A graceful Kutaragi: We're Finally Going To Launch It

Ken Kutaragi being very graceful after his demotion, and staying on with Sony, and looking forward to launching Cell

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/22/news_6120893.html
Kutaragi staying on at Sony
Calling himself "a leader," the passed-over PlayStation boss pledges continued allegiance to Sony.

Earlier this month, news out of Sony HQ in Japan saw Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi demoted from his position as executive deputy president. He was also discharged from his position as head of Sony's home electronics and semiconductor divisions.

Click Here.

For the first time since his demotion, the force behind Sony's gaming division spoke out about the changes at Sony. In an interview with the magazine Nikkei Business, Kutaragi revealed that the decisions surrounding his demotions were made without his knowledge--he said he was informed only the day before the public announcement.

Despite the downgrade, he sees the changes as being for the good of Sony.

"It's a major reshuffle, with seven out of eight executives resigning [from Sony's board], including myself. It's an intense and drastic change. But it feels good to have a whole group of executives resigning. Other companies can't do anything like this," Kutaragi said.

Commenting on Sony's new CEO, Howard Stringer (who replaces the outgoing Nobuyuki Idei), Kutaragi said, "I've known Howard since the launch of Sony Computer Entertainment; we eat together during our breaks whenever we meet. I was wondering who was going to become the next CEO, but I'm really glad that it's him. He works very hard. This will allow employees to focus on their jobs [without any worries]."

Industry watchers were stunned by Kutaragi's demotion, since he had long been considered a likely candidate to be Sony's next president. That role, however, was taken by Sony executive deputy president Ryoji Chubachi, who also took over Kutaragi's position as head of the semiconductor division.

Current CEO Nobuyuki Idei commented to the press during the announcements that Chubachi was chosen as the next president because "he is a good listener, and he can make appropriate decisions at appropriate times...and he's good at motivating young workers."

Commenting on Idei's statement, Kutaragi said, "One employee who overheard Idei-san at the press conference came to me saying that [Idei's comments] imply I'm a 'bad listener.' But I was able to laugh that off. It seems that people within SCE were worrying that I would leave [Sony and SCE]. When it was decided that I would stay, people said they were glad. And I'm honestly thankful about that."

Kutaragi went on to confirm that he has no current plans to leave Sony, especially since he wants to continue working on the Cell chip project, which is close to completion.

"We're finally going to launch it, after more than four years of major development. I have the responsibility [of following up on the Cell launch], and I also have dreams. First, it will be placed in game consoles. Then, in the near future, I want to use it in TVs and home servers. There's much I want to do. I have been leading SCE [up until now], and I will continue to be its leader," said Kutaragi. "I will remain at Sony. I'm still young. It's my goal to keep moving forward."

and, onward to PlayStation 4 ^__^

I am no investor or finantual person or even a Sony fan, but even I know this is the sort of thing that needed to be said. I see it as a stabalizing message. the last thing Sony / SCEI needs is to appear to be unravling just before PS3 debut, and especially with Xenon/Xbox2/XboxNext/360 gaining momentum.

"It's a major reshuffle, with seven out of eight executives resigning [from Sony's board], including myself. It's an intense and drastic change. But it feels good to have a whole group of executives resigning. Other companies can't do anything like this," Kutaragi said.
So who were the other 6...?

passerby said:
So who were the other 6...?
Bashful, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy and Sneezy?

I'm still very surprised that this happened to Kutaragi. To demote him and not even mention it ahead of time is rubbing salt into his wounds. What more could Sony want from the man?

Brimstone said:
I'm still very surprised that this happened to Kutaragi. To demote him and not even mention it ahead of time is rubbing salt into his wounds. What more could Sony want from the man?

At least he can stay focused

It may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise (for us, gamers), that KK focusses solely on PS division.

Deepak said:
It may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise, that KK focusses solely on PS division.

SCE is not the SCE that used to be in 1999-2000, do not your remember that all Sony's Semiconductors R&D groups (including SCE's one) have been consolidating into SSNC ?

We will see how much pull Ken Kutaragi will hav with SSNC and how much power will SCE have inside Sony.

It's a translation of the article I posted about before...
Brimstone said:
One of running speculation suggests that it's a strategy to reserve Kutaragi in a safe place. Kutaragi has been already wounded as the chief of the electronics division since he was appointed in 2003. It's a muddy place where PSX failed and no Sony electronics products can't turn it around to better figures in a short term. From now on, further restructuring/layoff in the electronics division or only 'dirty work' is expected for the Sony Group president for a while. Stringer is a foreigner and Chubachi is a relatively unknown person, so they can execute drastic measures without any internal bonds and can take animosity from those laid off without much trouble. Kutaragi has too few allies to endure this animosity as he's still an 'alien' to the core Sony Electronics.

Anyway he's still young (54). The success of the PS3/Cell is his last chance to climb up the corporate ladder so he'll try frantically.

Though KK sounds disappointed about not being promoted, how much of a blow can it be? He is Mr. PlayStation. It seems he's alwaysbeen driven by PlayStation. Promotion would take him away from that, surely, so he was no longer in control. Would he be happy to leave his baby in the hands of someone else? What would he have brought to Sony overall if he was president? Maybe a more uniform strategy, incorporating his Cell dreams, but I think Howard wants the same.

Shifty Geezer said:
Though KK sounds disappointed about not being promoted, how much of a blow can it be? He is Mr. PlayStation. It seems he's alwaysbeen driven by PlayStation. Promotion would take him away from that, surely, so he was no longer in control. Would he be happy to leave his baby in the hands of someone else? What would he have brought to Sony overall if he was president? Maybe a more uniform strategy, incorporating his Cell dreams, but I think Howard wants the same.

He was still going to lead SCE: Stringer, for example, is not leaving Sony America to anyone, he will keep leading it.

not that it matters, but, I had a bitch of a time getting the title of this thread right. everytime i posted it at first, i got the & at the end, where i wanted a " end quote. even when i deleted the thread and made it again, so, i had to take out the quotes. what a pain.

Brimstone said:

Haven't worked for a Japanese company have ya?! ;)

SCE is not the SCE that used to be in 1999-2000, do not your remember that all Sony's Semiconductors R&D groups (including SCE's one) have been consolidating into SSNC ?

Keep in mind that that hasn't happened overnight... There's still a lot of change in progress... SSNC is still a nebulous/non-existent entity...

archie4oz said:
Brimstone said:

Haven't worked for a Japanese company have ya?! ;)

Keep in mind that that hasn't happened overnight... There's still a lot of change in progress... SSNC is still a nebulous/non-existent entity...

Well, SCE is now a wholly owned subsidiary... does it have its independent R&D budget as it was last year before it got integrated ?

Still, this does not change the fact that consolidation of Semiconductor R&D groups into SSNC will happen: it has yet to complete, but it will compete sooner or later or do you disagree with that ?

On a slightly related note, this documentary book about the original PlayStation, Revolutionaries at Sony: The Making of the Sony Playstation and The Visionaries Who Conquered The World of Video Games by Reiji Asakura, is worth a quick read. In the old days of Sony, digital engineers such as Kutaragi were positioned far under analogue engineers, and CD-I people in Sony had had a grudge against PlayStation (CD-ROM).

Back