The deciding factor of high end graphics card purchase?

The deciding factor of high end graphics card purchase for me, this round, is or was:

• Speed (benchmark results)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Image quality (filtering, 2d etc)

• Compatibility (shader model support)

• Price (Just get the best deal)

• Brand loyalty ( I favor company X over company Y)

• Software (driver, game/software bundle)

• other

• Total voters

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
When you bought / will buy your current/next graphics card of this current high end product cycle, which factor was/will be the deciding one?

Assuming it's a card among the high end
(6800 GT, Ultra ; X800 XT(PE), pro)

For me, it was the Availability. I considered all other factors quite close to equal.

For me it's that I need dual head full screen 3D gaming. So ATI isn't an option.

Availability was a biggy for me since my old card was dying and I needed it now, but I didn't have too much problems finding ones of either maker using that criteria.

Price was an issue for a bit, but once I got over $300 it was a bit of a moot point. The difference between the 6800 GT and the X800 pro vivo I got was less than $40us.

Software, now software was the nutcrusher for me. I actually had filled out an order for a GT and was ready to hit the "send order" button, but I hesitated. I kept thinking of them like clockwork monthly ATi driver updates and nVidia's "whenever we feel like it" attitude towards drivers, and I cancelled my GT and hunted down an X800 pro vivo.

No regrets, I'm a very happy camper. 8)

Availability is pretty low on my list since it's only a graphics card and I can always do other things with my life while waiting on a reasonable deal to come out.

Also several of your options are not mutually exclusive - for me it's $$ per fps @ high IQ. But in general if both offerings have similar levels of speed then IQ wins out every time.

I voted price but really its a combination of things. This round I went with price as the deciding factor because the cards are pretty evenly matched, unlike last round.

I was actually going to wait this round out with my 9800XT but I couldn't resist the Bestbuy $299 GT deal. That made it a no brainer for me. :)

Availability, definitely availability. I was writing a Gigabyte 6800 Ultra review and was all happy with it till I checked Newegg, Pricewatch and a few other online sites. There were 10 stores that carried the card but none in stock :(

Richteralan said:
But i voted price.

After all it's very expensive for a college student....:/

hehe tell me about it .

athlon 64 3000+

xp120 heat sink

1 gig of ddr 500 ram

120 gig sata 8 meg cash drive

70gig raptor sata 10k rpm drive

x800xt pe

college

Mendel said:
When you bought / will buy your current/next graphics card of this current high end product cycle, which factor was/will be the deciding one?
Well, there were three things that led me to the card I ordered yesterday:

1) dual DVI outs - I need them, period. (currently running a mixed setup VGA/DVI on a 9600XT has only strengthend the importance of this feature.)

2) price - 500 Euros incl. shipping max.

3) availability - Which is of course a much more important point than #3 would suggest, at least with this GPU generation.

The fact that my Ti4600 died last week, that I don't know when its replacement will arrive and that I'm currently on a lended card made availability the deciding factor for me to yesterday order a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample, running Ultra speeds w/ ExperTool, that was in stock at a shop for 473 Euros shipped.

cu

incurable

I voted image quality...... and, BTW, I own both a 6800GT and a X800Pro. So far, while the GT is faster on benchmarks, the difference in games seems to be non existant* - as far as speed goes. With everything set to highest quality - 16X AF on both, 4X FSAA on GT and 6X FSAA w or wo/temporal on the Pro - the X800 has percievibly better quality.....

*the only exception is DOOM III, of course.

Price and IQ are a biggie, but since they seem to be pretty evenly matched this generation in those departments, I voted drivers. NVIDIA's drivers are still light years beyond ATI's drivers (ATI's drivers STILL DON'T HAVE APP PROFILES)... and they work under Linux, Big plus.

The Baron said:
Price and IQ are a biggie, but since they seem to be pretty evenly matched this generation in those departments, I voted drivers. NVIDIA's drivers are still light years beyond ATI's drivers (ATI's drivers STILL DON'T HAVE APP PROFILES)... and they work under Linux, Big plus.
Funny thing? It came down to the same thing for me and I went ATi for drivers.

On linux you are correct from my understanding, but I don't use linux yet so I don't know; but I do know when to expect the next set of Catalysts and their fixes/improvements....on the nVidia side it's just too bloody unpredictable for me.

Besides, I just don't trust them on drivers and I really think ATi is actually ahead on the D3D side of things.

jvd said:
Richteralan said:
But i voted price.

After all it's very expensive for a college student....:/

hehe tell me about it .

athlon 64 3000+

xp120 heat sink

1 gig of ddr 500 ram

120 gig sata 8 meg cash drive

70gig raptor sata 10k rpm drive

x800xt pe

college

you don't have to show off. :LOL:

im really fussy :LOL: , i just dont like the style of the ati control panel, if u can even call it that,

though with that new look which is coming its gonna be a even match with nvidia and ati especially now that there evenly price\performance.

To all of you that think the IQ is close.....you've not used an X800 at 6XFSAA w/ temporal active. I'm telling you the difference is not small......

martrox said:
To all of you that think the IQ is close.....you've not used an X800 at 6XFSAA w/ temporal active. I'm telling you the difference is not small......

I think everyone read your previous post martrox but thanks for the reminder :LOL:

Back