Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This game was never meant to be 60fps. Yes, I'm aware the PS5 has a 60fps mode which targets that, but having a bunch of 30fps encoded video cutscenes and 30fps real-time cutscenes swapping back and forth between 30 and 60fps is jarring. What's worse here is that if you don't lock the fps to 30 via the in-game setting, you get a stutter every time a cutscene starts. I also noticed some of the video cutscenes will stutter as the game loads in the background.

I really hate when games do that. The entire god damn point of the loading in the background while the video is playing is to be transparent to the player that it's loading... well, not here..

If I lock the game to 30fps, it's very consistent and there's few noticeable stutters... but I really just hope this is a case of the demo not having great shader pre-compilation coverage.. but I doubt it. I also hope the CBU3 is receptive to feedback and interacts with their customers while attempting to improve this.

I wont even bother going into the fact that the game doesn't support ultrawide (right, like who are we kidding, they aren't going to re-render all these cutscenes in ultrawide at 60fps for PC players.... DLSS also seems broken. Game is quite soft/blurry considering the resolutions I was pushing it at.

Hopefully they can improve this stuff, because other than that I did quite enjoy the demo and want to play the full game.

Hopefully they can improve this stuff, because other than that I did quite enjoy the demo and want to play the full game.

Just be aware that The game switches production quality multiple times after you passed the early parts.

The change to lower production quality is gradual enough tho. So you may get a smooth transition and didn't feel the quality drop as jarring.

Especially on pc, as it would no longer use variable graphics settings quality like on ps5. On ps5, some places (usually heavier) will have missing vfx (shadows, etc.)

anybody know the screenshot button?
the game have an option to change the screenshot file format PNG JPG JPG XR etc

but how to take the screenshot? the photo mode doesnt have screenshot button

so they used the demo as public beta test, interesting.

I think this was discussed on Digital Foundry. It's a double edged blade because a demo is, in a sense, the first impression. If a demo does not perform very well, people might have the impression that the game performs badly. On the other hand, if a demo is clearly marked as "also a form of public beta testing" I think it's not a bad idea.

I think this was discussed on Digital Foundry. It's a double edged blade because a demo is, in a sense, the first impression. If a demo does not perform very well, people might have the impression that the game performs badly. On the other hand, if a demo is clearly marked as "also a form of public beta testing" I think it's not a bad idea.

Yeah, if they released the demo clearly as a beta, it would be much better I think.

Like how DICE used to do demo beta thingy with Battlefield series

Someone on another forum said that certain cutscenes in the PC version are full FMV, whereas on the PS5 they were realtime hybrid (aka mixing real-time with CG composited effects and so on)... but I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm almost certain the same cutscenes in the PS5 version are also full FMVs. The "hybrid" concept is just them rendering what they could in real-time, and compositing the visual effects and lighting and then pre-rendering both out together.. and I think some people are confused thinking that the real-time part is running in real-time on the hardware while the CG stuff overlaps it.

image.png

Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps @Dictator or @oliemack could help me out with this one?

Last edited:
Someone on another forum said that certain cutscenes in the PC version are full FMV, whereas on the PS5 they were realtime hybrid (aka mixing real-time with CG composited effects and so on)... but I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm almost certain the same cutscenes in the PS5 version are also full FMVs. The "hybrid" concept is just them rendering what they could in real-time, and compositing the visual effects and lighting and then pre-rendering both out together.. and I think some people are confused thinking that the real-time part is running in real-time on the hardware while the CG stuff overlaps it.

image.png

Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps @Dictator or @oliemack could help me out with this one?

If have power plug meter, probably can be monitored via that side channel?

If those cutscenes are eating low power, then they are prerendered?

image.png

I would strongly suspect that the compositing is done offline and they are full FMVs but I haven't looked at it in depth. One giveaway to me, without really closely looking at the footage, is that the scale and image quality in sequences with offline CG elements is much improved over the cinematics that are obviously real-time.

I wondered how they were going to to gameplay -> real-time cutscenes -> gameplay on PC without PS5 ultra fast I/O. I guess they found a way: Just load the next level during the FMV the way it's done since PS3!

Of course, going from the cutscenes to gameplay and back is only possible thanks to the SSD (which Takai had praised last year, as well). “The way that the game seamlessly flows between resource-intensive gameplay to equally intensive cutscenes and back again wouldn’t be possible if it wasn’t for the speed of the SSD.”

I wondered how they were going to to gameplay -> real-time cutscenes -> gameplay on PC without PS5 ultra fast I/O. I guess they found a way: Just load the next level during the FMV the way it's done since PS3!

SSD is a requirement on PC as far as I can see.

SSD is a requirement on PC as far as I can see.
They are probably using fast I/O elsewhere but they are pushing I/O the most in cutscenes (and between them), according to their own interview. It probably would have been too complex to do those real-time on PC and would have likely caused stutters or actually loading pauses. Not many PCs can do up to 20GB/s with their SSD.

Anyways it was really pointless from them in the first place to spend so many energy at doing real-time cutscenes while using just-in-time data from I/O. They should have done that using FMV in the first place and spend more time on the quality of game like the gameplay or the quality of reconstruction. They really used the super fast SSD like a gimmick in the useless parts of the game: the cutscenes.

Last edited:

Just like R&C, Spiderman, Forspoken, Returnal, etc that are only possible on PS5 thanks to the magical SSD, right?

You can do a quick Google search and see that in FFXVI some cutscenes are pre-rendered on PS5 too.

lol... they're the exact same...

I already made a video and posted it here about how fast the game loads on PC...

And let's not forget SquareEnix's other game, Forspoken, loads as fast or faster on PC than it does on PS5.

Pretty heavy even though the visuals don’t justify it. The 4090 can’t do 4K 60 at max settings.

Also interesting note on vram usage:

Our benchmarks confirm that even at 4K with 8 GB there is no VRAM bottleneck in actual gameplay—the RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB runs at virtually the same FPS as the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB. However, on AMD things are different. We can clearly see that RX 7600 XT and RX 5700 XT, our only 8 GB AMD cards, clearly fall behind the rest of the pack at 4K. I suspect that this has to do with how AMD manages VRAM, vs what NVIDIA does.

Back