Editorial On "Is Wii Next-Gen?" (answer: no)

I own a GC, and looking at my library of games, I have to agree with Powderkeg on some level.

There are very few 3rd-party titles i own, notably RE4, Super Monkey Ball, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure 2 and Viewtiful Joe.
I own about 15 Nintendo 1st or 2nd party titles (Pikmin1/2, Zelda, Mario, MP4, Metroid Prime1/2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mario Kart, Wario Ware, F-Zero... Basically the standard titles).
Right now, I probably have all the titles I'm interested in on the GC.

Now, what good 3rd party game do you guys think I'm missing out? If there's a PC port, I've probably played it there (e.g. PoP, Beyond Good and Evil). Stuff like Splinter Cell (or e.g. any GTA-type game, should one ever appear on the GC) is absolutely not my cup of tea. Same goes for sports games. I might get persuaded to look at something more arcade-y, like Mario Strikers or what's it called... But then we are back at Nintendo again.

I do believe games like Katamary Damacy or Kingdom Hearts might have done very well on the GC (though the limited storage space might have hindered Kingdom Hearts). I would have bought them for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, what good 3rd party game do you guys think I'm missing out?

There are lots of games if GC is your only system. Just from my shelf...Fight Night Round 2 is great (not really a sports sim), both Timesplitters games, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Metal Arms, Tales of Symphonia, X-Men Legends 1&2, and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King were all games I enjoyed. Not all of those are what I would call timeless classics, but I don't regret getting any of them.

if GC is your only system

This is an important factor that a lot of people overlook. Certainly guys like Johnny Awesome and Ozymandis that kept trumpeting that GameCube had a sparse lineup, but only owned 5 GameCube games and 30 Xbox/PS2 titles.

When the GameCube is your only system (and some people could only afford the one $199 investment) you tend to get multi-platform games for it. You tend to have enough time to explore the library.

From a business standpoint I can obvioulsy see the importance of having a huge slection of games,but on a personal level it's not as important. I say that because I only really play a few games a year that i love. Even with the PS2 which had the best selection I might have played a dozen games,and the Xbox had tonnes of action FPS games but I played that system that least.
What I'm suggesting is that even though we can argue the stats all day and pull up all kinds of internet facts,on personal level I think if we looked at our own game playing habits we might get a different perspective.
Also I think the internet tends to draw us into caring about and agruing over stuff,that really doesn't mean as much to us as we think.

Back