R580+

serenity said:
Dailytech has snapped up the first picture

Groovy!
What's the other side look like? The Arctic Cooler that first used this kind of design for the X8x0 also comes with a big chunk metal as a memory cooler for the back of the card. IIRC, the later ones use a smaller plate without so many fins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
What's the other side look like? The Arctic Cooler that first used this kind of design for the X8x0 also comes with a big chunk metal as a memory cooler for the back of the card. IIRC, the later ones use a smaller plate without so many fins.

On the X1900 all of the memory is located on the front of the card, so there would be no reason to have such a thing on the back of this card. It'll probably just include your typical bracket on the back to help keep the heatsink attached.

BTW, I really like the look of that cooler and I love the fact that it still vents out the back, big design choice there. Hopefully its up to the task and quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
serenity said:
Dailytech has snapped up the first picture

20p4pr9.png

Groovy!
Interesting. The fan is different from the Arctic Cooling solutions. I hope that doesn't negatively affect noise.

I suppose that depends on how much work they put into it. And if it is coming in late August, then that's actually not as bad as I'd feared that way. Some suggestions had it in October or November, which certainly would have suggested the way you are pointing at. If it's not a lot of work, and coming in August, then November for R600 doesn't look all that unreaonsable to me at this point.

geo said:
I suppose that depends on how much work they put into it. And if it is coming in late August, then that's actually not as bad as I'd feared that way. Some suggestions had it in October or November, which certainly would have suggested the way you are pointing at. If it's not a lot of work, and coming in August, then November for R600 doesn't look all that unreaonsable to me at this point.

I keep hearing August 7 as the date for R580+, so that's pretty early considering earlier sayings of October and such.

Also, I would believe next to no work had to be done since the memory controller from the start has had support for GDDR4.

I suspect R580 has a good year's life left yet. Is anyone expecting R6xx to be released as anything other than a $500-600 part? Perhaps a value part too, RV615 (as it were)? And won't ATI dilly dally with the performance mainstream R6xx (like it's done with R5xx) - i.e. ~$300?

With full-speed R580 with 256MB coming in at $300 in the next month, the 512MB version (XTX) has gotta be a dead cert for $300 by Christmas, hasn't it? So I expect that'll fill the gap until the $300 R6xx part is ready, say in a year's time (65nm?).

Jawed

Unless I'm mistaken, it is a cooler supplied by Arctic Cooling at ATI's behest.

Rys said:

Yeah, that's what I thought at first. I'd actually be happy if ATi payed Arctic Cooling for the cooler design. Its a proven design, so I'm pretty happy to see this move. I think its a big one for both cooler operation and noise levels.

Hopefully that means it ends up being offered after-market as well. And they spent an extra $.50 on a better motor than the one in the current ATI cooler.

Rys: The shape of the new turbine is not very typical for AC (turbines from AC have curved blades, but this one is very similar to X1800XLs turbine - straight and edgy blades). I can be wrong, of course.

Rys said:

Well I hope they've fixed that business about the pulse driving of the ATI fans that causes the AC fans to whirr. The AC fans would be even quieter if they didn't do this.

I wonder if this the new ATI Cooler is a 'test drive' before plonking it onto the high-end R600 @ 80nm (assuming the cooler is sufficent).

PeterAce said:
I wonder if this the new ATI Cooler is a 'test drive' before plonking it onto the high-end R600 @ 80nm (assuming the cooler is sufficent).

Well there's only so many good designs for carrying out this basic task. ATI probably got fed up of people asking them why they didn't use the same design as the Arctic Cooling Silencer they just bought to replace the original fan. Cooler, quieter, takes hot air out of the case. It's already almost the same as the stock ATI coolers, but backwards to blow air out the case.

My question is why it's taken ATI so long to go down this route.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
It's actually the same fan as the recent Arctic Coolers. AC seems to have changed their fan design on their later rev 2 models.
No, it's not. The fins of the axial fan are all different. The fins on the AC are curved. I hope we're not dealing here with ATI fucking with a perfectly good concept and screwing it up.

Back