New MotorStorm HD Video

Bobbler said:
MotorStorm isn't necessarily a must have for me, but the more I see of it the more I'm tempted.

And that was my point really. Whereas price tends to be a non-issue with triple-A titles, it is an issue with everything else.

Most of us wouldn't think twice about paying a premium for must-haves like Heavenly Sword. But forking over this kind of cheese for MotorStorm may require a bit of mental gymnastics.

I'm convinced. MotorStorm is one of Sony's blonde moments. Once you get past its polished exterior, the game play seems remarkably shallow.

Last edited by a moderator:
liverkick said:
Yup, according to Evo the larger class of vehicles with the wider tires will mess up the terrain more. On the multi-lap races it'll get worse over time making it harder for the smaller/quicker classes to navigate those particular areas. The muddy tracks can also harden during the race and make the newly formed treads bumpier as well. In the E3 demo they showed one of the biker AI actually get caught in a hardened tread and it couldn't steer its way out and ended up wiping into the rock wall. Probably not highly realistic but a lot of fun. :)

Who or what is Evo?

Jesus2006 said:
So is their any link to a comment of them devs about this (muddy tracks)?
I think it was in one of the interview videos during the e3 time. Ps3portal.com should have some dev interview videos, or you could try gametrailers.com. But basically they said the game vehicles should even out gameplay wise like liverkick said, they all have their pros and cons.

edit:

heres a couple of good links..
http://www.ps3portal.com/videos/play/30/vid1073

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707911p1.html
There will be thirty five different vehicles when all is said and done, separated into seven different classes of machine such as dirt bikes, ATVs, buggies, big rigs and other cars. You'll select a car and take them onto any one of twelve tracks, each of which will have multiple routes. Some of the cars, like the motorcycles, may be able to take a higher route that is technically difficult, but potentially a large shortcut around the track.

"playground rules"...dont pick on anyone bigger than yourself. :LOL:
http://e3.bashsoftware.net/motorstorm.wmv
edit: seems e-empire took down this video, it was a really good interview. (and graphically the game looks on par with the new hd trailer) I have it on my computer about 100mb in size. Maybe xbdestroya can help us out.

http://www.gameklip.com/v/652/

http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads6039_video-motorstorm.html <--good interview/presentation here

Last edited by a moderator:
God damn thats mighty impressive!

The pics suck but watching it in motion is a different story.

It is technically one of the most impressive games I ve ever seen. Imagine what we are going to get later in the future.

Visually it kicks the hell out of every other racing.

Looking at those e3 vids again, I wonder if they will allow you to hold break and gas at the same time and spray mud up in the air at objects. They displayed this at GDC with the dirt bike spraying mud on a object dynamically but I noticed in the jeux france video that the dune buggy did not do the same mud spraying when doing donuts.

liverkick said:
They'd just switch to third person view, the cheaters.

Hmm... *if* it's a gameplay element, can they do something to carry over the mud ? like mud on the 3rd person view camera as well.

Then make 'em shake the controller to wipe or shake the mud off (and slow down). Obviously this needs to be play tested.

Fyi quicktime 7 for the pc sucks, use ffdshow by downloading it and then renaming the highdef quicktime .movs .hdmov and ffdshow will play them, and smoothly even with post processing.
I use a 3200+ A64

The game looks very good imo, but the physics will be more important for me.

Yep, playing the .mov with the VLC media player made it run much smoother, no more choppy. Looks much much better. Really shows what a bad framerate can do to otherwise impressive graphics.
Now I'm impressed. Looks to be a good launch game and definitely up there on my shopping list when I buy my PS3.
Thanks.

Looks fun, most straight racing games bore me to tears, this at least has a new twist and lots of action going on. It even looks good, even though its a long way away from reaching the quality of the E3 '05 CGI concept trailer. This new trailer nevertheless manages to capture the feel of the original mudslinging action, so even though the E3 '5 trailer might not have been a fair representation of the visual quality we can expect, it gave a pretty good idea of what the game will most likely be like...

Jesus2006 said:
It looks like Flatout 2 to me.....
In deed, except for polygons, effects, HDR and physics it comes pretty close ;)

Flatout 1, terrain changed to Evolution's WRC terrain, antialiasing removed. That's pretty much it. There's not much difference in the polycount or physics. OK, HDR has been added, whoopee.

jimpo said:
Flatout 1, terrain changed to Evolution's WRC terrain, antialiasing removed. That's pretty much it. There's not much difference in the polycount or physics. OK, HDR has been added, whoopee.
Oh please, there's a significant difference in polycount and overall graphical quality when compared to Flatout 1.
Plus there's a lot more animation going on in Motor Storm, just look at the bike drivers.

The canyon environment in MS looks a bit dull though, as canyons often do. Hope there'll be more varied terrain in the finished game.

It's impossible to judge the physics just on a video.

Man this game will be mines day one. I think I will be buying this game and one other game on launch day. That other game has yet to be decided.

radeonic2 said:
Fyi quicktime 7 for the pc sucks, use ffdshow by downloading it and then renaming the highdef quicktime .movs .hdmov and ffdshow will play them, and smoothly even with post processing.
I use a 3200+ A64

The game looks very good imo, but the physics will be more important for me.

It's best to install CoreAVC, disable h.264 decoding in ffdshow, and rename the .mov to .mkv to play them with media player classic. Doing this I was able to play smoothly a 720p .mov in a 800 mhz pentium-m.

Pretty amazing difference between the in car and external cameras. Thanks to the motion blur and general screen blurring going on.

It looks really good, and suits the game stlye well. This sort/level of blurring would be an utter disaster in a game like PGR.

Otherwise though the external views are pretty underwhelming. The models are fairly low detail, their insides are all solid black, no self shadows, no internal parts it would seem. etc. However it still looks great with all the blurring as I guess you brain no longer seems to notice :)

Back