ARM Speculation Thread

From what I know from the internet, Imagination had pretty good tech in the GPU domain, wonder why ARM did not buy a fellow country company to boost their portfolio considering their CPU power all the mobiles.

From what I know from the internet, Imagination had pretty good tech in the GPU domain, wonder why ARM did not buy a fellow country company to boost their portfolio considering their CPU power all the mobiles.
I don't think there was ever a good opportunity. Before 2016 any attempt by ARM to acquire Imagination likely would have been pre-empted by Apple outbidding ARM. During 2016 ARM was handling two acquisitions and its own acquisition by SoftBank. And the next year Canyon Bridge acquired Imagination.

I don't think there was ever a good opportunity. Before 2016 any attempt by ARM to acquire Imagination likely would have been pre-empted by Apple outbidding ARM. During 2016 ARM was handling two acquisitions and its own acquisition by SoftBank. And the next year Canyon Bridge acquired Imagination.
Ok , then maybe Samsung should have tried to acquire the company as they are in direct competition with Apple and are now licensing tech from AMD.
Or maybe AMD should have acquired it, as Imagination to my understanding has good IP w.r.t to ray tracing , though actual h/w is almost non-existent on this front.

All in all , I found the eventual owner of Imagination to be quite weird as it was none of the estd. tech companies.

Ok , then maybe Samsung should have tried to acquire the company as they are in direct competition with Apple and are now licensing tech from AMD.
Or maybe AMD should have acquired it, as Imagination to my understanding has good IP w.r.t to ray tracing , though actual h/w is almost non-existent on this front.

All in all , I found the eventual owner of Imagination to be quite weird as it was none of the estd. tech companies.
I don't think AMD considered ray tracing to be a priority before they were informed about DXR, which was probably too late for them to grab Imagination before Canyon Bridge. Some would even argue they didn't take ray tracing seriously before the past few years. Imagination's acquisition by a Chinese private equity firm is no weirder than ARM's acquisition by a Japanese investment holding company.

I don't think AMD considered ray tracing to be a priority before they were informed about DXR, which was probably too late for them to grab Imagination before Canyon Bridge. Some would even argue they didn't take ray tracing seriously before the past few years. Imagination's acquisition by a Chinese private equity firm is no weirder than ARM's acquisition by a Japanese investment holding company.
They weren't "informed about DXR", they're active part of DirectX development just like NVIDIA, Qualcomm and probably many others. Of course someone had the idea first, but all of them become aware of it as soon they tell MS about their idea.

Back