R580+

Poo. Mucho dissappointo at the X1950, a refresh right out of the bad old tradition. Hardly seems worth the bother.

Incidentally, what's the spiel on RV570's memory interface. Is it the full 256-bit monty. RV570 in a thin and light notebook could be fun. Might also help ATI get it's game together in mobile where they have dropped the ball of late.

Not sure if the X1950P'll be faster than a 7900GT considering the X1900GT OCed to 620/700 isn't (and they're basically the same card). Yeah, it'll do better with newer, shader-heavy games--anything with HDR, basically--but most benchmarks aren't "newer games" yet.

Still, pricing could make it interesting.

geo said:
Hey, be that heatpipes I spot there? Don't remember seeing those on the last one.
Yeah, interesting, that. apparently the base heatsink has its fins oriented for a side-mounted case fan, and the heatpipes go to the perpendicular, exhaust-oriented fins. Hope it works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
caboosemoose said:
Poo. Mucho dissappointo at the X1950, a refresh right out of the bad old tradition. Hardly seems worth the bother.

Incidentally, what's the spiel on RV570's memory interface. Is it the full 256-bit monty. RV570 in a thin and light notebook could be fun. Might also help ATI get it's game together in mobile where they have dropped the ball of late.

it's a better refresh than 9800XT, FX 5950 and X850XT, there's a sizable if not huge bandwith increase, of course if you already have a X1900XT don't buy it.

I don't see this here yet:

DailyTech - ATI vendor supplied Radeon x1950 xtx benchmarks leaked

While these early benchmarks show ATI’s X1950XTX/CrossFire beating out NVIDIA’s Quad SLI there’s more to the story. Since the benchmarks are only comparing performance with 4x anti-aliasing and 8x anisotropic filtering at most, it doesn’t show the true performance of NVIDIA’s Quad SLI. The true performance of Quad SLI being its capability to render high levels of anti-aliasing without taking a heavy performance hit. Ryan Shrout at PC Perspective has written an excellent article covering early Quad SLI performance.

For those who are thinking of buying a X1950XTX... be patient. Shortly after the introduction of the X1950XTX ATi will have a rebate of $100 for resellers. The resellers (several big names among them) can choose to keep the $100 in their own pockets or what's more likely... cut down the price of the X1950XTX (currently at $/€399).

For those who are thinking of buying a X1950XTX... be patient. Shortly after the introduction of the X1950XTX ATi will have a rebate of $100 for resellers. The resellers (several big names among them) can choose to keep the $100 in their own pockets or what's more likely... cut down the price of the X1950XTX (currently at $/€399).
Are we talkin' more than a month?

Yep 1000 rpm is barely spinning at all. Don't think I've ever had a fan that could go much slower without completely cutting off.

All these are pointing towards a less power consuming card. Overclockers should be rather assured, that third parry tweakers such as ATiTool should work when it comes to voltage adjustments since the voltage regulators are the same, if not present versions, then updated versions.

Is that a GDDR4 thing?

Yep 1000 rpm is barely spinning at all. Don't think I've ever had a fan that could go much slower without completely cutting off.

I believe my 25CM goes down to 550RPM and actually maxes out at 1000RPM, of course that is a 25CM fan. :)

For comparison Zalman VF900 goes ~1350RPM at the minimum Fanmate setting.

1000 RPM is really low for a fan of that size.

CPU fan on my new server is 600RPM at lowest setting. In use it's about 700 on cold days going up to 1000 when it's warm unless it gets something important to do.

WTF do you use a 25CM fan for !? :oops:

Case fan. Basically its silent but moves just a giantic amount of air. Aerocool and a few other companies are putting them on their cases now. The smallest case fan in my computer is 140mm! The 25cm is great, because of its size its able to cool the graphics card AND the CPU at once.

Nice performance fromm the X1950XTX part. I dont think the price is to bad, and I think it'll help drive down the X1900XT/X prices which will be great for the rest of us who dont plan on going to Dx10 right away and want something powerful.

Also, those temperatures are VERY promising for the new cooler design. Even slightly better than the HIS card, which really is impressive. I wonder at what speeds the fan was spinning at and how the noise levels were. I'm looking forward to seeing some power numbers too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the price is to bad, and I think it'll help drive down the X1900XT/X prices which will be great for the rest of us who dont plan on going to Dx10 right away and want something powerful.

Radeon X1900 prices have dropped pretty substantially in the last week (no doubt partly due to the impending release of the X1950), so I don't suppose they'll fall much further.

Back