Next Gen Killer Instinct?

Bad_Boy said:
how many kart games actually are there these days? maybe like 2-3? Now that we are on the subject of remaking old fighters, I wouldnt mind seeing mortal kombat remade to be more like the orginal 3.

I second that (more like mk2 for me)

speaking of which older version to model after I would hope they model ki3 after the first and not the second. The second seemed to lose its focus a bit.

expletive said:
Excellent, even better. Hmmmm, so what are the other 2 teams doing... Hopefully not another PDZ.

I heard they're working on Kameo2 actually. Not confirmed so don't quote me on it.

All I want to hear is "ki3 is in the works" ... and then shortly afterwards a release date announced ... not far from that announcement ... maybe a few screenshots to whet my appetite.

Fox5 said:
Are you sure? They released Banjo Pilot on the GBA, which just planes, and I can't imagine that Nintendo would let them use Diddy Kong anymore.

http://ds.ign.com/objects/826/826996.html

I had watched an E3 video where they mentioned Rare was working on this title (I think this was at Gametrailers). IGN mentions they do not know who the developer is. It may not be Rare, but I know I had watched a video where they specifically mentioned Rare was working on it, but it could have been an assumption.

As for letting them use it, Nintendo may be getting a cut of the action as the publisher. Mario Kart DS is huge, and Diddy is a known quantity. Why not get Rare to make the title, MS and Nintendo both profit that way. Nintendo gets to use an IP, bolster a genre that is selling fast, and Rare gets to leverage work/experience already done on the N64 and make some easy money. Everyone is happy.

Acert93 said:
Also, Rare has 3 internal teams if I remember correctly.

Is it 3? I was thinking they had four teams; the PDZ team, the Kameo team, the Viva Pinata team, and the Conker team.

gokickrocks said:
they need to put KI1 on xbox live

Yes, yes they do. Sometimes I really don't understand MS, they have this huge backcatalog of games they could put up on Live Arcade and all we see are one or two games a month from third parties. Just imagine Battletoads, RC Pro Am, Killer Instinct, and all the classic Rare N64 games on Live Arcade.

I'd be quite happy with a KI game on Live Arcade, but I'd be happier with a new version!

The series doesn't stand up to games like VF, but it doesn't mean its not fun in its own right -- who doesn't like ridiculous 50++ hit combos? =p

TheChefO said:
Killer Instinct != Mortal Kombat

I could see another mortal kombat doing well if they did it right. From what I've heard they're on the right track and have done well recently with their franchise getting a bit of a revival.

Why wouldn't you like to see another Killer Instinct?

Its not that I dont want to see another Killer Instinct.I would like to see a Killer Instinct but with depth.

Like Mortal Kombat it might fall to the category of fighting games that sell for violence/gore and nothing more. Mortal Kombat is very weak in every way compared to Soul Calibur,Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Tekken or Virtua Fighter. It lacks as a game. Its mediocre. It wouldnt have sold at all if it wasnt for the violence. In my opinion its overrated. And Killer Instinct might become the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man that'd be awesome. But turn it 3D and it'll be just another boring game.

They also need to throw the original on XBLA.

This game was the shizz back in the day for one main reason, graphical wow factor.

And of course, Nintendo hoodwinked me into believing it was playing on the same hardware as what would be the n64 (the "Ultra 64"). In truth N64 ended up less powerful.

sonyps35 said:
Oh man that'd be awesome. But turn it 3D and it'll be just another boring game.

They also need to throw the original on XBLA.

This game was the shizz back in the day for one main reason, graphical wow factor.

And of course, Nintendo hoodwinked me into believing it was playing on the same hardware as what would be the n64 (the "Ultra 64"). In truth N64 ended up less powerful.

N64 was probably a bit more powerful actually. KI1/2 arcade were a 100MHz MIPS R4600 CPU, an Analog Devices ADSP2105 DSP @ 10MHz(for sound only, basically ran a 4 channel 32KHz 16bit MPEG decoder), and no 3d hardware at all. All the graphics were CPU rendered.

Compare with N64 having a 93.75MHz MIPS R4300i and 62.5MHz coprocessor/3d graphics chip.

Reznor007 said:
N64 was probably a bit more powerful actually. KI1/2 arcade were a 100MHz MIPS R4600 CPU, an Analog Devices ADSP2105 DSP @ 10MHz(for sound only, basically ran a 4 channel 32KHz 16bit MPEG decoder), and no 3d hardware at all. All the graphics were CPU rendered.

Compare with N64 having a 93.75MHz MIPS R4300i and 62.5MHz coprocessor/3d graphics chip.

Compare the amount of memory the N64 and the arcade system had. The N64 was absolutely anemic as far as memory went, I remember hearing some of the early demonstrations of what Ultra 64 would look like (that in reality looked much better than anything on the n64) were done on similar hardware, but with 64MB of faster ram than the n64 shipped with.

Since Xbox360 isn't getting Tekken or VF, a KI game would be cool for the platform.

I thought it was getting a Virtua Fighter? Anyhow, it's getting a Dead or Alive, and probably a Mortal Kombat eventually, both of which I consider superior fighting games to Killer Instinct. I never saw what was so impressive about KI, other than its graphics and insane combos, it just didn't have the flow other games had. (plus, in general I dislike all fighters that came before virtua fighter, virtua fighter was the first one that shifted the focus away from remembering needlessly complex button combinations and even added some actual flow into the moves system rather than just predefined combos)

No more Mortal Kombat games... at least according to the developers. Armageddon is supposed to be the last in that universe, and that's not even a Vs. fighter.

sonyps35 said:

ahh remember that!??

I remember thinking the same thing ... not that KI and Cruisin USA were using ultra64 tech but that they were prerendering what would be produced in realtime on the ultra64. THAT was a LETDOWN. Of course looking back on it, expecting magazines like Gamefan to know what the heck they were talking about was a bit rediculous but I digress.

The thing with KI was it had good gameplay (not compared to the greats of today I know but compared to the competition at the time it held its own) and a friggin beautiful environment they placed you in. Not just graphically but that edgy futuristic gritty world that captured the true essence of "technology potential" to me.

If they adapted the game environment to todays market (graphics, gameplay, env interaction etc.) it would sell like hotcakes. As long as they find the original announcer again!! KILLEEEERRRRR COMBOOOO!

Nesh said:
Its not that I dont want to see another Killer Instinct.I would like to see a Killer Instinct but with depth.

Like Mortal Kombat it might fall to the category of fighting games that sell for violence/gore and nothing more. Mortal Kombat is very weak in every way compared to Soul Calibur,Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Tekken or Virtua Fighter. It lacks as a game. Its mediocre. It wouldnt have sold at all if it wasnt for the violence. In my opinion its overrated. And Killer Instinct might become the same thing.

I agree mk wasn't my favorite gameplay exp (sf2!) and ki isn't comparable to the depth of a vf or tekken. But to me when looking at older games its not really about how did this game play, but what was the world they were trying to create. A perfect example would be mario brothers. In the 8-16bit days mario was limited to a sidescroller if you wanted to experience a large sampling of his world (although mode 7 would've been interesting in a mario setting). Then when the tech became available Nintendo droped him in a free roaming 3d world. This is an extreme example but the point is the "game world" or environment is whats important to the FRANCHISE. What you as a developer do within that world is what makes or brakes a game.

On this basis I say the FRANCHISE of Killer Instinct has HUGE potential next gen and frankly the game world to me is a lot more appealing than any other fighter on the market. What Rare does with it is up to them but I have faith they can produce a system seller. Perhaps not a system seller to those that dont like the GAME WORLD, but a potential system seller to those that find it very appealing. How many gamers find it appealing? Well judging from the initial success it had in the arcades I would say quite a few my friends, quite a few.

Agree?

NOW BRING OUT THE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY!

TheChefO said:
I agree mk wasn't my favorite gameplay exp (sf2!) and ki isn't comparable to the depth of a vf or tekken. But to me when looking at older games its not really about how did this game play, but what was the world they were trying to create. A perfect example would be mario brothers. In the 8-16bit days mario was limited to a sidescroller if you wanted to experience a large sampling of his world (although mode 7 would've been interesting in a mario setting). Then when the tech became available Nintendo droped him in a free roaming 3d world. This is an extreme example but the point is the "game world" or environment is whats important to the FRANCHISE. What you as a developer do within that world is what makes or brakes a game.

On this basis I say the FRANCHISE of Killer Instinct has HUGE potential next gen and frankly the game world to me is a lot more appealing than any other fighter on the market. What Rare does with it is up to them but I have faith they can produce a system seller. Perhaps not a system seller to those that dont like the GAME WORLD, but a potential system seller to those that find it very appealing. How many gamers find it appealing? Well judging from the initial success it had in the arcades I would say quite a few my friends, quite a few.

Agree?

NOW BRING OUT THE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY!

I have only one thing to say about that. If Mario didnt have great gameplay along with the beautiful game world it wouldnt have been so popular and praised.

Nesh said:
I have only one thing to say about that. If Mario didnt have great gameplay along with the beautiful game world it wouldnt have been so popular and praised.

True - hence "potential". Do you question Rare's ability to produce a great gameplay experience?

Back