"[RSX] ... we're still waiting" - Anon games exec, BusinessWeek article

Xbox had quite some specular marketing and everyone knew that MS is behind it so if it makes a loss it dont matter.
Regarding the numbers thrown out here i can only laugh at some and think some are more on the right spot.

I think PS2 will stagnate at 120+ before its "done" and i see no reason why PS3 could not reach that number with the HUGE library of games from PS1/2.
At the end, 150 million dont seem impossible in my mind if the market grows as expected.

Whit the 360 i dont care to speculate which succes it will have but of course it will do much much better than the xbox and should 100 millions unit number seem absurd with the rev at 50 million at THE END?

I mean quite frankly if your not a hardware enthusiast or extreme fan of the 360 and if i hadnt had an xbox before i think for the majority of people that picking up an xbox with -Halo2LE-riddick plus the unit for 130 Euro is a MUCH better GAMING AND OVERALL much better choise than a 360premium-pack + 3 games for about 580 Euros. I frankly dont think anyone could argue against that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope that Sony will actually exist in 5 years so that they can sell all this billions of ps3s.They are getting such a beating everywhere else so they might as well turn into a videogames' company like Nintendo.(except with huge debts UNLIKE nintendo)

fulcizombie said:
Let's hope that Sony will actually exist in 5 years so that they can sell all this billions of ps3s.They are getting such a beating everywhere else so they might as well turn into a videogames' company like Nintendo.(except with huge debts UNLIKE nintendo)

I dont see a danger this generation and Sony has begunn quite some heavy finance restructuring. Sony is VERY large but compared to MS almost every company seems small or tiny, with a few expectations.
I dont think anyone want MS to have a second monopoly and i cant see them get there now. But according to some on the boards it seems like they want MS domination everywhere.
I want competition between two major players in everything (the more the better) cause thats whats benefit the consumer in the end. Its really nothing more to it than that.

Barbarian said:
it looks like something built in someones basement. Very rough in my mind.
Come on, you gotta love all the little led diodes on the front, it's like a 1950's modem :p
Although the PS2 kits of the same era were even funnier - they didn't have a cover on front - the innards were wide open (with even more little leds all over the place).
They were pretty much the same size too, if not slightly bigger (for all those people who think PS3 kits are "huge").

Anyway I am wondering how loud the finals will be though - my DTL10k has gotten progressively louder over the years (and it was always very loud to begin with) so nowadays I only turn it on if I absolutely must as opposed to just having it turned on constantly.

Fafalada said:
Come on, you gotta love all the little led diodes on the front, it's like a 1950's modem :p
Although the PS2 kits of the same era were even funnier - they didn't have a cover on front - the innards were wide open (with even more little leds all over the place).
They were pretty much the same size too, if not slightly bigger (for all those people who think PS3 kits are "huge").

Anyway I am wondering how loud the finals will be though - my DTL10k has gotten progressively louder over the years (and it was always very loud to begin with) so nowadays I only turn it on if I absolutely must as opposed to just having it turned on constantly.

Indeed it looks very 1960ish, it could be considered cool from a certain viewpoint. And talking about noise - jeez, this thing is loud. It must have few giant fans in there. I'm really thinking about putting it in a soundproof box or something.
Merry Christmas everybody.

EpicZero said:
That doesn't bode well for the retail PS3. Were the PS2 kits as loud?

Fafalada said:

EpicZero said:

The kits were always a lot louder than the retail machine. The T15K PA machine was like having a harrier jump-jet under your desk. I used to hide mine behind a few boxes to muffle the noise.

I wouldn't worry about the final machine, it will not be engineered in the same way as the devkit.

EpicZero said:

I think the noise levels of the X360 are all we needed to hear to get an approximation of the PS3. Devkits aside, i would expect the ps3 to have the same heat dissipation/noise hurdles of the 360, unless they change what the case looks like...

expletive said:
I think the noise levels of the X360 are all we needed to hear to get an approximation of the PS3. Devkits aside, i would expect the ps3 to have the same heat dissipation/noise hurdles of the 360, unless they change what the case looks like...

Possibly, but they're quite good at dealing with heat, look at the ps2s and their giant heatsinks(iirc).

scooby_dooby said:
lol, this board is hilarious.}

what do we have, like half a dozen people arguign that sony will sell 200million PS3's in 5 years!???

what planet to you guys come from? delusion?

100million would be waaaaay beyond reasonable expectations, 200 million is just retarded, and I can't believe that anyone would even attempt to try and argue that point.

Analysts have them on track for roughly 20million by the end of 2008, yet the "experts" on this board peg them at 200million only 3 years later. Are you kidding me?

It's pretty funny that the only logical people in this thread, like qroach, and expletive, who make complete and total sense, are being attacked as if they don't know what they're talking about, by a bunch of people trying to argue the RIDICULOUS notion that sony will sell 200million in 5 years.

WHat are youg uys smoking? I want a hit!

This is what passes for DEBATE around here? Insults? I guess the mods are on Christmas holiday...

The high end of these estimates isn't reliant on the gaming market. It's all about the value-add of Blu-ray/HDMI on the PS3 colliding with 2007's digital television transition which will see most major manufacturers pushing HDTV as the new standard, and eliminating most SDTV product lines by 2008. Most HDTVs bought in 2000-2001 are expected to be replaced by 2008 as well, so it's not like all these new HDTVs are going to be picked up by new HDTV buyers either.

It is inevitable.

Once consumers are in the HD world, especially at the 1080 resolutions (hopefully the standard resolution by 2007-2008,) and display sizes larger than 50", no one is going to want those old DVDs that look blurry and not even as good as their broadcast television.

That's where the value of PS3 will really shine. The digital/HDTV transition, major motion pictures on Blu-ray, and the third wave of PS3 games that will really show the power of the system, and streamlined PS3 manufacturing (with the corresponding retail price drop,) make for the "perfect storm," to push PS3 sales to new heights from 2008 and beyond.

150 Million seems like a solid, conservative estimate to me. If it all comes together as the display manufacturers expect, 200 Million is actually feasible.

There are plenty of good reasons for reasonable people to be optomistic. There is absolutely NO REASON to insult people that have a different vision of the future than you do by suggesting they are "retarded," illogical, or taking drugs.

Shame on you, scooby_doobie.

expletive said:

Isn't the main culprit for X360's noise levels the DVD drive, when it spins up? The Blu-ray drive in PS3 will be spinning a lot slower - and thus should be a fair bit quieter, at least you'd think. All else being equal, if the drives become the deciding factor for noise level, PS3 may end up being quieter.

expletive said:

I just speculate hear but Cell atleast *should* consume both less power(according to the documentation), plus the bigger diesize should make it more friendly in the way that heat will be spread and then cooled over a larger area. The RSX i have no idea about of course but you could make guesstimates aswell.

In the end what will matter is good engineering on the cooling system and fanspeeds depending on the load IMO. Also has the design and finish of the PS3 been adjusted with these things in mind, well of course it has but how does it work.

Just compare with PCs and you can have one computer that is much hotter and demands more fans but thanks to brilliant engineering it is as quiet as it could get. Likewise another PC with the same parts but different fans and cooling solutions sounds like the Dustbuster.

Titanio said:
Isn't the main culprit for X360's noise levels the DVD drive, when it spins up? The Blu-ray drive in PS3 will be spinning a lot slower - and thus should be a fair bit quieter, at least you'd think. All else being equal, if the drives become the deciding factor for noise level, PS3 may end up being quieter.

Nope, the dvd drive is very quiet. The 360 is unquestionably less noisy than my ps2 in dvd playback mode.

AlphaWolf said:
Nope, the dvd drive is very quiet. The 360 is unquestionably less noisy than my ps2 in dvd playback mode.

Apparently it's different with games (the drive may spin faster for games vs movies, i guess?). Also may be an element of (bad) luck with different units:

The unit I have is noisy – the fans are audible but the main source of disconcertion is the DVD drive. It is very noticeably noisy, and spins practically continuously when playing a game. Watching DVDs is not the same; the main noise heard (if the TV volume is low enough) is the fans. This noise becomes background noise once you get into the game, but if your concentration is disturbed, or you’re watching a cut scene, it becomes foreground noise once again, which is disappointing to say the least. It’s been reported some units are quiet all the time; others likened to the noise of a jet aircraft – a slight exaggeration, but highlights the point that there seems to be an element of potluck which DVD drive and/or fans yours is possibly going to have.

From a review on lordpercy.com. I've read a fair number of reports on the web that have pointed to the dvd drive as the main source of noise once it gets going.

Laa-Yosh said:
vs

Look who's talking?

So you don't think the television/display manufacturing industry's transition to HDTV is inevitable?

...that's what I was talking about, after all.

Thanks for cutting up my post so readers can't even tell what I was talking about...that's your idea of honest debate?

Back