Popup in GR:AW?

Powderkeg said:
Yes, and if they would check their Tactical Map, they would see that the areas that have those problems are off-map.

If it's not on the map, how could it be a "level design glitch"? It's not part of the level.

it's not limited to out of bounds areas. I've seen moments where Im running up to a crate, on the other side is an enemy that suddeny dissapears as the object he's hiding behind gets drawn in.

i'd say I might see 1 or 2 instances of popin of some sort per level. on hard, levels can take a good hour or two, so that should put it in perspective.

Maybe they are culling these objects when not in view except the update speed is lower than the frame rate leading to the popup? Possibly to save CPU time.

kyleb said:
Like I said; many people just don't notice the things they don't care to see.
I have a DLP TV and don't see the "rainbow effect" that DLPs are known for. My brother, an artist, sees them right away. My girlfriend can pick out a bird sitting in a tree hundreds of yards away and she can tell me the name of it based on the color and shape of its tail feathers. Some people are more sensitive to certain things.

dukmahsik said:
looks like they could have used another month for touch ups

no way, this problem is so minor it's hardly worth discussing.

when I'm flying 200ft above a city in a chopper with a 2 mile view distance for 20 minutes and not a single sign of pop-in, it really doesn't bother me when in one specific part of a level, a water tower takes an extra half second to pop-in.

that's probably why most reviews didn't even bother to mention it.

scooby_dooby said:
no way, this problem is so minor it's hardly worth discussing.

exactly

In this game it is not even noticable unless you play games for the sole purpose of admiring or critiquing the technical acuity of the build rather than for enjoyment.

Tap In said:
exactly

In this game it is not even noticable unless you play games for the sole purpose of admiring or critiquing the technical acuity of the build rather than for enjoyment.

yep, we can nitpick ANY game to death

The OP was about does it happen and does it vary between console hardware, not 'this popin ruins this game.' Discussing whether popin should be overlooked or not is really another topic. What we have so far determined is there is popin. What hasn't been determined is whether those saying they don't see have hardware that doesn't have this problem, or just aren't noticing it.

Shifty Geezer said:
The OP was about does it happen and does it vary between console hardware, not 'this popin ruins this game.' Discussing whether popin should be overlooked or not is really another topic. What we have so far determined is there is popin. What hasn't been determined is whether those saying they don't see have hardware that doesn't have this problem, or just aren't noticing it.
good point

I don't know why I don't have it to the point that others may.

I'm always a little wary of the claims that one sees it but another does not, due to the overwhelming possibility that some are just looking for a reason to detract from a game. :cool:

right, let's poll everyone that has that game and see if they have popups! no really, im sure it does and that's why it got low 9s instead of mid 9s.

Tap In said:
I'm always a little wary of the claims that one sees it but another does not, due to the overwhelming possibility that some are just looking for a reason to detract from a game. :cool:
The difference in perceptions of all sorts of things are really weird. AA, texture filtering, framerate glitches... For every person that sees a fault that 'makes their eyes bleed' and 'gives them a headache' and 'is the lousiest piece of coding ever', another person or three can reply that there's no problems at all, AA is at least 4x, texture filtering is perfect, and this is the best looking game ever created. I'd love to know the cause of such totally divergent opinions in some cases. MAkes such discussions very difficult, when there's no objective info to go on.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, and I'm not suggesting that this is really detracting from the experience, but like I said, if different people really are seeing dramatic differences, then something's not right.
I did notice that if you watch the little videos in the "tips" list,( I forget which one), you can see it when the dude peeks around the corner if you look closely. Also, you can pick out a little bit in one of the "developer diary" videos, as the guy runs up to the edge of the roof in the beginning of the "bulldog" level. You can also see it in the 10-minute video on xboxyde.com.
Sure, I feel a little silly spending an hour looking for this shit, but understand that I'm just concerned about the possibility I could have a faulty gpu or something, not just nitpicking the game engine.
Anyway, I guess "no pop-up" could be subjective in this case. If "pop-up" to you means trees and houses and stuff materializing out of thin air GTA style as you run forward, then hell no, this game has no pop-up.

I have seen a few occurences of "popup" myself in GRAW, especially when peeking around corners. It could be an occlusion culling mechanism that is a bit too agressive ?

Would it be for example possible that the developers have an "agressivity" setting for their occlusion culling mechanism built in their engine (from "conservative" to "agressive"), and that with the launch deadline approaching, they applied a bolder setting to reach the desired performance level, at the cost of a few visual glitches ? I had this idea after reading about developers turning off AF to reach desired performance in the huge "Xenos AF" thread...

As eloquently put by maven, I also believe it is the result of
[maven] said:
Overagressive visibility culling that returns the occlusion state a frame or two late to prevent flushing the render pipeline when waiting for a result. IMO.

Back