Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what happened is that the talk of SVO got out of hand. UE4 (and it seems Id Tech 6) both utilize such techniques.

FWIW last time I spoke to anyone at Epic, I believe he told me that although the demo's used SVO's, they'd since changed direction.

I think what happened is that the talk of SVO got out of hand. UE4 (and it seems Id Tech 6) both utilize such techniques.

If the special sauce has anything to do with RT I'd say it'd be in there to help in those techniques. It'd be a bet by MS that UE4 takes off like UE3 did, and they'd be able to claim best performance on it with the least tweaking.

Huh. I remember the first vid that came out showing the SVO technique that Epic based there's off of. It looked pretty revolutionary to me so that's interesting to hear they're not using it anymore.

Though I guess it would make sense to not use the technique anymore if some console didn't have enough memory for it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that would be great. Sony has just presented their newest VR tech with the HMZ-T3 a couple of weeks ago, which is basically the same as the Oculus Rift. But I doubt they will bundle it with each PlayStation since the predecessor, the HMZ-T2, sells at around $900.

Eh ? They did present a HMZ-T3 ? Where ?

You seem stressed. Buy you a beer?

I believe they forbid alcohol consumption in the hospital.

Know what?. I am starting to believe this is the most accurate rumor we have:

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

These systems, with all this secretism, i am starting to believe will be more about peripherals and VR.
The only sticking is that the insider could have been guided by the RAM of the systems in the moment of the leak to make comparissons about power.

Now, that's interesting. The Sony stuff at least sounds plausible. We saw the 'backwards compatible dongle' patent from Sony some time ago, so that fits. Pricing that as an add-on will let them avoid the '599 US dollars LOL' problem while providing BC for those who want it. The OmniCloud stuff seems on target, too. Good name, appropriate use of Gaikai tech. Don't know about 'Omniviewer', though, again, a good name.

I have to wonder about the level of detail in this rumor, though. Pricing? SKU details? Marketing strategy? Who is this guy?

BTW I feel like I need to say this ...

There are clear advantages for RayTracing over traditional Rasterization especially in the area of Pixel density on the screen. The more pixels on the screen, eg. 4k/8k, the more performant RayTracing technique will be over Rasterization..

There are others ... but just saying don't rule out raytracing...

p.s. lots of illuminaries in the game industry want raytracing, if it can be delivered in a performant way lots will jump onto it.. BUT its a new way of thinking!!

There are clear advantages for RayTracing over traditional Rasterization especially in the area of Pixel density on the screen. The more pixels on the screen, eg. 4k/8k, the more performant RayTracing technique will be over Rasterization..
What is your rationale for this claim?

p.s. lots of illuminaries in the game industry want raytracing, if it can be delivered in a performant way lots will jump onto it.. BUT its a new way of thinking!!
Ray tracing is new?

BTW I feel like I need to say this ...

There are others ... but just saying don't rule out raytracing...

It's only partly true the efficiently statement comes from the fact that the cost is proportional to the number of rays which is proportional to the number of screen pixels.
Vs Rasterization where you have to take depth complexity into account.

However that ignores the fact that the cost of determining ray intersections is dependent on the cost of walking whatever data structure your scene graph is using down to the triangle, so it's also proportional to somewhere around LogN of the triangle count.

Raterizers exploit spacial coherence incredibly effectively, and In practice with early Z and rough depth sorting, it is very hard for a Raytracer to approach rasterization speeds for a first hit even at totally stupid resolutions.

Should have figured the VTE stuff wasn't true, i whish it was. But I guess when you think about it logically why would there be this amazing chip that's supposedly very expensive when they're trying to keep costs low with a 1.2TF GPU when there are 3TF GPUs on the market. Is it possible for MS to add a chip that helps the GPU like edram on th 360? Like a voxel chip? (are those real?)

nividia kepler cards do ray tracing, kind of disppointed next gen won't. oh well, on another note why would Epic get rid of SOVGI for something else? Seems like a lot of work, i hope they're not going to remove it and use soemthing older like they did with UE3. or does that mean there IS some sort of raytracing? =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back