Gears of War - Reviews

BIG NOTE: all of the following is just more of me *****ing and ranting about this game (because it's a great game, I love it, I hope to see improvements in these areas, and I feel like venting a little bit). So if you're sick of reading what I have to say, press X to skip this post. ER, wait, this might not be one of the skippable ones. :devilish: (Also, may contain what may be considered SPOILERS)

Playing co-op makes the game almost half as tough as it normally is (since a death for one person isn't instant start-over most of the time, and you have an intelligent person covering your back--and it all feels awesome, BTW), but then it makes split paths twice as hard as the game normally is, what with having to worry about two people possibly dying and ending the game. Most of the time, this is where covering for your buddy comes into play. And the mechanic works well most of the time. But sometimes it doesn't. The AI's tendency to rush on Insane also makes it much tougher on these VERY linear paths such as the one in the mine in Act III. Of course, the worst part about that one was the spawn glitches with the wretches (My co-op buddy and myself were killed by these *******s spawning right BEHIND us a few times--no crawling from the ceiling, just popping in behind us while in cover). And overall, I have to say the wretches are the toughest enemy in the game. And it feels very much cheap. The Therons are challenging with those torgue bows and tougher noggins... the wretches are just cheap, especially the lambant variety. I wish that the other enemies were the toughest in the game, rather than these annoying distractions that seem like they were meant to get you out of cover for the other enemies to kill you. Same for nemecysts... one hit explosive kills right there. Overall, the game doesn't feel as satisfying just because the most challenging enemies are the cheap explosive variety instead.

It's important, IMO, that a challenging enemy seem worthy of being that challenging. It's why Elites are cool to fight, and Brutes much less so, even though they're often a bit tougher. It's one of the reasons some first person shooters fall flat.

In any case, improvements necessary for the sequel:

Overall-A) More balanced challenge between same path/split path in a co-op game
1) Better AI, that will cover your back more often on split paths ( Act IV, first chapter, as you take on the seeder: Having to deal with the nemecysts, wretches, and Grenadier with Gnasher at the same time in the building felt really cheap. Really, why the hell can't Baird shoot those things down--it's bad enough with a shotgun dude and multiple wretches, it's worse when it's a linear path and he'll eventually rush you, and it's even worse when those stupid nemecysts have an entire ceiling and your side to get to you, pretty much silently as well, and auto-kill you)
2) Less linear design for the split paths. By which I really mean: Don't put me on a road that can only fit one piece of cover on it at a time width wise. i.e., Make it more like the street in Act IV Chapter one, rather than up high or down in the mines. Horrible with rushing AI (Insane).
3) Give us some damn checkpoints on the split paths. The most frustrating part is doing the easy part to get to the hard part over and over and over again. In the game, give us two checkpoints: One is normal, and there's one in the middle of the split path. In the pause screen, below "Load last checkpoint" make a "Load Path-fork checkpoint" which would be the one you go to just before you enter the split path.

(and just to rant again, put your checkpoints AFTER dialogue, not before. I'm sick of seeing the same cutscene or listening to the same dialogue over and over again.)

B) Nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief more than a boss that has 20x as much health as me, but looks only a tad bigger than the rest of the enemies I've been facing. If the boss is going to be tough, make it seem like he deserves to be so, rather than giving him a magical "we need a tough end to this game" field. The other two bosses in this game make sense, and are at least somewhat interesting to fight (just need the right weapon--HoD and Lancer, respectively). The last one is just cheap, and goes back to the old boss crap that should have been purged from FPS game design long, long ago. Halo had the right idea: Boss battles, not boss characters. It screwed up in the sequel, but at least two of said bosses were mostly fair. One actually wasn't that challenging, and it was all the Honor guard (interesting challenge) that made it tough. Fair fight. Another was a little cheap, but not that bad. At least it seemed like it was a slightly intelligent enemy that was causing you all the trouble (hologram decoys/auto-turrets), instead of him just having 20x as much health as you. The last one was crap, but not nearly as bad as Gears' last boss. It might have been better had he taken cover when the flying rats were off, blindfired, had some allies dropped off periodically, etc.
I am interested in this game, so I find other people's opinions very interesting but I can only draw upon my personal experience when formulating my own.

Most of the feedback on the game has been positive, so I care indeed about the opinions, and I am not going to get dissapointed because now I know what to expect.

The thing is, recently I have bought 3 new games (PES6, NBA 2k7, CoD3) and they deliver the quality I would expect from the respective developers.

Yes, I'll end buying GoW, not currently though. We live in a society nowadays which thrives on instant gratification and I'm so tempted to buy the game but I will not.

And overall, I have to say the wretches are the toughest enemy in the game. And it feels very much cheap. The Therons are challenging with those torgue bows and tougher noggins... the wretches are just cheap, especially the lambant variety. I wish that the other enemies were the toughest in the game, rather than these annoying distractions that seem like they were meant to get you out of cover for the other enemies to kill you. Same for nemecysts... one hit explosive kills right there. Overall, the game doesn't feel as satisfying just because the most challenging enemies are the cheap explosive variety instead.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that since I feel the wretches are the easiest enemy to kill. 2 bursts from the locust machine guns and they are dead every time. Even the explosive ones.

They are even easier if you can get a wall or box between you and them forcing them to climb over. You can shoot them once as they come up the wall, hit them with the second burst as the jump and they will be dead before they ever touch the ground.

The non-exploding ones are very easy to kill. Just pull out your pistol and keep swinging, they each go down with one whack.

I prefer torque bow.

I've still been killed by exploding wretches and nemecysts together more than I have been by the rest of the locust horde... excluding the Theron guard/sentinels perhaps. And that's not "I've died more in this game than any other," but rather "I expected to die more, and more than half of it is from the least respectable enemies...."

I actually have the urge to play again, so I'll start my third tour of Insane and perhaps not ignore the hamnmerburst as much as I have tended to do on it. I also tend to specialize too much on co-op in terms of weapons, and perhaps the fault lies in me depending on my buddy to take care of as much as I expect (like the seeder in the streets...).

Edit: I do tend to pistol whip the wretch that crashes through the door in Act II, to amuse myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The non-exploding ones are very easy to kill. Just pull out your pistol and keep swinging, they each go down with one whack.

Ya wretches aren't bad, but when you get 3 or 4 on you it's a bitch.

There's only 2 parts in the game where the wretches are really tough, and they are both in Act 3 in the powerplant or whatever it is. The first when you come around the corner and get charged, and then the second time when that little bastard starts screaming, and they come from every angle.

Other than that, I didn't have a problem with em, as long as they don't get the drop on you they are handled fairly easily. I can imagine they might be really bad on insane though, because flushing you out of cover would probably lead to a real quick death. I've only played a little insane, but it seems you pretty much gotta stay in cover constantly, popping out for only 1 or 2 seconds at a time

The nemecysts are nothin, I think they maybe killed me twice.

B) Nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief more than a boss that has 20x as much health as me, but looks only a tad bigger than the rest of the enemies I've been facing. If the boss is going to be tough, make it seem like he deserves to be so, rather than giving him a magical "we need a tough end to this game" field.
Totally agree with you on this point.

The Boomers (I think that's what they're called) seem to be about the same size as General RAAM, yet they are way easier to kill than him. As TurnDragoZeroV2G noted, it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

In the end, it's a minor gripe because he's pretty fun to battle with a co-op buddy. It just sucks to have to fight him by yourself.

Ya wretches aren't bad, but when you get 3 or 4 on you it's a bitch.

The nemecysts are nothin, I think they maybe killed me twice.

Finished up Acts I and II just now. Died about 9 times. Twice from nemecysts (one above a doorway as I came out, the other decided since I was paying more attention shotgunning the troika gunner up on top of the building rather than him, that I needed to die right there--should have known I'd want that chainsaw. I just grenade tagged the gunner after that one). Died once from a wretch that came up behind me while focusing on 5 drones accross the way--two hits will kill you. One time I actually died because I moved from cover to get away from a wretch who was too close, and instead ate a drone's bullets. But the real problem is the wretches that explode in the mine car area (not in the cart--those are a cinch with the Lancer, even on Insane), while you don't have much area to move. Primarily because if you're within 2 feet, you're dead from the explosion. If you don't get a roll's distance away, you may be hurt enough that when the next one slashes you or explodes next to you, you're dead. When you die in the same area because of swarming wretches 3 times or so, they've essentially killed you more than the regular enemies have throughout an entire chapter or three. And the worst part is that there's no variation in it... too close, dead. stupid POS behind you and to your right, dead. At least when you die from drones, boomers and theron guard, there's a little variation.

And two times I died because Dom was a moron, rushed out and got killed, and left an opening for enemies to surround me. Thanks, Dom, I appreciate you rushing out like some 12yo playing Halo. :LOL:

I have never been so frustrated with myself in gaming than when I die in Gears. This game is way too intense and sucks you in :(

I have never been so frustrated with myself in gaming than when I die in Gears. This game is way too intense and sucks you in :(

I just had my first run-in with a berserker....damn that was intense. I had to put the controller down for a bit and regain my composure. The suspense and tension created by the way you have to fight them is just nuts.

I finished the game last night playing online with a friends. The last level was cool as hell. it was pretty satisfying figuring out how to kill Raam, took about 12 tries but then we came up with a plan that worked really fast. he can be killed in about 3 or 4 minutes with two people, as long as nobody screws up.

That last Boss is too hard. Oh well.. another game returned incomplete.
You're right that last boss is a nightmare even on casual.The only way to beat him easily is playing co-op.

I did manage to beat the last boss after....almost 2 hours of trying but it was worth it cause the ending is really cool.That last boss' difficulty is way out of touch with the rest of the game.

You're right that last boss is a nightmare even on casual.The only way to beat him easily is playing co-op.

I did manage to beat the last boss after....almost 2 hours of trying but it was worth it cause the ending is really cool.That last boss' difficulty is way out of touch with the rest of the game.

Hmmm, took me about 45mins on Hardcore, not too bad. You're right about the ending, so satisfying.

My main gripe with this game is story, talk about a blown opportunity. They have an excellent backstory but don't tell you anything about it in the game! If they had've just took the text from the Picture book, and incorporated that via cut scenes, the entire story would've been 10x's better. There's a ton there and they don't even tell it. Also, some of the twists the story takes are pretty hard to swallow, like finding the map conveniently where you place the resonator, or a train from nowhere that you need to hop on to deliver the payload.

It could've been executed much better, but gameplay makes up for it in spades, I'll have a hard time playing a 3rd person shooter now without a cover system, it just feels so much more realistic than most anything I've ever played, slamming up against cover and sprinting around, mantling over objects, it works so well. It does have a few kinks that will hopefully get worked out in part 2, mainly not sticking to things you should, and doing a roll instead. This could easily be avoided by using a different button for roll.

9/10

That last boss' difficulty is way out of touch with the rest of the game.

Well that's just it,I played it on casual for a reason. I have about a 1/2 an hour to an hour each day to play games. I just don't have the patience nor the time to devote the long sessions to video games any more. I want to get in,get some reward and satisfaction and get out within a short period of time,kinda like watching TV. If after a half hour I'm still trying the same thing over and over,it's starts feeling like a waste of time. If the Boss is super fun like a multi-leveled Boss in Metroid Prime games I would put the time aside to do it but RAMM was pretty meh.

Yeah, I drop quite a few F* bombs when dying in Gears. My line is that Gears is so good it makes me want to throw my controller...being older now...I just bang the hell out of the couch...hey, it needed a good dusting :LOL:.

Reminds me of the good old times back when I was a kid playing SNES. I think I broke like 5 SNES controllers by throwing them to the walls or smashing them to the table when playing all those Mario games. :LOL:

Trust me, I know the feeling but I just can't get myself to do it anymore. I think I have gained the sense of money, finally. :) Like you said, punching the couch is much more effective. And cost efficient. :D

Back