Backham affair - where are we heading?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I am watching with shock the way Beckham affair has unfolded. And this is not the first time this has happened. I wonder if all westerners care for is only money and fame, damn with my reputation, privacy, dignity, honor. Even if we presume that Beckham did sleep with these women and it is certain that he did not force anyone, why are these women coming out one by one with different stories? His former PA charges some hundred thousand dollors for an interview and I am sure that she is going to write a book also, I mean one can stoop so low to make money is unbelievable. And this not the first case and certainly not the last one. Where is western society heading for?

May be you all could share your thought and views.

Deepak said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Who is he, and why should I care?

I am not bothered about Beckham what I am saying is why every walk of our life has become so money centric?

Well, every walk of life isn't.

Some people are, and they just find new (and more insulting) ways to "scam" people out of their money. That being said, any "celebrity" screwing around today is pretty much begging for someone to try and blackmail him / her.

In other words, yes, people trying to make money off something like this is pretty sad...but then, what did he expect?

Joe DeFuria said:
Who is he, and why should I care?

He's englands FOOTball team captain, and as such a "national hero" to millions.. I gotta say I'm with deepak, and the sad thing is the majority of britain probaby doesnt wan't to believe this stuff but buys it because tis juicy beckham gossip. I loathe all forms of gossip equally, except celeb gossip which is more hated than others.

sytaylor said:
He's englands FOOTball team captain, and as such a "national hero" to millions..

That begs the question: why is someone who plays a game considered a national hero...and shouldn't the fact that he's screwing around on his wife rightly impact that image?

(This is, of course, going on the assumption that he is screwing around.)

Yes, gossip is bad and it sucks. It's actually a good time to take stock in the gossip we all partake in spreading about others. Not celebrities...but our friends, co-workers, spouses, etc.

At the same time, there's something wrong with putting someone up on a pedestal because they can play a game, sing a song, or act on screen. Being popular does not a hero make...it's what you do with your popularity.

Deepak said:
I am watching with shock the way Beckham affair has unfolded. And this is not the first time this has happened. I wonder if all westerners care for is only money and fame, damn with my reputation, privacy, dignity, honor. Even if we presume that Beckham did sleep with these women and it is certain that he did not force anyone, why are these women coming out one by one with different stories? His former PA charges some hundred thousand dollors for an interview and I am sure that she is going to write a book also, I mean one can stoop so low to make money is unbelievable. And this not the first case and certainly not the last one. Where is western society heading for?

May be you all could share your thought and views.

Sounds some what familiar to a number of our sports stars. It seems women enjoy pulling the sexual harassment card and exploiting these types of men.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap about what Beckham gets up to in his private life. If he wants to shag groupies or other women who throw themselves at him he should expect these kind of stories to come out. We know he's not the sharpest pencil in the case in the first place but surely he can't be that daft.

I don't even feel that sorry for his wife (the former "Posh" Spice from the Spice Girls, for those who don't know) as she's utterly career-obsessed and spends very little time with him. Hopefully the kids won't suffer because of their parents' inadequacies.

As a footballer, Beckham's been doing pretty well at Real Madrid this season and I, for one, am hoping he does well as Captain of England this summer! ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
sytaylor said:
He's englands FOOTball team captain, and as such a "national hero" to millions..

That begs the question: why is someone who plays a game considered a national hero...

He's the captain of england for one, that is every man and boy's dream more or less. It doesn't get any better than that, and secondly he potrays what the english see themself as, not what the world does. He's respectable, modern and a family man... I'm pretty certain his name will be cleared in due time.

Joe DeFuria said:
sytaylor said:

That begs the question: why is someone who plays a game considered a national hero...and shouldn't the fact that he's screwing around on his wife rightly impact that image?

to the first part.. he is a hero because he plays the national game... representing his nation on a metaphorical battlefield and being one of the best players for england...

to the second.. yes it rightly should impact his image... he makes vast quantities of money from endorsements based on him as a marketible commodity... it is Becks duty to ensure his image is un-sullied much like Kobe's here in the states...

sytaylor said:
He's the captain of england for one, that is every man and boy's dream more or less. It doesn't get any better than that, and secondly he potrays what the english see themself as, not what the world does. He's respectable, modern and a family man... I'm pretty certain his name will be cleared in due time.

major generalisation there. Theres plenty of men and boys who don't want to be captain of england nor see ourselves as anything like beckham.

Don't all sports-hero's screw around?

Aren't thay always on the road, trying to win a new cup, and have almost no time for there family?

What i find sad is that Posh&Becks have become THE UK symbol for the world. The new Royal Family. The sad part is that we're talking about a thick footballer and a totally talentless "singer" (using the term VERY loosely here)... He might be the hottest guy ever to kick a ball, but come on...

Mariner said:
If he wants to shag groupies or other women who throw themselves at him he should expect these kind of stories to come out.
and also to get herpes :oops: :LOL:

Back