Final Fantasy VII Remake

Well there's only the first episode so far, but a common complaint I've seen was that the first episode felt fairly padded out. They were trying to take what was only like 7 hours of game in the original and turn it into a 40-50 hour experience to justify it being a 'full game'.

But this wouldn't be sustainable for the rest of the remake episodes, otherwise it'd be like a 300 hour game.
Iirc sqex said long time ago that each episodes are being treated as if they are separate full games

Well there's only the first episode so far, but a common complaint I've seen was that the first episode felt fairly padded out. They were trying to take what was only like 7 hours of game in the original and turn it into a 40-50 hour experience to justify it being a 'full game'.

But this wouldn't be sustainable for the rest of the remake episodes, otherwise it'd be like a 300 hour game.
Those 7 hours of the original would have been pretty boring if they copied it like for like. The original's Midgard section (which is where Remake ends) did feel like a unique section in itself in the original, and they did a pretty good job at fleshing it out better. I dont remember if it's where the first disk also ended 40-50 hours is only if you want to finish all sides quests. Considering it is an RPG that treated the Midgard section as the first episode, including side quests (which is where the complaints came from) were expected to be a side effect.

Those 7 hours of the original would have been pretty boring if they copied it like for like. The original's Midgard section (which is where Remake ends) did feel like a unique section in itself in the original, and they did a pretty good job at fleshing it out better. I dont remember if it's where the first disk also ended 40-50 hours is only if you want to finish all sides quests. Considering it is an RPG that treated the Midgard section as the first episode, including side quests (which is where the complaints came from) were expected to be a side effect.
I'm not bashing it, I'm just explaining the situation to the person who was asking.

The point is that they CANNOT expand on the individual scenarios in the two remaining remake episodes like they did with the first episode. It's just not really practically possible. So these two upcoming episodes are likely to feel a fair bit different in terms of pacing and content if you're at all familiar with the original game.

Overall I was impressed by the demo (FF7 Part 2) and found it very polished, playing in framerate mode. Compared to most western AAA recent releases the IQ is super consistent. Base resolution is quite low but at least things like vegetations or alphas are not breaking up in motion. It's such an improvement compared to 95% of recent multiplatform games that try to reach a higher reconstructed resolution (on paper), but at a big consistency cost (meaning the game looks awful in many cases except when looking at this one flat texture).

Then the smooth 60fps framerate combined with virtually no loading times or I/O stutters, everything super seamless, even when you enter detailed buildings (usually there is not even a door, and no I/O sutters when you enter or exist and rooms are very detailed). The controls are also super responsive and with a decent FOV (quite better than FF7 Part 1). It's a game designed to be played, and this is how it should be, always.

I think it's the only recent game combining all those positive elements (since horizon FW). Even games like TLOU remasters have absurdly long loading times (+20 secs). Technically FF7 is really impressive. Sure the game can have some PS4 textures here and there and it appears a bit soft (even in quality mode BTW, difference of sharpness is not that big). But they got the most important right and it's such a pleasure to play that game after those RE Engine or UE5 flawed games when the bad IQ constantly distracts you from the experience.

Personally not a fan of the visual quality I'm seeing even in Quality mode. No GI and poor baked lighting, really jank traversal animations, very low-res textures all throughout and stiff vegetation that doesn't react to character movements. Looks like they were trying to make low poly rocks have the illusion of being high geometry by utilizing normal maps which works alright at a far distance but breaks when you're actually there. Wonder how the open world will fare because this demo is mostly a linear section. Disappointing graphics aside, combat was fun and I love all the cutscenes.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240207201315.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240206211000.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240206211420.jpg

The score and arrangement for rebirth soundtrack is just outstanding. I already love the Main theme battle edit.
The composers are just magicians.

On another note :

Oh my...I guess there were some sacrifices or it's because the world is bigger now and more colorful.

GGTpCO0WQAAyDBu

GGTow5JXkAA_QRQ

Update coming on the 21st to correct image quality in performance mode of the demo and the final build :

Someone said he received some B - Roll footage MIGHT CONTAINS SPOILERS
Haven't seen those videos officially before

Last edited:
The score and arrangement for rebirth soundtrack is just outstanding. I already love the Main theme battle edit.
The composers are just magicians.

On another note :

Oh my...I guess there were some sacrifices or it's because the world is bigger now and more colorful.

GGTpCO0WQAAyDBu

GGTow5JXkAA_QRQ

Update coming on the 21st to correct image quality in performance mode of the demo and the final build :

Someone said he received some B - Roll footage MIGHT CONTAINS SPOILERS
Haven't seen those videos officially before

Regarding the images you posted, there were sections in Remake that also looked like that. It depends on the lighting conditions. Sometimes the conditions are unflattering for both. The only game I remember where the quality of the lighting was super consistent was on Uncharted4.

at least 7 rebirth didnt have the "flat" lighting like lots of places in FF16, especially after the first few main missions. and the 60fps is consisten enough, unlike ff16.

yes, my expectations of PS5 game quality has fell down thru the floor ever since i played FF16. so FF7 rebirth is actually quite nice.

at least 7 rebirth didnt have the "flat" lighting like lots of places in FF16, especially after the first few main missions. and the 60fps is consisten enough, unlike ff16.

yes, my expectations of PS5 game quality has fell down thru the floor ever since i played FF16. so FF7 rebirth is actually quite nice.

I dunno, I think XVI looks better than this even with the flat lighting in some areas and no AO. The complete lack of a GI system also makes Rebirth look flat in a bunch of places in addition to the horrendous textures and low poly model issue they've been having with their custom UE4 since Remake. For all the hate Forspoken got, that game absolutely pounces on this. Animations alone are hilariously jank.

I dunno, I think XVI looks better than this even with the flat lighting in some areas and no AO. The complete lack of a GI system also makes Rebirth look flat in a bunch of places in addition to the horrendous textures and low poly model issue they've been having with their custom UE4 since Remake. For all the hate Forspoken got, that game absolutely pounces on this. Animations alone are hilariously jank.

Yes forspoken is indeed better. If only it got more budget and better art direction... It'll be amazing.

Anyway, I still can't see your examples as looking flat

some later environments in FF16 look better than what i've seen from FF7RR for now, with highly detailed scenery/rocks, a lot more polygon details overall.

I also find XVI in comparison more appealing to the eyes in terms of consistency, shadows, dynamic grass, textures, terrain, but I believe the scale of Rebirth and diversity was a challenge.
I 'm waiting to see what the visual upgrade will be with the upcoming patch. Of course it certainly won't refrain people from playing and enjoying the game itself. But for the people who lvoe photo modes or just chilling and looking at every details it's gonna be eye picky. Also the demo could be Old maybe. But the Broll footage still has this blurry look to it.
I wonder if at this point SE will keep UE4 for the next installment or will switch to UE5

Back