The Intel Execution in [2024]

Brave investors will be getting onto Intel, as there's some massive upside potential here over the rest of the decade, but boy that's a huge gamble. I will say that building out more fabs is likely what Intel needs to do more than anything. They need scale. Even if their nodes aren't as good as promised/expected and they cant charge top price, they still need the ability to procure and satisfy a large number of customers and quantity. Because there's no going back from this. This is a 'failure is not an option' situation. They have to make the foundry business work. They've forced themselves into a 'spend big or go home' strategy.

I honestly dont like it. Intel had no reason to be so confident in their execution to go betting the farm like this. I really feel if they wanted to do the foundry business thing, they should have gotten their fabs in order and competitive first, and then started making investments into expansion and external customers.

Brave investors will be getting onto Intel, as there's some massive upside potential here over the rest of the decade, but boy that's a huge gamble. I will say that building out more fabs is likely what Intel needs to do more than anything. They need scale. Even if their nodes aren't as good as promised/expected and they cant charge top price, they still need the ability to procure and satisfy a large number of customers and quantity. Because there's no going back from this. This is a 'failure is not an option' situation. They have to make the foundry business work. They've forced themselves into a 'spend big or go home' strategy.

I honestly dont like it. Intel had no reason to be so confident in their execution to go betting the farm like this. I really feel if they wanted to do the foundry business thing, they should have gotten their fabs in order and competitive first, and then started making investments into expansion and external customers.
That's enough money to buy a top end Nvidia graphics card, which is easier said than done.

https://wccftech.com/intel-q1-2024-earnings-the-company-posts-a-gaap-net-loss/

Intel's total segmental revenue amounted to $17.08 billion, including $4.369 billion in revenue recognized in its Foundry division. After accounting for intersegment elimination costs of $4.353 billion, the company's net revenue totals $12.72 billion.

Intel has reported non-GAAP gross margin of 45.1 percent vs. expectations of 44.5 percent. Moreover, the chipmaker has disclosed a GAAP net income of -$437 million. On a non-GAAP basis, the company has earned a net income of $759 million vs. consensus expectations of $580 million.

During the quarter, the company burned $1.2 billion in cash to fund its operations. Its cash and cash equivalents now stand at just below $7 billion.

Back