IGN Wii rumours

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
number of big-name publishers are set to release their Wii games in mid-to-late October, which suggests that a system debut could not be that far off. And several insiders have told IGN that November 2 could, in fact, be the big day.

Thing is, not all of our contacts are in agreement on the date. Some have suggested that November 12 could, instead, by Wii's launch date. Regardless, though, it seems that Wii fans can look forward to their console sooner rather than later.

Sources suggest that Wii will launch with a $229 price tag and will be available in both black and white.

Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to more than five million units by the end of the year, a significant upgrade to previous numbers. The jump is purportedly based on the positive reaction to Wii from press and industry analysts at E3 2006.

The console is unlikely to be region-free, although the lock is unrelated to hardware; a firmware update could theoretically allow gamers to play import software.

Take with a grain of salt

$229? Not bad. I wish they could have done $199 and I think they would while still making money off of each console sold. But its not a big enough difference to turn me off either.

Hmm, I think I'll get one.

PowerPC 750CL is an inexistent chip, is like the PowerPC 750VX (GX with Altivec) that was rumoured and never launched, in the case of the 750CL it was a rumor for a 200Mhz bus PowerPC 750 back in the year 2000.

Unless rev is bundled with games , that's a poor value for that hardware , if this price point is true of course.

229$, if true then it is way overpriced IMO, I will not buy one at that price if it is just the console+controller (ie no bundle) and then it will depend on what comes with it, I will wait till I am interested in wii again after some prices drops.

That 5M units is a good move.

BTW take the CPU with a (really big) grain of salt not just because it is unixistente, but acordidng to one of the early versions of the page (from what I have seens in other forums) they said that it will have the same cache as Gekko 256K of L1 :)lol: ) and 512K of L2 :LOL: .

Last edited by a moderator:
That 5 million systems by end of the year figure seems a tad unrealistic to me. If they could produce a million per month they would have had to been making final Wii hardware at the rate of a million units per month (250,000 per week) starting July 1.

That 5 million systems by end of the year figure seems a tad unrealistic to me. If they could produce a million per month they would have had to been making final Wii hardware at the rate of a million units per month (250,000 per week) starting July 1.

That´s exactly what they have done?

If the hardware is as unadvanced as suggested, definitely. XB360 and PS3 are limited by costly and difficult components, and if you lose money on the hardware in the beginning you don't want to produce it too fast either. If Nintendo make profit on their hardware, and it's as easy to produce as 5 year old tech is, it makes sense for them to go for it.

The tidbit I found most interesting is that they are developing a handheld that can play Gamecube discs. But IGN edited that portion out for some reason.

I think the extra $29 comes from the possible inclusion of the standard controller.

Very well could be. I've been wondering (and tried repeatedly to start conversations) about the status of the proposed 'standard' wii controller, since E3 where there was no mention of it.

On one hand, I think they have to have a 'standard' controller and they really need to include it to make sure everybody has one.

On the other hand, the existence of the standard controller calls into question the utility of the wiimote, and the inclusion of the standard controller with the base unit would have implications that I think would be incredibly unfavorable to the success of the wii.

Very well could be. I've been wondering (and tried repeatedly to start conversations) about the status of the proposed 'standard' wii controller, since E3 where there was no mention of it.

On one hand, I think they have to have a 'standard' controller and they really need to include it to make sure everybody has one.

On the other hand, the existence of the standard controller calls into question the utility of the wiimote, and the inclusion of the standard controller with the base unit would have implications that I think would be incredibly unfavorable to the success of the wii.

If a game designed to use the Wiimote, there's a chance it won't be compatible with the standard controller.

I think the extra $29 comes from the possible inclusion of the standard controller.

Why would they do that, specially if we consider that most early adopter would probably have a GC anyway. Plus it somewhat defeats the propuse of the remote and like me stoping to buy it (at least till some price drops).

The tidbit I found most interesting is that they are developing a handheld that can play Gamecube discs. But IGN edited that portion out for some reason.

Personally I fond that strange, they are doing so well with the DS why would they want to divide the market with a new console?

I don't know, is it? And can they actually produce that many when neither Sony nor MS can produce at half that rate?

Well, Wii is simpler, and more resembles a more powerful GC than something new and costy to produce so I think it is possible

Why would they do that, specially if we consider that most early adopter would probably have a GC anyway. Plus it somewhat defeats the propuse of the remote and like me stoping to buy it (at least till some price drops).

For the virtual console

I would think there will be two wiimotes included. Nintendo is trying to sell to groups I imagine.

That would be better IMO, with a headset (it seems it isnt standard) and some games (eg Wii Sports or multiple VC ones (classic and/or original)) could make a nice bundle

For the virtual console

Why not just use a GC controler?

Back