X360-Maybe the best launch line-up ever?

Inquisitive_Idiot said:
Since I am too lazy to look it up, what is, in terms of gamimg, the definition of a port?

As far as I am concerned, it means a game built from the ground up with one platform in mind, later (after release) having its assets (game engine) moved to another platform of lesser capability. This usually leads to the port being of lesser quality than the original. An example of this would be Morrowind for Xbox, in which case, the controls and graphics were not as good as the PC counterpart.

Holt

^That is pretty much my definition.

Inquisitive_Idiot said:
Since I am too lazy to look it up, what is, in terms of gamimg, the definition of a port?

As far as I am concerned, it means a game built from the ground up with one platform in mind, later (after release) having its assets (game engine) moved to another platform of lesser capability. This usually leads to the port being of lesser quality than the original. An example of this would be Morrowind for Xbox, in which case, the controls and graphics were not as good as the PC counterpart.

Holt

I would agree but I wouldn't say going to a platform of lesser capability, because game coming from the xbox to the pc are ports also, but most of the time they suck aswell

Inquisitive_Idiot said:
having its assets (game engine) moved to another platform of lesser capability.

Holt

What about when riddick was ported from x-box to PC.

What if COD was running on a medium spec PC, then ported to 360. the 360 version would look beter. but that would conflict with what you said.

And the same thing happens with a extremely high spec PC. that would make 360 inferior due to higher resolution, filtering, AA etc.

Ah please, for last weeks I've been thinking how nice Console-forum is nowadays. But this thread seems to contradict that quite much.

Best launch window ever? Before 360 I think people were saying that about the PSP. As the industry grows I think launches will keep getting bigger with more games people ported to any system that's able to run it.

Inquisitive_Idiot said:
As far as I am concerned, it means a game built from the ground up with one platform in mind, later (after release) having its assets (game engine) moved to another platform of lesser capability.
So you rate XB as a lesser console than PS2? For Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was ported to XB after PS2, as was PES. You may want to revise your definition a little ;)

I have to say anyone thinking all these PC ports acceptable is a prime nimrod, grade A doofus of biblical proportions. For me and all the sane people of this world, we'd rather have original titles for our launch window of our beloved console no matter how rubbish they are, than any quantity of award winning AAA titles if these games are also to be available on inferior hardware scum. :devilish:

:mrgreen:

Q, where do you see that the PC will lead the Condemned effort? The Xbox 360 version--according to IGN--has a Nov '05 release date whereas the PC version has a TBA.

oh you could be right I'm not certain if I had my info correct on that one. Anyway this is all a non issue. every game coming out for xbox 360 and PS3 int eh first wave were titles designed on PC to start with, then moved/migrated over to console when the devkits were released.

Considering youd ahve to spend about $1500 on a PC to run Oblivion at the same quality as a $400 Xbox 360, i cant see how its relevant if its a 'port' or not.

IMO, the games should be judged on their own in the console world alone. The reason being, at this point, in order to get similar performance youd have to spend a LOT more on a PC which is entirely NOT an option for most people.

J

:LOL: At all the PC hate. I have barely got 10 posts in the first page and this thread is already spiraling!

How many people own gaming PCs? i.e. $1,000+ rigs
How much overlap is there between the console and PC market?

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

According to Valve's survey, note 6 of the top 8 GPUs (basically all the GPUs with more than 3% of the market):

9.6% of PC gamers have Radeon 9600 GPUs (SE, Pro, XT)
8.0% of PC gamers have FX5200 GPUs
6.5% of PC gamers have MX 400 series GPUs (MX440, MX420)
5.1% of PC gamers have Radeon 9200 series GPUs
4.8% of PC gamers have GeForce 4 series GPUs (Ti4200, Ti4600)
3.3% of PC gamers have GeForce 2 series GPUs

The top PC gamers (37.3% of gamers) have HORRIBLE GPUs!

The only *decent* GPUs with more than 3% of the market, according to the Valve Survey, are the 9800 series (128bit, 256bit, SE/Pro/XT) with 9.3% and the GeForce 6600 series (normal and GT) with 5.5%. And these cards are not even in the same class as Xenos. And remember, this survey is wonkey on the 9600/9800 series because of the vouchers.

The only GPU in the Xenos class is the GF 7800GTX--which a whopping .4%, meaning 4 out of 1,000 users, has!

Easy conclusion: There is not significant overlap in the audiance; and for most PC gamers the $300 Xbox 360 is going to play the game better than their rig and better than almost any sub-$1000 PC.

Sorry, being able to play the BEST PC games--CoD2, Prey, Quake 4, Oblivion, etc--at high end graphics quality, on a $300 Console, is NOT a negative.

Anyone who thinks it is, well, you are totally out of touch with the smaller, and less technically advanced PC market.

Since all launch titles have undoubtedly started their development on PCs (without devs knowing all final hardware specifications), they are all ports in the sense of the word. This of course applies to all game consoles, even Sony’s. The fact that the xbox 360 launch will have a couple of brand new big name titles from the PC realm, which will demand expensive pc rigs, only makes it more appealing and it seems like a smart move.

dukmahsik said:
sony loyalists: line up sucks
MS loyalists: line up rules

imagine that

Hopefully B3D doesn't get overrun by ******s. This is one of the few sites remaining that can actually hold mature and intelligent debates about games. That's not to say that all people who have opinions are ******s of course! I myself favor the Xbox 360 but I also respect the efforts and quality games that come from Sony and Nintendo.

Anyway, back on track, it's merely a personal opinion whether or not X360 has a great launch lineup. Although I would argue that Dreamcast had the best launch (personal preference/ Sonic fan here), PC "ports" or not, the X360 has an impressive list of software for launch. In the long run however, I think that the X360 probably has the most complete lineup I've seen in a long time. Almost every genre I can think of has been covered well.

Shifty Geezer said:
So you rate XB as a lesser console than PS2? For Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was ported to XB after PS2, as was PES. You may want to revise your definition a little ;)

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my definition.

What I was trying to point out was that in the context of this thread the term port does not really apply to the previously mentioned Xbox 360 titles, as it usually caries a negative connotation. Not that in every case a port would be a downgrade and as others pointed out it can sometimes actually make the original game better.

Holt

Acert93 said:
:LOL: At all the PC hate. I have barely got 10 posts in the first page and this thread is already spiraling!

How many people own gaming PCs? i.e. $1,000+ rigs
How much overlap is there between the console and PC market?

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

According to Valve's survey, note 6 of the top 8 GPUs (basically all the GPUs with more than 3% of the market):

9.6% of PC gamers have Radeon 9600 GPUs (SE, Pro, XT)
8.0% of PC gamers have FX5200 GPUs
6.5% of PC gamers have MX 400 series GPUs (MX440, MX420)
5.1% of PC gamers have Radeon 9200 series GPUs
4.8% of PC gamers have GeForce 4 series GPUs (Ti4200, Ti4600)
3.3% of PC gamers have GeForce 2 series GPUs

The top PC gamers (37.3% of gamers) have HORRIBLE GPUs!

The only *decent* GPUs with more than 3% of the market, according to the Valve Survey, are the 9800 series (128bit, 256bit, SE/Pro/XT) with 9.3% and the GeForce 6600 series (normal and GT) with 5.5%. And these cards are not even in the same class as Xenos. And remember, this survey is wonkey on the 9600/9800 series because of the vouchers.

The only GPU in the Xenos class is the GF 7800GTX--which a whopping .4%, meaning 4 out of 1,000 users, has!

Easy conclusion: There is not significant overlap in the audiance; and for most PC gamers the $300 Xbox 360 is going to play the game better than their rig and better than almost any sub-$1000 PC.

Sorry, being able to play the BEST PC games--CoD2, Prey, Quake 4, Oblivion, etc--at high end graphics quality, on a $300 Console, is NOT a negative.

Anyone who thinks it is, well, you are totally out of touch with the smaller, and less technically advanced PC market.

If your just talking about the GPU, those 37% dont need to buy a $1000 PC. They could go out and buy a $150 6600GT which will run oblivion just fine. That's what I intend to play it on.

And if Oblivion wont run on a midrange PC then Bethesda has really shot themselves in the foot.

seismologist said:
If your just talking about the GPU, those 37% dont need to buy a $1000 PC. They could go out and buy a $150 6600GT which will run oblivion just fine. That's what I intend to play it on.
Go read the charts. Those are the TOP 37%, meaning most common cards.

Or put another way, less than 20% of users have a 6600 card or better. So 80% of TOTAL users have cards WORSE than a 6600GT. Nevermind the fact less than .5% have a GPU in the class of Xenos.

And all of this is not counting RAM, CPU... or Spyware and other crap that bogs down a lot of people's PCs.

As for the 6600GT, I hardly believe that the 6600GT is going to have the same level of detail at the Xbox 360 version.

Just take a look at CoD2. It runs at 60fps on the Xbos 360 at 1280x720, with MSAA.

Xenos > 6600GT

No questions asked.

All things even, if someone was spending money to just play Oblivion a $300 Xbox 360 is going to provide a better experience than a $1,000 PC.

And if Oblivion wont run on a midrange PC then Bethesda has really shot themselves in the foot.
Do you even play PC games???

You can run all modern games on old GPUs. The catch is you have to turn down the detail.

Seeing people run BF2 on a Radeon 8500 or FarCry on a Ti4200 is not pretty, but they work and people get to enjoy the game.

Only the elite PC snobs get to enjoy them at the highest quality, and even then a options have to be turned off on a regular basis. e.g. I have an NV40 and I have had to turn off options on a regular basis or jump down a resolution to get 60fps in a lot of games. No AA in Doom 3 at 1600x1200, numerous features at medium in BF2 at 1280x960, etc.

PC software is not very optimized compared to a console game. They write to a broad number of features. If your HW can do it, fine; if not, tough luck--go get a faster card. On a console they can optimize for the specific architecture and features.

Until next spring, or even fall, when G80/R580 are released, desktop chips are going to be behind in many ways to RSX (a super overclocked G70) and Xenos.

Your talking high end GPUs, STANDARD, in a $300 box.

A very elite few have PCs that can compare to that range. To suggest someone with a 6600GT is going to get the "best" experience out of Oblivion is funny :LOL: Not sure if you have noticed, but the 6600GT struggles in games like Fear, CoD2, Doom 3, FarCry, etc... with higher resolutions/features/AA.

Nice midrange gaming card, but it is not some holy grail "top quality" device. And yes, I have one in the 2nd PC in my home ;)

I don't know what all the fuss about the launch on this machine is... it doesn't really matter because the X360 has until the PS3 release as it's "launch window" to get games right. Until then, it has no competition, except for the PS2/GC (which will continue to be competition until it's demise).

Add that to the fact that the best launches have traditionally ended up that machine doing the worst overall, and I'm going to say the X360 launch looks awesome, but no one will care two months afterwards, when more great games come out.

Back