WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teasy said:
What bus width's does the newest 1T-Sram-Q support? GameCube's 1T-Sram used a 64bit bus, but what could Wii use? Surely if they've increased the amount of ram by 4 to 5 times then bandwidth must also have increased (more then the 50% the higher clock would allow for).

Actually the 50% clock increase is below the minimum of that the 1T-SRAM-Q allows.

And the actual bus is a 128 bits bus.

For the GPU, but not for main memory. Not if Wii has a similar multipler setup to GC that is (if the GPU and CPU speeds are correct then at least the CPU/GPU multiplers seem to be the same as GC, but who knows if the info is correct..). GameCube's main ram ran at 324Mhz a 3 times multiple of Flipper, so a 50% overclock would mean 486Mhz. Though of course its easy for Nintendo to change there multipler settings and use a wider bus to compensate.

Is the minimum bus width for 1T-Sram-Q really 128bit BTW? Where did you see that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Urian said:
http://www.mosysinc.com/idm_solutions/

See how the 180nm 1T-SRAM memory at 162Mhz is between the Low Power and the High Power memory (I am talking about Gamecube) and is usable in a system with a 39W PSU.

Now take the 90nm and you can see how the ATI GPU in Hollywood can be clocked between 250 and 450Mhz, a a number more higher than the 243Mhz that Matt Talked about.

And if we add the fact that the 1T-SRAM at 90nm is 1T-SRAM-Q that has 3 times more density all the mythos of LSI at 243Mhz and 3MB eDRAM only crumbles from the base.

Do you remember the rumour of Cube with 64MB of main memory and 8MB eDRAM?

Maybe it was Revolution circa 2003/2004?

BTW, niether Nintendo or ATI are listed on MoSys's customers page. I don't recall seeing IBM either, though Sony was there.

Fox5 said:
Maybe it was Revolution circa 2003/2004?

BTW, niether Nintendo or ATI are listed on MoSys's customers page. I don't recall seeing IBM either, though Sony was there.

Is NEC who is going to fab the Hollywood LSI.

Teasy said:
Any guesses at what kind of bus Nintendo might use with the main 1T-Sram-Q memory? GameCube's 1T-Sram used a 64bit bus, but what could Wii use? Surely if they've increased the amount of ram by 4 to 5 times then bandwidth must also have increased.
If what we've heard is correct...

GameCube
Main RAM: 24MB 1T-SRAM @ 324MHz/64bit = 2.6GB/s
A RAM: 16MB SDRAM @ 81MHz/8bit = 81MB/s

Wii
Main RAM: 24MB 1T-SRAM-Q @ 486MHz/64bit = 3.9GB/s
A RAM: 64MB 1T-SRAM-Q @ 486MHz/64bit = 3.9GB/s

mattcoz said:

GameCube

Wii

This not make sense that the A-RAM is large than the Work RAM. Is just one of the errors in Matt report about Wii specs.

mattcoz said:

GameCube

Wii

I don't think Matt ever claimed to know what the bus width would be for Wii. Why should it be 64bit?

Urian said:
This not make sense that the A-RAM is large than the Work RAM. Is just one of the errors in Matt report about Wii specs.
The point is that the A-RAM is essentially more Work RAM, separated this way for backwards compatibility. Wii would treat it as simply 88MB of Work RAM with 7.8GB/s of bandwidth. But yeah, it might be wrong, just going by the little information we have.
Teasy said:
I don't think Matt ever claimed to know what the bus width would be for Wii. Why should it be 64bit?
Assuming it will be the same as GameCube if they're using the same 2 chip 24MB configuration of the Main RAM, and the A RAM being the same speed as the Main RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the bus is the same as GC's it would be 64bit yes but what I'm asking is why assume that? The ram amount is at least 3.5 times the size of GC's so why not a bigger bus to match?

Also I wouldn't really call the 64MB portion of ram A-Ram in Wii's case to be honest, since its just as fast as the 24MB portion and obviously bigger it will be the dominant pool of ram for Wii games.

Anybody know if an upgraded/modified Flipper with say 130 million transistors can compete with a X1300 using Hypermemory?

Teasy said:
Assuming the bus is the same as GC's it would be 64bit yes but what I'm asking is why assume that? The ram amount is at least 3.5 times the size of GC's so why not a bigger bus to match?
Well it essentially has a 128bit bus, 64bit to the 24MB Main RAM and 64bit to the 64MB A-RAM.

Teasy said:
Also I wouldn't really call the 64MB portion of ram A-Ram in Wii's case to be honest, since its just as fast as the 24MB portion and obviously bigger it will be the dominant pool of ram for Wii games.
Doesn't really matter what you call it, it replaces the A-RAM in GameCube so I called it that. It will be treated as one pool of RAM, so just think of it as 88MB of RAM with a 128bit bus and 7.8GB/s of bandwidth. Not too shabby.

mattcoz said:
Well it essentially has a 128bit bus, 64bit to the 24MB Main RAM and 64bit to the 64MB A-RAM.

Doesn't really matter what you call it, it replaces the A-RAM in GameCube so I called it that. It will be treated as one pool of RAM, so just think of it as 88MB of RAM with a 128bit bus and 7.8GB/s of bandwidth. Not too shabby.

i'm affraid the arithmetic is not so straight forward. you get the combined bus width and combined bandwidth only when doing sequential accesses to both pools., i.e. when an interleaving scheme is in place. it may be hw (and implicit) or it may be sw, ie. explicit. if implicit it should be for all memory consumer devices in the system, if the cpu writes are interleaved, the dma and hollywood reads should be interleaved in exactly the same way. when the interleaving is explicit, ie. through sw, it's upond the code's discretion to what extent it can utilize the double bus/bandwidth.

darkblu said:
i'm affraid the arithmetic is not so straight forward. you get the combined bus width and combined bandwidth only when doing sequential accesses to both pools., i.e. when an interleaving scheme is in place. it may be hw (and implicit) or it may be sw, ie. explicit. if implicit it should be for all memory consumer devices in the system, if the cpu writes are interleaved, the dma and hollywood reads should be interleaved in exactly the same way. when the interleaving is explicit, ie. through sw, it's upond the code's discretion to what extent it can utilize the double bus/bandwidth.
True, plus we don't know about the bus between Broadway and Hollywood, could still be only 64bit. So yeah, not nearly that straightforward, but just pointing out that there is more bandwidth there to use.

To add some fuel to the fire, here's an interesting interview...

http://www.easynintendo.net/viewtopic.php?t=9

I've helped work on this site (this is its second incarnation), so I don't have any major cause to distrust the Sitelord...can't wait to see her pics from E3! Of course, you have no cause to trust me, which is why I'm not making a new thread for this. You have to admit, if this is a fake interview, it's the best fake interview ever.

fearsomepirate said:
To add some fuel to the fire, here's an interesting interview...

http://www.easynintendo.net/viewtopic.php?t=9

I've helped work on this site (this is its second incarnation), so I don't have any major cause to distrust the Sitelord...can't wait to see her pics from E3! Of course, you have no cause to trust me, which is why I'm not making a new thread for this. You have to admit, if this is a fake interview, it's the best fake interview ever.

I was about to call shens on the rather specific hardware specs, but then I noticed it was someone from UbiSoft and not Nintendo.
Performance between an AXP 2400+ and a 3000+ is pretty specfic, and much higher than the leaked Mhz numbers for the cpu would indicate. Still, the gap in Mhz could easily mostly be made up for by low latency ram and a faster bus. Hmm, too bad he doesn't specify whether it's an athlon xp on a kt333 or an nforce2, but it sounds sufficient for next gen consoles considering I think the 360's cpu was supposed to be giving about a similar level in single threaded performance. The GPU sounds weak, but nice to know it has double the pixel pipelines, perhaps a second TEV?
I wonder if the comments about the Wii CPU being Athlon XP 3000+ level means that it will have absurdly high performance per mhz (perhaps due to a faster and much lower latency bus), will be clocked higher than has been said, or if that's just taking into account that physics are offloaded to the GPU.
8MB ram for the gpu sounds decent, is it big enough to do 4xAA at 480p?

firesome, if you're pulling a fast one you're gonna be sorry! :)

giving it the benefit of doubt, couple of things:

* there's somethig in the air that promisses the system to be indeed devoid of any major bottlenecks *fingers crossed*. the GC was already a little mean machine... hell, the GC must be the most flattered hw in console history, given what compliment ATI made to it with the 360, MS' marketting stupidity aside.

* the CPU power quoted in the interview is impressive. if this turns out to be right the Wii will be the most power-efficient and value-per-cm^3 device in many households (presently in my house this position is held by the mighty mini on my desktop). kudos to that!

On my own behalf, Jessica did the interview, not me (I wrote most of the q's). If she's lying to me, then I will of course never have anything to with Easy Nintendo again, but I trust her. Of course I don't want to be part of BS...I was the first to blast Han_Solo's fake specs on a couple Nintendo forums when lots of people were taking them seriously. Also, I would regard the CPU statement as a bit hand-wavy. After all, he's comparing a PPC to an AMD processor. Maybe it's a modestly-clocked dual-core solution. Or maybe they put some extra execution threads in there? Perhaps a fat vector unit (but then physics would be done on the CPU, right)? Or maybe he means that the Wii CPU will perform like the AMD CPU does in normal PC gaming situations, which of course have all kinds of WinXP tomfoolery going on in the background (this seems to me most likely). To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about modern CPUs, so I can only speculate.

Well I'd be very happy if this was true. I think a GPU similar in power to a X1600 would be easily enough for next gen games. As would a CPU similar in power to a XP2800+ (this is a closed platform at 640x480 after all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back