Movie Reviews 2.0

I'm puzzled as to why Godzilla Minus One is nowhere to be seen on digital, with no idea of when it will land. What's going on?

It's not even in theaters here. There were some speculations about some streaming service might have a worldwide exclusive deal, though it's still weird that it takes a limited release like this (except Japan) this long to be on a streaming service, especially if it's an exclusive deal.

I'm puzzled as to why Godzilla Minus One is nowhere to be seen on digital, with no idea of when it will land. What's going on?
Apparently it will follow similar path to Shin Godzilla and it will take close to a year to come to the west.

Hopefully we will get UHD this time..

Apparently it will follow similar path to Shin Godzilla and it will take close to a year to come to the west.

I'd read that Legendary's deal with Toho means that they don't release films in the same year.

It's really annoying, since I've no interest in Godzilla x Kong Wrestlemania, but want to watch Minus One again.

Godzilla X King Kong is stupid. I don't understand why filmmakers make it so easy for themselves. You should have a little more ambition.
On top of that, the camera is ungrounded and fast and the giant monsters move far too quickly like small animals.

I thought it would be better if you saw the films from the perspective of the humans and the creatures look very threatening and cause real panic. See this video

I can't remember exactly what the film was like. I've already forgotten a lot but I like scenes like this.

---

I'm currently most looking forward to Civil War, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Alien Romolus and Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part Two. This time there are even 2 Disney films included. I am sceptical about Romolus, however.

__

Someone has put together some very nice shots from Dune Part 2 here. Many YouTube compression artefacts but still magical for me:

Last edited:
His other films have their not so good moments and pacing problems but compared to most other blockbusters they are good. Rouge One is the best "Star Wars film" in a long time.

Maybe I should watch Godzilla 2014 again. When I have a new projector and screen I will also buy The Creator as a UHD BD. Even though I found the ending far too exaggerated and not good.

Last edited:
I scratch my head at the newer Godzilla films. Haven't watched them. I remember the old Japanese films which I watched as a kid.

I guess with better digital effects they're revisiting them?

It's similar to superhero movies. Again, a lot of people have nostalgia for the superhero comics. Now with digital effects and huge budgets, it's drawing some of the best screenwriters/storytellers as well as big stars and many of the movies have been great.

But the sheer volume of superhero movies these days may be crowding out funding for other genres.

I scratch my head at the newer Godzilla films. Haven't watched them. I remember the old Japanese films which I watched as a kid.

I guess with better digital effects they're revisiting them?

It's similar to superhero movies. Again, a lot of people have nostalgia for the superhero comics. Now with digital effects and huge budgets, it's drawing some of the best screenwriters/storytellers as well as big stars and many of the movies have been great.

But the sheer volume of superhero movies these days may be crowding out funding for other genres.

Not exactly. It's the same broad main character but not the same broad universe or themes.

The old Godzilla films you're referring to you were made in Japan and are Japanese films (although a few might have had some localization changes outside of translation). There's newer versions Japanese films with better effects but that would be Godzilla Minus One and someting like Shin Godzilla.

The new Godzilla films I'm guessing from WB/Legendary is an American adaption and an American film (they tried this once before back in the 90s as well with a different adaption). The new films also doing that shared universe trend and WB is capitlizing by merging in it's King Kong IP as well. They did try an American adaption back in the 90s as well, these aren't related to that either.

It's now announced that Prime Video will be streaming Godzilla Minus One in Japan.
Still no news about its availability in other countries.
It will be widely available shortly after it streams in Japan so long as you're not feeling bound by a few annoying laws and such. ;)

Will it have translated subtitles though?

Not sure if typical anime fansubbers would tackle something like this as a priority or not.
Every Amazon release I've seen so far has had over 40 subtitles included, I'm hoping it's just standard policy and they release it there with the subs.

Back