Its not just me, games used to be better

Fixed Unreal general protection fault

Game does not launch on Windows 10
Mandatory ASLR prevents game from running
Open Windows Defender.
In App & browser control, open Exploit protection settings.
In Program settings, add an exception for Unreal.exe.
Disable "Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR) in addition to DEP".

Naughty Dog used to create new IPs every gen. What did we get this gen? Remasters, remakes and cancelled projects.

True and totally baffling. What have they been doing the last 4 years?? Incomniac released 3 full and amazing games, plus a remaster, in this time.

I would say it's a mix of our age and how games evolved. Games were simpler and shorter.

Many Games are unnecessary larger, demand a lot more hours and are full of fillers that are not fun, in order to extend length.

Personally I dont think my age has much to do with it, I can still lose myself in a game when I play a good one.

Every other game today is either open world and or filled with crafting, collecting, upgrading, different ammo types, etc. Not that I dont enjoy a good open world game, but theres a shortage of good linear action/adventure games. Much of the time in todays games are spent doing chores that arent fun and I often find myself bored. I think i read a review of AC3 where the reviewer wrote something like it was like Ubisoft thought that if you took something booring, like collecting feathers, and had the player do it 200 times it would somehow be fun.

I do get the feeling games used to be designed to be fun, by gamers. Todays games are designed to articially extend the playing time. Also they are more complicated without any good reason. FC6 has so much crap going on.

I started replaying gears 3, and its sooo good. Just one fun action sequence with barealy any crap inbetween. Like space marine 2. I played gears 4 recently, and there it seems they tried to prolong the game by making every enemie a bullet sponge.

There must be a market for old school games like this? Space marine 2 and wukong have sold like crazy.

Whole video is great, espacially shooting glowing lamps at 0.50.

Fixed Unreal general protection fault

Game does not launch on Windows 10
Mandatory ASLR prevents game from running
Open Windows Defender.
In App & browser control, open Exploit protection settings.
In Program settings, add an exception for Unreal.exe.
Disable "Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR) in addition to DEP".
Install the base game then grab the latest appropriate patch from here, I didn't have to tweak or adjust anything it just fired up. Good patch!

I still made a backup of Unreal.ini and went through it and played with it a bit after I got it running. It was a beautifully nostalgic experience and showed me that for all the UT engine has improved it's still sort of the same. :love:

That's still only one game. So weird. Then again I don't know how big ND are compared to Insomniac.
Naughty Dog were a 'one title' developer up until fairly recently. They did realize that continuing like that was unsustainable with increasing lengths of game development, and so expanded a bit and then split into multiple projects. The cancelled Factions live service game was absolutely one of their big AAA projects meant to release in 2023-2024. The TLOU1 remake was another project, reportedly worked on heavily by newer hires to get them some experience.

It's also a poorly kept secret that TLOU3 has been in the works for a little bit, though we dont really know at what stage. And there's strong rumors they are indeed working on a new IP of some sort, which again, we know nothing about its development progress or whether it's expected before TLOU3 or after. But I think there's a reasonable chance we'll get both this generation.

They worked on TLOU and Uncharted 3 in parallel.
Fair enough yea. 'Mostly' a one title developer, I should say. Like many, there'd be a slow switch and overlap with projects coming to a close and getting preproduction rolling with a new one and all that, of course.

Back