R580+

This cooler seems like it busts at least 60% more dust than the X1900XTX's cooler. I have a bad feeling.

Nah, no way they'll come with an even louder cooler when GPU clocks havent changed and they're using lower power memory. They need less cooling...not more.

trinibwoy said:
Nah, no way they'll come with an even louder cooler when GPU clocks havent changed and they're using lower power memory. They need less cooling...not more.

Lower power when clocked the same, but how is that with 1 GHz?

_xxx_ said:
Lower power when clocked the same, but how is that with 1 GHz?

Isn't it something like 45% lower power at comparable clocks? 1GHz is only a ~ 30% clock bump over the XTX's 775Mhz.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Nahh, it's almost an exact copy of the Arctic Cooler version, and that's actually very quiet.

I'll agree to that, owning two of those (one for a 9800Pro, the other for my 7800GT).

Thanks heavens for the FX 5800U cooling solution. I know WaltC does not like it but boy, has it lasted generations. :D We have a lot to thank for that card ...titter ....

trinibwoy said:
Isn't it something like 45% lower power at comparable clocks? 1GHz is only a ~ 30% clock bump over the XTX's 775Mhz.

That's what I meant, the clock bump will eat up the difference thus the cooling will have to be at about the same level.

Can anyone explain why ATi uses straight edged fins? I've seen no solution before that uses such fins, and I was under the idea that they were a key reason behind its noise levels.

Just curious. There is a bit of difference from the fins from the X1900XTX though, which are VERY odd looking. Maybe this new fan will be able to spin at a lower speed and allow same amount of effective cooling.

Skrying said:
Can anyone explain why ATi uses straight edged fins? I've seen no solution before that uses such fins, and I was under the idea that they were a key reason behind its noise levels.

Just curious. There is a bit of difference from the fins from the X1900XTX though, which are VERY odd looking. Maybe this new fan will be able to spin at a lower speed and allow same amount of effective cooling.

Perhaps because the fan is drawing air in from both above and below? d/k
ERK

The Arctic Cooling coolers are quiet until their famed ceramic bearing loosens up and makes semi-quiet grinding sounds. I have these coolers for both a 9700 and a X800GTO2 and both make these noises. The 9700 cooler is particularly awful until it warms up a bit and the bearing apparently expands to quiet it down.

Hey, be that heatpipes I spot there? Don't remember seeing those on the last one.

Just another rumor.... One of my sources was telling me that there is talk about ATi copying nVidia's 7950GX2 with a "X1950XT2". He doesn't know for sure if it's true or not. Personaly I think it won't happen. Two R580s in Gemini would have an enormous power usage, become incredibly hot and need a huge cooler.

CJ said:
Just another rumor.... One of my sources was telling me that there is talk about ATi copying nVidia's 7950GX2 with a "X1950XT2". He doesn't know for sure if it's true or not. Personaly I think it won't happen. Two R580s in Gemini would have an enormous power usage, become incredibly hot and need a huge cooler.

Maybe it isn't so bad if they are on 80nm.

tEd said:
Maybe it isn't so bad if they are on 80nm.

Then it won't be a R580 or R580+ Gemini. Both R580 and R580+ are made on 90nm.

Could be a RV570 though. RV570 has built in Gemini support and also uses the 1950-name. But then again... it would probably be called... a X1950Pro2?

CJ said:
Then it won't be a R580 or R580+ Gemini. Both R580 and R580+ are made on 90nm.

Could be a RV570 though. RV570 has built in Gemini support and also uses the 1950-name. But then again... it would probably be called... a X1950Pro2?

Much more likely and very possible. It makes sense that they would do this really. Especially if the Rv570 is really faster than the 7900GT (2x form the 7950GX2 afterall).

I would imagine this is all to late though. It would seem the solution would be rather expensive and by the time it comes out the threat of the G80 and R600 will be hovering very close by and would hold people from pulling the trigger.

Back