies & Markets Asia Section. Chubachi and Stringer commented on the negative press. It's apparently à la mode to focus on doom and gloom for Sony. Sony's effectively inseparable from Japan Inc. a poster child in terms of perception in the eyes of the media over there - this idea is slowly trickling into the media worldwide.
There's certainly a lot of Sony noise at the moment. There's very little Nintendo noise, even though they're going through similar difficulties. No online modes for 3rd party launch titles, limited launch numbers, etc. But apart from a nod in that direction from news sites, they don't seem to slap 'doom and gloom' labels onto Nintendo's difficulties (which are difficulties faced by all these new and complex systems). I guess it's picking on Giants as it were. Sony are the largest target and the one that garners the most attention? Especially for financial reports. Sony's financial profile is far more reaching than Nintendo's, so gets a lot more attention from the investment sector.

There's certainly a lot of Sony noise at the moment. There's very little Nintendo noise, even though they're going through similar difficulties. No online modes for 3rd party launch titles, limited launch numbers, etc. But apart from a nod in that direction from news sites, they don't seem to slap 'doom and gloom' labels onto Nintendo's difficulties (which are difficulties faced by all these new and complex systems). I guess it's picking on Giants as it were. Sony are the largest target and the one that garners the most attention? Especially for financial reports. Sony's financial profile is far more reaching than Nintendo's, so gets a lot more attention from the investment sector.

I would posit that Nintendo's current state is not nearly as bad as Sony's but I agree with you. Factoring in expectations, Nintendo's got basically nothing to lose with the Wii. Sony has got everything to throw away with PS3. You can guess which story people would rather run with.

The general trend is that the better you do as a company the less you end up appearing in the FT. Sony is in Companies & Markets nearly every day since August and it's almost always something bad or an analyst warning. Conversely the better you do the only time your likely in the FT you get the front page or first page of C&M.

What amazes me, from reading a lot of the replies in this thread, are how many people automatically assume that the PS3 will dominate the marketshare again, only because PS2 did?

In all reality, that makes no sense.

This generation, is already proving so far, that we are far removed from last generation.

One of the major aspects of this generation that will have a huge impact on the outcome, are the developer tools. Once again, we are seeing something similar to last generation. That is that Microsoft supplies far superior tools and support then both Nintendo and Sony. We can already see a huge gleaming difference in just the Online play already. I think this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Some of you are saying as many ridiculous things as the analysts are.

For all those already putting all their eggs in any basket (Wii, PS3, or 360) at this point, I think you will be left with dissapointment.

We are a full 2-3 years away from seeing how this pans out. Plus, there are many more factors involved this generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
What amazes me, from reading a lot of the replies in this thread, are how many people automatically assume that the PS3 will dominate the marketshare again, only because PS2 did?

Actually we refer to this as brand loyalty.

Actually we refer to this as brand loyalty.

That's fine. There will always be sheep.

While that sure as hell will add to the big picture, again, it's just a small piece to this equation. For those that blindly follow, it's to early to tell if you will be the one holding 24k gold, or the fool's gold.

My main point being, we have plenty of time, before we will really have some hard numbers on what we can expect. We are AT LEAST 6 months out, before the PS3, and possibly the Wii will be ready for whoever wants to purchase one. Realistically much further out to that, if you take into account more global launches, including Europe.

The rolling the dice pic earlier sums it up right now. I think it's impossible to roll a 7 or 11 at this point in the game, but that time will soon come.

What does brand perference have to do with predicting the future performance of that brand in relation to marketshare.

Quite a lot, especially if said customers brought the previous 2 iterations of a product and found them great. Surely that warrants buying the 3rd? The nice thing about the 360 in this is that most people can't/don't do discounted cash flow when they buy something with consumables (razors, printers etc.) and get conned. Here the 360 sells at a lower price but give it 5 years and you'll have forked out more thanks to the Live service. The PS3 approach relies on pushing this analysis to the customer AND also saying "we did it twice before, trust us again".

The FT article was an interesting read. I liked how Stringer commented on how it is causing them to internally focus and work together more. Hopefully the PS3 will show the fruits of this with the online service and media compatability. It really is only the Internet echo-chamber and Merrill who seem to believe everything will go so badly wrong for them. They've convinced each other that the PS3 *is* Sony - Bravia TVs, Viao laptops, hi-fis don't exit to them.

That's fine. There will always be sheep.

While that sure as hell will add to the big picture, again, it's just a small piece to this equation. For those that blindly follow, it's to early to tell if you will be the one holding 24k gold, or the fool's gold.

My main point being, we have plenty of time, before we will really have some hard numbers on what we can expect. We are AT LEAST 6 months out, before the PS3, and possibly the Wii will be ready for whoever wants to purchase one. Realistically much further out to that, if you take into account more global launches, including Europe.

The rolling the dice pic earlier sums it up right now. I think it's impossible to roll a 7 or 11 at this point in the game, but that time will soon come.

No offense, but no one here is coming out and saying "PS3 will rule, X360 is doomed to small marketshare again" etc... People are making their predictions based at least partially on one of the most reliable sources of information we have, which is what happened in the past.

Looking back to the past can give us some idea of what we might expect to happen in the future if circumstances remain at least somewhat constant. Sony still has huge mindshare in the industry, X360 still has trouble in Japan (and maybe Europe), Sony still has many titles that sell a lot of copies, so anyone who is saying that PS3 might retain their lead is simply looking at these facts.

Of course, looking back at the past can cause us to be blind to the present/future and thus we shouldn't focus solely on the past but also the present and future. The present is that Sony hasn't even released their console so we can't even see how well the console is received. Sony is currently having some production problems, but how long will those last? No one knows. MS certainly has gotten quite a few good exclusives, but will the PS3 draw back more developers and exclusives if the console ends up selling more than the MS console again? None of these things can be known.

So basically, my whole point here is that people are just making their best guesses about what will happen in the future, and at this point all they can be are guesses. Ever heard of people arguing about how many stars are in the sky, if there's life on other planets, etc? No one knows for sure, but people still like to debate these topics and others. Nothing is wrong with that as long as people remember that until something can be proven as a fact, then every opinion is valid... although some are certainly more plausible! :)

Looking back to the past can give us some idea of what we might expect to happen in the future if circumstances remain at least somewhat constant. Sony still has huge mindshare in the industry, X360 still has trouble in Japan (and maybe Europe), Sony still has many titles that sell a lot of copies, so anyone who is saying that PS3 might retain their lead is simply looking at these facts.

Of course, looking back at the past can cause us to be blind to the present/future and thus we shouldn't focus solely on the past but also the present and future. The present is that Sony hasn't even released their console so we can't even see how well the console is received. Sony is currently having some production problems, but how long will those last? No one knows. MS certainly has gotten quite a few good exclusives, but will the PS3 draw back more developers and exclusives if the console ends up selling more than the MS console again? None of these things can be known.

So basically, my whole point here is that people are just making their best guesses about what will happen in the future, and at this point all they can be are guesses. Ever heard of people arguing about how many stars are in the sky, if there's life on other planets, etc? No one knows for sure, but people still like to debate these topics and others. Nothing is wrong with that as long as people remember that until something can be proven as a fact, then every opinion is valid... although some are certainly more plausible! :)

I wonder if this portends anything WRT the general demand for the PS3.........

PlayStation 3 Nets Fair Price in Auction
Sony's PlayStation 3 isn't living up to the hype _ at least on Japan's Internet auctions. The gaming consoles, which went on sale here Saturday, are fetching reasonable prices online, disappointing those who had hoped to make a quick profit by reselling the machines on the Internet

I'm guessing their findings have accounted the angle for which company could get product "XYZ" to the sweet price-point, majority of the consumers would be willing to pay for...

What amazes me is that these same people think Bluray will dominate HD-DVD, totally overlooking their own logic regarding brand loyalty and name familiarization.

I wonder if this is the same team of analysts who predicted the $800 BOM (and did his maths wrong),

Care to break down this analysis and see if it's incorrect?

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

Because this analysis firm not named ML comes to the same conclusion about the $800+ cost of the PS3.

And that $800?

This total doesn’t include additional costs for elements including the controller, cables and packaging.

Egads! If the $800+ BOM is true for the PS3, I think it certainly explains the predicted losses for this console and Sony in general. Selling at more than $300 less the cost of production, essentially removes any ability for Sony to introduce price reductions, and will also eat away any cost reductions from economies of scale, improved manufacturing techniques, etc.. for years to come.

Have we ever gotten estimates from anybody that says the BOM for the PS3 is less than $800?

Anyway I'm, not sure of isupplies estimates when it comes to 360 BOM...

Some had state that ms still lose more money than expect on every xbox360 sold...
they estimate the bom of the 360 at 323 for the premium sku, if that true MS would cut cut price especially in Europe where the still have a hell lot of work to match the playstation brand...

So my guess is that they right for the ps3 bom, but by the way they try to make look the 360 a xbox1.5, I would like to know WHO order them this estimation and the matching PR talk....

Credibility=0 for me

Those analcysts.
Wonder how they forecast market shares up to year 2011.
Wonder who has ordered the analysis.
There are as many forecasts as there are analysts.
I bet there'll soon (after Nov 17) be another analysis with very different numbers, and after that another with the numbers turned upside down again, and after that another, and another....
Well, seems they were a bit early :D
http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20061116005116&newsLang=en
Strategy Analytics: Sony Launches PS3, But Microsoft Has It All To Prove
The report predicts global sales of nearly 9 million next-generation games consoles during the last quarter of 2006. The Xbox 360 will remain the leading system through most of 2007 but the PS3 will be catching up by the end of the year and is still set to become the dominant platform of the next generation. The report predicts that more than 120 million PS3s will be sold through 2012, compared to 60 million Xbox 360s and 23 million Nintendo Wiis. North America will account for more than 50 percent of all console sales over this period.

Well, all I know is in comparison to the 360 launch I also lived through, according to the forum and friend of a friend reports I'm hearing, Sony is shipping some ABSURDLY
low PS3 numbers.

Wal Mart got around 50 Xbox360's last year, they get FOUR PS3's. I got that straight from an electronics employee. The local target got 8, Best Buy I heard 28, Circuit City is probably looking at four judging by the only 4-6 campers there. I'm sure the numbers aren't that bad at all chains (Wal Mart appears to be getting shafted compared to Best Buy and Gamestop on PS3's) but, I wouldn't be surpised if those numbers are any indication that Sony shipped 150,000 or less.
________
LIVE SEX

how on earth will Microsoft be leading next gen when there market share in Japan -the third biggest in the world - is second to none.

how on earth will Microsoft be leading next gen when there market share in Japan -the third biggest in the world - is second to none.

There is only 130 million people living in japan, while there is 500 million people in Europe and another 300 million in the USA.

So in terms of potential costumers japan only accounts for 14% of the marked. Well actually its less, because MS is starting to sell X360s in alot of places outside of theese regions lately.

Back