What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

13 million sales for Ghosts, versus 6 million for Second Son and 2 million for Sly?

Also, they wanted to do something new. And they brought something new and valuable to gamers. I'd hate to be tied to past glories forever and not allowed to try something new!

Yes, was just being rhetorical.

Unless it's some reimagining that somehow grabs gamers' attention, neither Infamous or Sly are coming back.

You could argue that Infamous is a C tier superhero franchise in a world overloaded with superhero franchises. It's not something for Sony to hang a hat on.

Do you have any actual data to back this statement?

The Insomniac Hacks had plenty of various material in there, if I recall correctly, a main source being how "they needed to sell 7.5 Million Units at Full Price to break even". Granted that is not broken down specifically to Marvel License fees. The game's budget was $315 Million, where any game would be hard pressed to become profitable at those obscene levels.

The leak showed that $109 million was the cost of the license for Spiderman with all kind of abusive, shocking royalties and conditions. It's so unsustainable it could litteraly kill the studio profitability with a few failures and the future of many developers. We can already see a decrease of quality in SM2 anyways. The pressure must be immense for the studio. Also at some point Sony will be forced to release Spiderman on Xbox like it was forced to do with MLB (that's my prediction). That IP is not theirs and they only rent it. They are slave to Marvels.

And they ported the game on their biggest competitor anyways: Steam. So Sony take all the risks on and Gabe / Nvidia rake the profits. So bad strategy. This is something Nintendo would never do.

Obviously everything has been taken down by Sony but that old thread should give you some numbers.

Granted that is not broken down specifically to Marvel License fees. The game's budget was $315 Million, where any game would be hard pressed to become profitable at those obscene levels.

The leak showed that $109 million was the cost of the license for Spiderman with all kind of abusive, shocking royalties and conditions.
None of their IP can make so much money, including Rarchet and Clank.

They especially made a lot of money from Miles expansion.

And Marvel games are very important to push up hardware sales. This is why they have bought more Marvel licenses including X men.

Post modernists used to tell people to "wake up" and see the world as a power struggle between social groups. That's where the term "woke" originated from.

It's probably overused now by some people who label everything they don't agree with as woke.

Btw, it's very simplistic to think that people who are against viewing the world that way are either racist or narrow minded. Some are, but I know plenty of people who were cheering on Sigorney Weaver in Alien or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 or Lara Croft, or Eowyn in Return of the King 20-40 years ago who are sick of the virtue signalling and lecturing Disney, Marvel and many other studios and game studios are engaging in.

Sony needs to stop trying to tick boxes on the social justice chart and instead make some decent games on a reasonable budget.

Btw, I agree that blaming everything on wokeness is lazy and inaccurate. Sometimes games are just bad and sometimes franchises are so powerful that people are willing to ignore their reservations about the politics of their favourite game.

Last edited:
Btw, it's very simplistic to think that people who are against viewing the world that way are either racist or narrow minded. Some are, but I know plenty of people who were cheering on Sigorney Weaver in Alien or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 or Lara Croft, or Eowyn in Return of the King 20-40 years ago who are sick of the virtue signalling and lecturing Disney, Marvel and many other studios and game studios are engaging in.
Yep, people like their strong female leads, but only if they're very sparing and preferably hot. But if like 20% of movies or games coming out every year have strong female leads, then it's just shoving it down our throats and we cant take it anymore. We need to cut that down to like 5% or so, and any movie that isn't absolutely exceptional with them, we'll claim is complete trash whose fault is primarily having such a female/minority lead in the first place. As we all know, movies are always good when they have male leads.

The Insomniac Hacks had plenty of various material in there, if I recall correctly, a main source being how "they needed to sell 7.5 Million Units at Full Price to break even". Granted that is not broken down specifically to Marvel License fees. The game's budget was $315 Million, where any game would be hard pressed to become profitable at those obscene levels.
Spiderman2 seems have sold 11 million copies. R&C Rift Apart does not seem to have sold 4 million.

It seems like the Spider Man license is worth it.

Yep, people like their strong female leads, but only if they're very sparing and preferably hot. But if like 20% of movies or games coming out every year have strong female leads, then it's just shoving it down our throats and we cant take it anymore. We need to cut that down to like 5% or so, and any movie that isn't absolutely exceptional with them, we'll claim is complete trash whose fault is primarily having such a female/minority lead in the first place. As we all know, movies are always good when they have male leads.
People always prefer an ideal version for a protagonist and I don't agree that it has anything to do with people wanting sexy looking women. People just want authentic depictions and choices, not forced just to satisfy a politically correct checkbox.

Sygurney Weaver was a masculine looking woman. Not your typical sex bomb. Yet we loved her in the Alien movies

We loved Linda Hamilton in Terminator even though she wasn't the sexy hot shot woman. She was also pretty masculine in that movie. We loved the movie and her.

Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger on the other hand, had the ultimate masculine ideal pop culture looks in Rambo and Conan.

I would say it is the opposite that happens. A lot of times they just make bad movies with women who are depicted in BS silly ways, only to have groups projecting their ideologies and saying that it's because they had a female protagonist that people hated the movies. No. The movies just sucked.

Why would we want weird looking, fat mentally challenged protagonists in an action game anyways whether it's male or female?

People always prefer an ideal version for a protagonist and I don't agree that it has anything to do with people wanting sexy looking women. People just want authentic depictions and choices, not forced just to satisfy a politically correct checkbox.

Sygurney Weaver was a masculine looking woman. Not your typical sex bomb. Yet we loved her in the Alien movies

We loved Linda Hamilton in Terminator even though she wasn't the sexy hot shot woman. She was also pretty masculine in that movie. We loved the movie and her.

Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger on the other hand, had the ultimate masculine ideal pop culture looks in Rambo and Conan.

I would say it is the opposite that happens. A lot of times they just make bad movies with women who are depicted in BS silly ways, only to have groups projecting their ideologies and saying that it's because they had a female protagonist that people hated the movies. No. The movies just sucked.

Why would we want weird looking, fat mentally challenged protagonists in an action game anyways whether it's male or female?
Tons of these media pieces absolutely have 'idealized versions' of a protagonist and it's still not enough. And that's ignoring what we should expect from some 'ideal' protagonist. Media has given male protagonists all ranges of emotional capacity and abilities over the years, but women have to be pigeonholed and cant allow themselves to have any 'feminine' aspects(other than being attractive, of course).

It's ridiculous. And your last sentence really hits home everything I'm saying, and completely invalidates basically everything you said prior. Like most of y'all, you're very dishonest about your talking points, but what you really think always comes out eventually. You think media should be dominated by white men, and while you'll 'allow' a small percentage of media to buck this norm, y'all get extremely upset when media more regularly offer representation of others. It's like the "I'm not racist cuz I have a black friend" argument. You allow exceptions, so long as they stay a small minority. "One of the good ones".

Tons of these media pieces absolutely have 'idealized versions' of a protagonist and it's still not enough. And that's ignoring what we should expect from some 'ideal' protagonist. Media has given male protagonists all ranges of emotional capacity and abilities over the years, but women have to be pigeonholed and cant allow themselves to have any 'feminine' aspects(other than being attractive, of course).

It's ridiculous. And your last sentence really hits home everything I'm saying, and completely invalidates basically everything you said prior. Like most of y'all, you're very dishonest about your talking points, but what you really think always comes out eventually. You think media should be dominated by white men, and while you'll 'allow' a small percentage of media to buck this norm, y'all get extremely upset when media more regularly offer representation of others. It's like the "I'm not racist cuz I have a black friend" argument. You allow exceptions, so long as they stay a small minority. "One of the good ones".

I don't think anything. This is exactly the problem with this "woke" culture. You have no clue about me. Yet I am receiving generalizations, accusations, judgements, projections and assumptions with nothing to back it up.

Most people not being attracted to figures that appear unhealthy or crippled has NOTHING to do with being white, racist or sexist. If you belong to any of these, this is life and it is hard unfortunately and you should deal with it instead of labeling and complaining. Human nature by majority will ALWAYS lean towards certain characteristics regarding attraction and expecting or forcing identical allocation of preferences in every possible characteristic is unrealistic and immature.

Edit: Also people are pretty much open to both non ideal looks in good movies for both males and females if the context is right.

It's almost like complaining why a biographical movie of an Olympic athlete doesn't depict a far dude playing the role, or why they didn't choose a black dude to play the role of the Greek Achilles. Oh wait. That happened. Is like putting a white blue eyed dude to play the role of Martin Luther King.

Last edited:
I don't think anything. This is exactly the problem with this "woke" culture. You have no clue about me. Yet I am receiving generalizations, accusations, judgements, projections and assumptions with nothing to back it up.

Most people not being attracted to figures that appear unhealthy or crippled has NOTHING to do with being white, racist or sexist. If you belong to any of these, this is life and it is hard unfortunately and you should deal with it instead of labeling and complaining. Human nature by majority will ALWAYS lean towards certain characteristics regarding attraction and expecting or forcing identical allocation of preferences in every possible characteristic is unrealistic and immature.

Edit: Also people are pretty much open to both non ideal looks in good movies for both males and females if the context is right.

It's almost like complaining why a biographical movie of an Olympic athlete doesn't depict a far dude playing the role, or why they didn't choose a black dude to play the role of the Greek Achilles. Oh wait. That happened. Is like putting a white blue eyed dude to play the role of Martin Luther King.
You're complaining about 'woke' culture simply cuz I'm disagreeing with you about things and the cultural relevance of this all. You couldn't prove my point more effectively.

You think I dont know anything about you. You want us to think you're possibly this worldly, nuanced, reasonable person who simply has these super rational ideas that other people aren't listening to. lol

But then your immediate draw up of an example is 'unhealthy or crippled' people and how people dont find them attractive. I mean, jesus christ dude. Do I really need to spend more time and words to explain the problem here?

You guys always give yourselves away in any kind of dissection. I'm just surprised you were willing to openly give yourself away so quickly. lol

Not really. The reason why Sarah Connor is a good character and modern Captain Marvel is a bad character is that Sarah is not a feminist caricature and Cpt. Marvel is. It's just bad writing driven by agenda. Even the directors at Disney are telling you it's agenda driven. This isn't a secret.

I understand you're a really open person and seem to be attracted by post-modern ideas and that's your prerogative, but some people don't agree with those ideas and it's not always bigotry.

Sony should be careful not to let politics get in the way of their business. Many are tired of the lectures and virtue signalling so many entertainment companies are engaged in.

They should probably acquire Ubisoft and sort them out, but seem to have lost their way lately with such a slow publishing cycle. Does Naughty Dog even make new games anymore?

You're complaining about 'woke' culture simply cuz I'm disagreeing with you about things and the cultural relevance of this all. You couldn't prove my point more effectively.

You think I dont know anything about you. You want us to think you're possibly this worldly, nuanced, reasonable person who simply has these super rational ideas that other people aren't listening to. lol

But then your immediate draw up of an example is 'unhealthy or crippled' people and how people dont find them attractive. I mean, jesus christ dude. Do I really need to spend more time and words to explain the problem here?

You guys always give yourselves away in any kind of dissection. I'm just surprised you were willing to openly give yourself away so quickly. lol
Literally WTF

Guys. We’ve been hoping there would be self moderation here on this. I request of our members to just stop on continuing this topic any further or continue it in RSPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spiderman2 seems have sold 11 million copies. R&C Rift Apart does not seem to have sold 4 million.

It seems like the Spider Man license is worth it.
To sell more copies. I don't think that the main goal of a corporation like Sony, neither the goal of their shareholders.

Back