PS5 Pro *spawn

Some reddit rumor was quite accurate (except the CPU clocks, CUs count). 50-60% more performance than PS5 is very close to 45%. GPU seems to be clocked at around 2ghz and reaches the 14 tflops range (which would make sense using 6nm, but I digress). Something is amiss with the 33.5 Tflops claim because 14*2 = 28, not 33.5.

So my question is, can the GPU be clocked higher (around 2180mhz instead of 2Ghz) for some specific tasks like dual-issue FP16 versus dual-issue FP32? Does it make any sense: is it consuming less doing FP16 than FP32?

Some games examples of two first party titles
Exactly what people wanted, playing at 60fps with better fidelity:
- Play the fidelity 30fps mode at 60fps (because as seen in SM2 debug mode, the 30fps mode is GPU limited and CPU works at around 50% of the time)
- Adding RT effect to the 60fps non-RT mode.

And PS5 Pro specs are perfect to achieve this. It's like Cerny knows what he is doing?

RDNA4 will be competing with Blackwell so I'd be really surprised if it doesn't feature at least Ampere level RT capabilities. It should really be at Lovelace or above to be truly competitive with Blackwell.

But even Ampere level RT should be enough for the 2-3x PS5 performance in RT limited scenarios given the baseline 45% raster uplift.

We quite commonly see those sorts of boosts posted here in the RT thread for Ampere vs RDNA2 in the most extreme RT scenarios.

The 2.18 GHz number reminds me PS5 dev kits which is 2GHz without mentioning variable clock. There is no info about variable clock of PS5 Pro GPU. It seems highest frequency is still not decided.

PS5 retail 2.23GHz vs. devkit 2GHz which is 11% increase.

2.45 GHz rumored vs. 2.18 GHz devkit is 12% improvement.

Exactly what people wanted, playing at 60fps with better fidelity:
- Play the fidelity 30fps mode at 60fps (because as seen in SM2 debug mode, the 30fps mode is GPU limited and CPU works at around 50% of the time)
- Adding RT effect to the 60fps non-RT mode.

And PS5 Pro specs are perfect to achieve this. It's like Cerny knows what he is doing?
It's what some people wanted. There's also people who wanted a stronger CPU to improve the situation in more CPU heavy titles and situations.

But I think any bigger CPU improvement likely would have cost more die space than people realize. For instance, the big thing with Zen 3(that was carried to Zen 4) was the large, unified L3, which would ruin the layout that Sony/MS have with their CPU's, where they can keep them nice and thin on the side with separate 2x4 core blocks next to each other end on end, each with their own 4MB of L3. So if you're going to do a single larger(16MB+) L3 with all cores having access, then you're gonna be doing more of a 'square' design, which will bulge out the die. Maybe they could have worked with AMD on some highly custom Zen 4 layout or whatever, but either way, it would meant more costs. Just simpler and cheaper to stick with the fairly standard Renoir blocks they're using now.

It's disappointing in my opinion, but I guess it makes sense if Sony is adamant on keeping the price from being like $599 or something(without disc drive).

This is fine for the games of today... but the current gen games have barely started hitting. 2-3 years from now the CPU could be a big issue for the PRO.

It's what some people wanted. There's also people who wanted a stronger CPU to improve the situation in more CPU heavy titles and situations.
What CPU heavy titles? The vast majority of games have a performance mode and are heavily GPU limited. When Plague was released many were saying it was too CPU heavy and could never run at 60fps. Well it appears it just needed some optimization (notably on PS5) for doing so. Look at the CPU heavy open-world games that were all running at 30fps in last gen, well they all run at 60fps in this gen.

This is fine for the games of today... but the current gen games have barely started hitting. 2-3 years from now the CPU could be a big issue for the PRO.
We are in the 4th year now, we still haven't seen many of those 30fps only games, and not recently. And in 3 years and an half the PS6 will likely be released with a much better CPU. Technically this is the gen of 60fps gaming on consoles and devs certainly won't dare releasing 30fps games again. Just look at those who tried: The Ubisoft launch game (who was patched afterwise with a pretty good 60fps mode) and the incredibly successful... Gotham Knights. Who would dare releasing a 30fps only game now?

RDNA4 will be competing with Blackwell so I'd be really surprised if it doesn't feature at least Ampere level RT capabilities. It should really be at Lovelace or above to be truly competitive with Blackwell.

But even Ampere level RT should be enough for the 2-3x PS5 performance in RT limited scenarios given the baseline 45% raster uplift.

We quite commonly see those sorts of boosts posted here in the RT thread for Ampere vs RDNA2 in the most extreme RT scenarios.
Will RDNA4 compete with Blackwell? Far as I heard, AMD isn't aiming to get high-end GPUs out for RDNA4 so they will be competing with mid-tier Lovelace products.

Some reddit rumor was quite accurate (except the CPU clocks, CUs count). 50-60% more performance than PS5 is very close to 45%. GPU seems to be clocked at around 2ghz and reaches the 14 tflops range (which would make sense using 6nm, but I digress). Something is amiss with the 33.5 Tflops claim because 14*2 = 28, not 33.5.

So my question is, can the GPU be clocked higher (around 2180mhz instead of 2Ghz) for some specific tasks like dual-issue FP16 versus dual-issue FP32? Does it make any sense: is it consuming less doing FP16 than FP32?

If you use the quoted INT8 figure to reverse calculate the GPU clock it works out at just over 2.45Ghz.

Which also gives you 16.5Tlops and 33Tflops.

If you use the quoted INT8 figure to reverse calculate the GPU clock it works out at just over 2.45Ghz.

Which also gives you 16.5Tlops and 33Tflops.
I think the clocks are even more dynamic this time. And for 33.5 Tf you'd need around 2.18 Ghz. There could be potentially 3 different GPU clocks depending of the task.

What CPU heavy titles? The vast majority of games have a performance mode and are heavily GPU limited.
Plenty of RT modes are likely limited due to CPU as much as GPU.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is a recent one. Starfield is another. I'm sure we're gonna see more as well. Easy to forget(or conveniently ignore) it's only been in the past year or so that we've finally made the switch to actual next gen titles. I'd be absolutely shocked if GTAVI isn't 30fps.

Plenty of RT modes are likely limited due to CPU as much as GPU.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is a recent one. Starfield is another. I'm sure we're gonna see more as well. Easy to forget(or conveniently ignore) it's only been in the past year or so that we've finally made the switch to actual next gen titles. I'd be absolutely shocked if GTAVI isn't 30fps.
Do you honestly think GTA VI will be solely limited to 30 fps on PS5 Pro? No 40 fps mode?

Do you honestly think GTA VI will be solely limited to 30 fps on PS5 Pro? No 40 fps mode?
Well sure, a 40fps mode might be possible, but I'm still talking in the general 30 vs 60fps sense.

40fps is only useful to a small minority of users with 120hz displays. And we dont see it much outside of Sony 1st party titles, either way.

Point is, I dont think it's gonna be a game with a 60fps mode.

Back