New HDMI Standards and Blu-ray Security Delaying PS3

Joe DeFuria said:
* Sony has been mum on launch...though they used to be "steadfastedly" sticking to "we're launching on time spring '06".

* I've read various reports of Sony softening their stance on "launch"...anywhere to "still targetting Spring for one territory", to "Sony will postpone launch". Other rumors point to an '07 launch for Europe...

I'm expecting a delay, but publically Sony is still sticking by Spring 06. They never claimed it would be a multi-region launch, and in fact have suggested for some time now that it wouldn't be. So I don't see a significant change in their outward stance lately, except for the "get-out" clause that one spokesperson mentioned, regarding finalisation of aacs/hdmi spec.

Joe DeFuria said:
Nothing like contempt for your customers, right? ;)

Assuming sound reasoning for a delay - i.e. to ensure the product is ready - how would a delay be showing contempt toward consumers, exactly? You think launching earlier when it is not ready would show consumers more respect? Quite the opposite, IMO.

Titanio said:
Assuming sound reasoning for a delay - i.e. to ensure the product is ready - how would a delay be showing contempt toward consumers, exactly? You think launching earlier when it is not ready would show consumers more respect? Quite the opposite, IMO.

If only you were part of the X360 launch team...

I'm referring more to hardware readiness, than software readiness, the latter is always going to be a subjective matter.

I think it would be far worse for Sony to cut the spec they've announced in order to meet some arbitrary launch period in a territory that isn't exactly their most vulnerable. If they need to, and can afford to, wait to get the product they want out there, then they should.

Ultimately I think at most there'll be a couple months of a delay beyond June, in Japan, which would be pretty insignificant in the long run. They'll be out in Japan in the US this year, of that I have very little doubt.

Dr Evil said:
June 21st is not technically spring, because umm... it's MIDSUMMER!
here is the defintion of spring from wikipedia "Spring is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. Astronomically, it begins with the spring equinox (around March 21 in the Northern Hemisphere, and September 23 in the Southern Hemisphere), and ends with the summer solstice (around June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and December 21 in the Southern Hemisphere)."

Titanio said:
I'm expecting a delay, but publically Sony is still sticking by Spring 06. They never claimed it would be a multi-region launch, and in fact have suggested for some time now that it wouldn't be.

Sony hasn't said anything about their launch except "Spring." The fan-boys have been massaging that message to suit whatever the feeling of the day is. ;)

Assuming sound reasoning for a delay - i.e. to ensure the product is ready - how would a delay be showing contempt toward consumers, exactly?

My comment was directed at ROG27. That is, having the attitude that "the customers will just be content to wait." I'm quite sure that Sony doesn't exactly have that attitude...

You think launching earlier when it is not ready would show consumers more respect? Quite the opposite, IMO.

Agreed. This doesn't mean that consumers would just happily wait though as Rog suggests. You can't ship what you don't have...the longer you are unwilling or unable to ship however, the higher the risks are of losing customers.

Joe DeFuria said:
Yup. And I think 2 million is quite "opimistic." Whereas 1 million is not pessimistic.

For a production period which is twice as long, I would have to disagree.

Joe DeFuria said:
Sony hasn't said anything about their launch except "Spring." The fan-boys have been massaging that message to suit whatever the feeling of the day is. ;)

Well, I'm not sure which insinuated ******s you are referring to, but if you want to go by official announcements only....Spring 2006 it is then.

My comment was directed at ROG27. That is, having the attitude that "the customers will just be content to wait." I'm quite sure that Sony doesn't exactly have that attitude...

I never said that Sony wants them to wait. Sony wants to get PS3 out as soon as possible. It seems there are a few things preventing them from finalizing the console. I simply said they will wait if Sony can't make their projected launch date because of things outside their control, happily absorbing themselves in other things--being that portable gaming is all the rave now-a-days in Japan.

Agreed. This doesn't mean that consumers would just happily wait though as Rog suggests. You can't ship what you don't have...the longer you are unwilling or unable to ship however, the higher the risks are of losing customers.

I agree. They might lose them to Nintendo if PS3 doesn't ship by November. But November in Japan doesn't look like its on the back-up plan...September does..

We're much closer in what we think about this console launch than you think we are. I'm not on one extreme side of the fence like you may think I am.

ROG27 said:
We're much closer in what we think about this console launch than you think we are. I'm not on one extreme side of the fence like you may think I am.

I didn't say you were extreme.

Again, I said you were optimisitic, while at the same time I don't believe I'm being pessimistic.

Maybe a chart will help? IMO:

Code:
<PESSIMISM---------------------<NEUTRAL>-----------------<OPTIMISM>
<---------------------------------ME----------YOU----------------->

You know Sony needs to release PS3 information when...
<nu>faust said:
here is the defintion of spring from wikipedia "Spring is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. Astronomically, it begins with the spring equinox (around March 21 in the Northern Hemisphere, and September 23 in the Southern Hemisphere), and ends with the summer solstice (around June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and December 21 in the Southern Hemisphere)."

scooby_dooby said:
word of the day. :D

Hanging around one's 3 and 5 year old will do that to you. :) Although tonight Mom and I just had a huge laugh. We told our 3 year old she had to eat a few more bites of pork chops and veggies before having any dessert. First she responded "Oh...man!" which she says that a lot....but this time it was very quickly followed by "...Damnit!".

We did our best to compose ourselves...

Joe DeFuria said:
Hanging around one's 3 and 5 year old will do that to you. :) Although tonight Mom and I just had a huge laugh. We told our 3 year old she had to eat a few more bites of pork chops and veggies before having any dessert. First she responded "Oh...man!" which she says that a lot....but this time it was very quickly followed by "...Damnit!".

We did our best to compose ourselves...

:LOL:

One thing's for sure. The PS3 at least wont be rushed. Developers should have plenty of time with final hardware by the time the system launches.

Back