PS3 Goes Into Full Production...

one said:
Perhaps you won't know the exact Wii spec for long while you can measure the clockspeed of PS3 with Linux by yourself when it's released.
I think the whole PS3 desktop Linux thing is a rumor. Is there any confirmation that PS3 will be running a full-featured flavor of Linux?

Arsynic said:
I think the whole PS3 desktop Linux thing is a rumor. Is there any confirmation that PS3 will be running a full-featured flavor of Linux?

It is coming with a 'full' desktop flavour of Linux (in the sense that it's not just the embedded XMB OS, be it Linux-based or not). What exactly that is, what will come in the distro, we don't know yet.

Sorry, a quick question: Did Sony say they will have Linux installed even for the 20Gb HD model ? How big is a Linux distro these days ?

I was following the discussion off and on...

I thought Sony already denied the "nerv'ed specification" rumor ? Why are B3Ders still second guessing ? Even if there's a last minute change in specs, I would assume it should not impact the game developers in any negative way at this late stage ? This is of course not to mention PS3 is already in production.

* "Playstation", "Cell", "Blu-ray", "Motion-sensitive controller" and good launch applications/games would be sufficiently unique and cleaner to promote to laymen. They may do another round of marketing material for launch. Things like "1+7 core 3.2 Ghz Cell" may make its come back, depending on who the marketing guy/gal is.

* If Sony really follows through with multiple configurations, then it may be best to keep the published specs short and sweet (Publish only the stuff that can be "reconfigured" or BTO. heh heh :p ).

patsu said:
Sorry, a quick question: Did Sony say they will have Linux installed even for the 20Gb HD model ? How big is a Linux distro these days ?

They've said it'll be on every HDD AFAIK.

Linux distros vary in size. One example, Fedora Core 5 requires 3GB for a desktop install (or 700MB if you just want a command line).

patsu said:
Sorry, a quick question: Did Sony say they will have Linux installed even for the 20Gb HD model ?
I don't know if Sony ever firmly confirmed there actually will be a linux OS (that is visible to the user anyway; there could be a kernel-like OS that is used by game titles only).

Ken Kutaragi has - more than once - said stuff along the lines of wanting to put a linux OS on every PS3 harddrive (this he said before it was confirmed all PS3s will have harddrives), but that's as far as I think it goes when it comes to official confirmation.

I would think however, if allowed to guess at future events, that if sony makes a general linux OS for PS3, they will include it for all systems, despite harddrive size. It's all about market penetration.

How big is a Linux distro these days ?
At least comparable to ye average XP install I think, but that is for PCs of course with their multitudes of hardware configurations, and undoubtedly containing quite a bit more included application software than we'll ever see in a PS3. I don't think it need to be that big at all in the end actually.

Guden Oden said:
I don't know if Sony ever firmly confirmed there actually will be a linux OS (that is visible to the user anyway; there could be a kernel-like OS that is used by game titles only).

Ken Kutaragi has - more than once - said stuff along the lines of wanting to put a linux OS on every PS3 harddrive (this he said before it was confirmed all PS3s will have harddrives), but that's as far as I think it goes when it comes to official confirmation.

It featured in Kutaragi's March presentation, and they reconfirmed their plans at E3 quite explicitly.

See: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290 , for example.

Tap In said:
wiki is not a source it's an opinion ;)
When wiki takes quotes and links sources and you can follow it out to trusted sources, then you have plenty of material to look up and comment on in full context.

Pooh-poohing Wikipedia because you feel like it seems rather foolish when they back up their "opinions."

scooby_dooby said:
it means the specs are nowhere to be seen lately

And as far as I know, they didn't show them anywhere at E3 06. But I could be wrong about that of course...

Concerning the question about Linux distro size; it's mainly, we can actually say only, related to the number of packages available on the distro. You can have a working Linux distro being smaller than a tens of Megabytes.

cthellis42 said:
When wiki takes quotes and links sources and you can follow it out to trusted sources, then you have plenty of material to look up and comment on in full context.

Pooh-poohing Wikipedia because you feel like it seems rather foolish when they back up their "opinions."

Wikipedia is rated as equally accurate with the Encylopedia Britannica, according to top researchers.

Of course this varies depending on what it is you are looking up.

Also, I believe, the average time for "prank" entries to be edited out is ~5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guden Oden said:

I would think however, if allowed to guess at future events, that if sony makes a general linux OS for PS3, they will include it for all systems, despite harddrive size. It's all about market penetration.

At least comparable to ye average XP install I think, but that is for PCs of course with their multitudes of hardware configurations, and undoubtedly containing quite a bit more included application software than we'll ever see in a PS3. I don't think it need to be that big at all in the end actually.

Ken Kutaragi has told about it serveral times. Games, dont use a OS in traditional sense. What we as users call a OS, is a user interface and a wide array of toolkits, and a kernel who supports it, consoles dont use that.
The OS for games, is a small, extremely low level one. In PS3 it seems its running mostly inside a SPU.
When its talk of Linux, it is not the "game os", and can never BE a game os, for mainstream games, it dont fit the criteria at all.

inefficient said:
Do you think the huge hype around the ps2 occured because ordinary people were getting excited about the clock speeds of the components? Buzz words like "Emotion Engine" and then comments like "powerfull enough for millitary use" got the masses excited. Even when ps3 launch games looked worse or only par with Dreamcast games, people believed in what Sony was selling them.

I wanted to comment on the typo in the above quote because it made me smile.

PS3 launch games not as good as Dreamcast titles, you heard it here first:)

nAo said:
MIA??? what does that mean?

The irony of you of all people asking that question is that you are probably the only one in this thread privy to what the final specs are anyway.

This makes me sad.
:cry:

kimg said:
Ken Kutaragi has told about it serveral times. Games, dont use a OS in traditional sense. What we as users call a OS, is a user interface and a wide array of toolkits, and a kernel who supports it, consoles dont use that.
The OS for games, is a small, extremely low level one. In PS3 it seems its running mostly inside a SPU.
When its talk of Linux, it is not the "game os", and can never BE a game os, for mainstream games, it dont fit the criteria at all.
I've always seen the PS3 flavor of Linux as just a transperant shell that runs low-level OS duties and XMB on the top. I doubt PS3 owners will be able to pull up a command prompt and customize the shell or write their own.

I don't think I will be able to check the component speeds from the command prompt. At the end of the day, best case scenario, the PS3 is still a toy and Sony won't let users get in and screw around with the system.

Arsynic said:
I've always seen the PS3 flavor of Linux as just a transperant shell that runs low-level OS duties and XMB on the top. I doubt PS3 owners will be able to pull up a command prompt and customize the shell or write their own.
Can you share with us where you got that idea?

Back