EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we think MS will try to keep things vague to not rattle markets too bad?

More like, not to rattle their current hardcore fanbase any further. It will be a slow drip (of exclusives going multiplatform) on easing them into the inevitable.

I'm also certain, Phil will be leaving or forced out Microsoft this year. :yep2:

More like, not to rattle their current hardcore fanbase any further. It will be a slow drip (of exclusives going multiplatform) on easing them into the inevitable.

I'm also certain, Phil will be leaving or forced out Microsoft this year. :yep2:
You think it's likely he will leave? I can't even comprehend it. He's like the face of Xbox to a lot of the die hards

You think it's likely he will leave? I can't even comprehend it. He's like the face of Xbox to a lot of the die hards

If there is internal strife between the XB division leadership and Microsoft's chief leadership heads, these situations are often rectified with dismissals or forced resignations. Plus, Phil seems tired and defeated from his prior comments... and soon or later when those XB tentpole titles hit PlayStation 5 and/or Switch 2, those diehards are going to yell for his head (much worst than these prior weeks).

I can agree with this btw. Cloud is inevitable. It might not be here until Gen12, but anyone who thinks the average gamer is going to care about having their own box when we get to sub 1ms latency eventually is fooling themselves. And we will get there as surely as we have more than 640k memory in our PCs and as surely as an AI will write better music than The Beatles. The future is arriving.
Cloud failed already, it was doomed from the start.

There's no particular reason or care to have it. It never saved that much money on hardware as you needed enough servers for max demand in each area close to each person, and server/datacenter space with a good internet connection all over the place just isn't that cheap.

Fans (customers) are already getting hyped over the "mobile next gen" console rumors, regardless of what MS/Sony are doing that's what they want. And there you're "saving" even less money, you still need the screen, battery, modem, minimal chipset for streaming, os, etc. Then you go to a low signal area and your game freezes, doesn't if you just play locally.

The difference between a "cloud" console, even one subsidized (say subsidized G-Cloud) might be $200 versus a max price of $400 for the Switch 2, that's less than 2 years "streaming subscription" cost difference for a console that could last a decade. People are dumb but they're not that dumb, Switch 2 it is.

the current Xbox division CEO is a woman, right? That's a big change

the current Xbox division CEO is a woman, right? That's a big change

As far as I know, Sarah Bond is the XB division President and potentially Phil's successor as CEO. But generally speaking, she oversees the day to day operations over the XB division.

Sarah bond yeah she's new though

I wouldn't necessarily say she is new though. She has been with the XB division for some years now, in various VP roles.

Last edited:
I'm also certain, Phil will be leaving or forced out Microsoft this year.

From an investor hat, I would not feel that way. During his tenure he made MS one of the largest publishing companies with a total revenue greater than their windows division. They did this while being in third place. They are way ahead of everyone else when it comes to subscriptions and licensing technologies. They own Minecraft which is a steal for the price paid. They are very well positioned in the cloud space to take leadership. From a platform perspective he’s done amazing. Everyone is waiting around for that killer title, sure, but you wouldn’t be axed for not producing one.

Leaving hardware, if that is what is coming, isn’t a reason to axe him if the end result just continues to ramp revenues further.

They've gone from about 5 studios to over 30 with Phil at the helm. Sony would dream to have the Xbox software lineup this year. Phil has done pretty well.

His best skill is convincing Satya to get the checkbook out though. :)

Cloud has hardly failed. It's barely begun. The hardware savings are tremendous and you don't need to build up a user base every generation which is massive.

It might be savings for the consumer, but it is a pretty bad deal for the platform holder. Before they could sell hardware + games, with streaming the only realistic model is subscriptions and then the streaming service has to invest in both hardware and games before they get anything back.

Xboxers after the announcement on the 15th.

Hey Theeoo,

this looks like a attempt to poke fun which I’m okay with. But…

If you’re just egging each on each other in the community, try to find a way to show love to the same people you’re ragging on. It’s easy to drive by, and we’ve been asked to improve signal to noise ratio of posts across B3D and technically this would fall into that category we should moderate out , but at the same time we are a community of people! So I would prefer that poking some fun comes with some love in the same post so that people don’t run off with it and recognize it’s okay to laugh together at our own love for plastic boxes.

Can we add some verbiage around this one Nesh, any thoughts you wanted to add?

I mean, it is a Starfield thread, and it's interesting by itself, I would say anyway. If Pentiment is getting ported for lack of sales maybe Starfield could get ported for lack of continued player interest.

That being said I don't blame anyone, most of Starfield is boring AF. The dual problems of a bad lead designer chasing game "size" over fun and Bethesda's chronic under investment in tech results in a game that's only sporadically fun and is an absolute pain to wander around in trying to find that fun.

When interest for an exclusive game wanes isn't that when they make it available on other platforms? Any type of cost/benefit analysis done prior to release on other platforms?

I mean, it is a Starfield thread, and it's interesting by itself, I would say anyway. If Pentiment is getting ported for lack of sales maybe Starfield could get ported for lack of continued player interest.

That being said I don't blame anyone, most of Starfield is boring AF. The dual problems of a bad lead designer chasing game "size" over fun and Bethesda's chronic under investment in tech results in a game that's only sporadically fun and is an absolute pain to wander around in trying to find that fun.
Technically this is rumours Starfield is coming to PS5 thread :)

We are just trying to get folks to add thoughtful detail to ensure that points are being made such that counter posts aren’t arguing against points that the poster was not trying to make.

IMO, most titles do drop off rapidly after launch. But I’m not sure if that was the point trying to be made or an assumption that Starfield should be doing better than this.

When interest for an exclusive game wanes isn't that when they make it available on other platforms? Any type of cost/benefit analysis done prior to release on other platforms?
Not necessarily. If it wanes releasing it elsewhere may not lead to fanfare. If everyone thinks Starfield is a bad game, releasing it on ps5 won’t suddenly make it good. They should move to rectify the issues before releasing it on ps5 if that is the motive of the developer.

If it wanes releasing it elsewhere may not lead to fanfare.
I dont think that was the point he was making
More of a interest is waning - "ok guys we've saturated the market time to release on another platform"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back