Suggestions for Worst Science Fiction film ever!

For 'recent' movies, I'd point to Robot Jox (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102800/) as by far worse than Independance Day. At least the effects in ID were pretty cool and the action scenes (believable or not) were exciting. (Also, the virus was uploaded by a Mac Laptop, not a 3.5" floppy in the captured space ship)

AI would probably be worse (for me) than ID. It ended so, so, so poorly.

I don't think Independence Day ever took itself anywhere near seriously so I think it's harsh to criticise it so heavily. I thought it reasonably enjoyable - utter nonsense of course but still enjoyable. On the other hand I thought that Mars Attacks was rubbish. A film playing for laughs but failing to get them from me at least.

I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned my nomination for worst SF film: Lost in Space.

A good cast and a huge budget for special effects were married with a hopeless plot, rubbish dialogue and paper-thin characterisation. Utterly dreadful.

Actually, you could say the same for the second Star Wars trilogy as well! The morons in Hollywood are obviously happy to throw tens of millions of $ at special effects but no more than a few quid at the screenplay.

:rolleyes:

Lost in space may not have been all that great overall, but Gary Oldman sure was. And Penny Robinson was fricken HOT. :p

I'm really surprised nobody's mentioned Armageddon yet. It has to be like 5x worse than ID4 when it comes to idiocy and just plain wrongness, both when it comes to plot, acting, physics, and just plain LOGIC... Ok, so there we have Peter Stormare living ALONE in a russian space station (and complete with a horribly bad accent), a space station loaded with fuel as it turns out. A space station that gets gravity by spinning around its central axis...

Well excuse me for asking, but why did the russians build a gas station up in space, and why the heck is the fuel liquid oxygen?!? And then everything goes BOOM???

And DONT ASK ME why there's a fricken gatling gun on the vehicles they ship up there either... I heard there's a weight issue when sending stuff up with rockets, but apparantly that doesn't apply to large-calibre vulcan cannons with a couple thousand rounds of ammunition for it...

And of course, lobotomized insane oil drill workers make for the best astronauts ever... Come on, surely this movie is much worse than ID4.

Then we have Jurassic Park 3 and the american mutant idiot child that was godzilla as well - if these can qualify as SF movies that is. I don't know which is the stupider of these two, but they're pretty fucking bad both of them.

to remain in topic the worst sci-fi movie I have ever seen is "Mission to Mars"

Well what I meant is that it's not sci-fi to begin with. It was happening in space, but that's where the similarities end.

Well what I meant is that it's not sci-fi to begin with. It was happening in space, but that's where the similarities end.

And I was backing your assertion, and said it belonged in the stupid-fiction category rather than science fiction or any other category.

ID4 and Armageddons are master pieces in their own genre.
Obviously they are not proper sci-fi movies and they don't even try to be.

What are they trying to be then?
I'm not an expert of cinematographic language but it does not take a genious to understand that ID4 is not 2001 nor Alien, it does not want to be accurate/smart/politically correct, it's just a big funny well-cradted hollywood movie with a sci-fi background theme.
If you want to enjoy a movie like that you have just to switch off your brain, it was made to entertain people, not to educate them

I'm not an expert of cinematographic language but it does not take a genious to understand that ID4 is not 2001 nor Alien, it does not want to be accurate/smart/politically correct, it's just a big funny well-cradted hollywood movie with a sci-fi background theme.
If you want to enjoy a movie like that you have just to switch off your brain, it was made to entertain people, not to educate them

Well, that they may be entertaining to some (I felt, I was more stupid after having seen them), hardly make them masterpieces, really.

"Wing Commander"?

It has this cute scene where an earth destroyer is hiding on an asteroid, with enemy cruisers above looking for them. So they go on silent running... And thus everyone on board the ship isn't allowed to make any sound... They're all whispering, in fear that the Kilrathi might hear them... In SPACE ! :LOL:

There's more:
1. The captain is played by Jürgen Prochnow
2. The bridge has a U-Boot style persicope

And yes, Wing Commander is a contestant for the Worst SciFi Movie title, along with Independence Day (for the sheer stupidity in oh so many areas) and Battlefield Earth.

IMO we need to define what kind of movie can qualify for the title. There are dozens of truly horrible movies that were directly released to video. I remember one with Mark Hamil and some idiotic cyborg thingy, forgot the title. And if we go back to the 1950s or so, yeah, there's probably some stupid shit to be found.

And whoever said "They Live" deserves a good pummeling. True, it's a B-Movie, but it's also a bit of a subversive classic. Alien 4 isn't really all that bad, either. It may suck as an "Alien" movie but judged by its own merrit it isn't half bad. Personally, I found Alien 4 to be a whole hell of a lot more watchable than Alien 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Alien4 quite a lot, it was very creepy in some regards such as the revived Ripley's questionable loyalties, and the definitely weird (and obviously insane) hybrid alien... I didn't like the ending though when the auriga crashes and blows up a quarter of planet earth; I felt that was very unrealistic. Don't they have like, a planetary defense grid or something? With the amount of traffic they must have at that point in the future, what do you do in case you have a drunk driver at the wheel in one of those bigass spaceships? :p It would be awfully inconvenient if some innebriated russian coming down the Venus Expressway off-ramp swerves too wide and wipes out everything from southern texas to northern montana in a huge ball of fire...

Back