Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2024]

Xbox had a 128-bit memory bus, so increasing memory wouldn't have changed bandwidth.

IIRC, Xbox used DDR200, while DDR266 and DDR333 were available (but more expensive), so more bandwidth was possible but obviously not deemed worth the cost.
those were the days... I purchased my OG Xbox in early 2005 and I miss the E3 now that we have a very toned down Summer Game Fest 2024, and also miss the happiness of those days, like in this 2 minute video....

those were the days... I purchased my OG Xbox in early 2005 and I miss the E3 now that we have a very toned down Summer Game Fest 2024, and also miss the happiness of those days, like in this 2 minute video....

(I still have my GC, RGB Scart cable and copy of Twilight Princess!)

Doom 1 + Doom 2 enhanced. I had both on PC gamepass -I mean, owned cos I purchased them time ago- and this new version is free of charge for those who got the game already.

Back in the day -1997 iirc- I had TNT: Evolution and The Plutonia Experiment, and I still have the CD at home.

Can't wait to test the new sound (or use the classic MIDI, etc) and the native in-game mod support. Sounds like the definitive version of Doom.

GUeMM-1WoAAv9jW
[/I]

GUeMPskWsAAvfeE

Last edited:
played the initial levels of the first campaign of the original Doom 1 today on a gamepad. This remaster is pretty good. I still remember most of the secrets of those levels. The game on "Normal" difficulty mode is doable, but not a piece of cake for sure. Maybe I am going to set it to easy. TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment were too difficult even then, at my absolute Doom peak -on the 4th difficulty level, but still-, so maybe I am going to set those to Easy. I loved the new textures those mods added at the time.

haven't watched the entire video yet, but the wad based on Marble Hill (Sonic) is really cute.

Considering that the original wasn't using polygons, how does Ray Tracing work on this version? Was it converted to normal polygons?

Edit: oh seems like it. Did someone actually went through the whole game and recreated it in 3D???

As older consoles now have HDMI mods, I would love to see a DF spin off that revisits PS2, GC and Xbox comparisons as they would be a lot more interesting then current machines, and give a look at their performance in a way that was never possible back when they were running the show.

@Dictator - How much do we have to give to John to make this happen?

Last edited:
As older consoles now have HDMI mods, I would to see a DF spin off that revisits PS2, GC and Xbox comparisons as they would be a lot more interesting then current machines, and give a look at their performance in a way that was never possible back when they were running the show.

@Dictator - How much do we have to give to John to make this happen?
In Dr Evil's voice: One million dollars

Considering that the original wasn't using polygons, how does Ray Tracing work on this version? Was it converted to normal polygons?

Edit: oh seems like it. Did someone actually went through the whole game and recreated it in 3D???
It uses GZdoom engine and voxels for items and enemies. Voxel models are recreated by someone, yes.

Artistically Doom 3 bores me to death
the art style didn't help the game, even with all the use of normal mapping trying to hide the low amount of polygons. I liked the outdoors landscape of Mars though, when you travel in the cart over the planet's surface.
And the overall rounded shape of the pistol.

Still a very iconic game, I completed it several times, but never completed the expansions although I started to play them. It was an impressive game for the Xbox. And I had more genuine fun in the second playthrough when I had the soul cube.

What I missed the most compared to the originals is the hordes of enemies.

It's an iD game from the Carmack days and it shows. Artistically it is a bit bland in many ways, though graphically impressive. Doom 1 and 2 weren't that great artistically wise, and some maps looked horrible. But if you combined the right textures some maps looked nice. Still, Quake 1 is imho the pinnacle of yesteryear's iD Software. artistically wise, it was so inspired that it doesn't look like a iD -or Carmack- game.

Back