Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Just picked up a PS5 Slim today. It's a noisy boy compared to the Nintendo Switch or PS3 😅

My son plays Fortnite so he is over the moon with the load time and visual upgrade. Luckily it was easy to link the accounts, so he could continue playing with his Nintendo Switch account.

This is literally my setup on a fully dark room with my screen completely dark ,holding the controller at screen level. The PS5 LED is even less bright in real life than how it looks in the photo.
I can't see my controller LED reflections nor my PS5 lighting the periphery.

To me it sounds that you are too sensitive with how you perceive your environment.
That's why I said maybe my TV is dimmer than yours.

(or ffxvi is simply way too dim and flat)

Last edited:
That's why I said maybe my TV is dimmer than yours.

(or ffxvi is simply way too dim and flat)
Mine is an LG B9. Your TV is a premium newer version of mine. A fully glossy TV with perfect blacks in a pitch black room is more likely to reflect lights from the environment. The controller lights can't even face the TV to reflect anything.Also the PS5 LEDs can't illuminate the periphery even in a pitch black room

Dbrand sells custom strips that change the color or completely blackout the LEDs of the PS5.

They don't advertise it but if you select the darkplates then you can select the lightstrips and unselect the darkplates.

Screenshot_2024-01-09-15-14-48-012_lockscreen~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-09-15-23-43-609_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

That is how bright and distracting ps5 led in my room.

And this is at minimum led brightness, and with the room at low brightness (not pitch black)

@Nesh

Last edited:
View attachment 10558
View attachment 10559

That is how bright and distracting ps5 led in my room.

And this is at minimum led brightness, and with the room at low brightness (not pitch black)

@Nesh
I know for sure the LEDs are less bright than your photos show.
But I see where you are coming from. The controller LEDs can't reflect on that thing. But I do see your screen is significantly smaller than mine and is positioned quite high, which kinda makes the PS5, places underneath it look bigger in relation and potentially pulls some attention. Our vertical view is narrower, our horizontal has more space, but your setup is "vertical"

I know for sure the LEDs are less bright than your photos show.
But I see where you are coming from. The controller LEDs can't reflect on that thing. But I do see your screen is significantly smaller than mine and is positioned quite high, which kinda makes the PS5, places underneath it look bigger in relation and potentially pulls some attention. Our vertical view is narrower, our horizontal has more space, but your setup is "vertical"

actually if my setup is more vertical, i wont be able to see the PS5 in my periphery, the problem will be solved. because human have more horizontal than vertical fov.

unfortunately i have no space to place the PS5 lower than this, i also cant put my tv even higher. i also cannot swap PS5 position with xbox 360, as i cant stack the xbox 360 on top of the PS5.

Edit
Managed to place ps5 lower and deeper

Screenshot_2024-01-09-16-42-59-397_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Last edited:
it feels like it was designed in pieces by different teams who don't have any contact with each other.

The more I used my ps5 the more I think this could be true. Maybe that really was how ps5 was made.

For example, the audio output settings menu is way more detailed than the video output settings menu. It is so detailed, You can even adjust each speakers angles by 1 degrees.

While the video output settings cant even show brightness in nits.

actually if my setup is more vertical, i wont be able to see the PS5 in my periphery, the problem will be solved. because human have more horizontal than vertical fov.

unfortunately i have no space to place the PS5 lower than this, i also cant put my tv even higher. i also cannot swap PS5 position with xbox 360, as i cant stack the xbox 360 on top of the PS5.
Well yeah, our horizontal view has more space, your narrower vertical perspective fills up easier, and your screen is not wide enough, and that's what I see in your setup being the issue. Your focus narrows down to that spot.
Making your setup even more vertical until you can't notice the PS5 is an impossible task and will make it worse. :p
Personally I would have been lowering the TV, not putting it higher and I would have moved the PS5 towards the side. The TV would have become more towards my focus and the PS5 would have moved outside of my focus even if it's in my FOV

Personally I would have been lowering the TV, not putting it higher and I would have moved the PS5 towards the side. The TV would have become more towards my focus and the PS5 would have moved outside of my focus even if it's in my FOV

Unfortunately I have very sensitive peripheral vision. So placing it like that would be even worse.

Anyway, even with the ps5 near the floor it's still to distracting. Probably I'll tape over it in the weekends

Can’t you hide it behind your TV? Or rotate it so thd bottom faces you and the lights face your wall?

screenshot_2024-01-09-16-42-59-397_com-google-android-apps-photos-2-jpg.10577

You should be convicted for war crimes against that XB360.:eek: Poor little fella... :mad::cry:

Dammit. Turns out I got a PS5 with whirring / rattling fan.

The new location I placed it basically became an echo chamber that makes the whirring sounds louder.

🤣

Now placing it back on top of my Xbox 360

This got me thinking, why since ps4 and Xbox one era, Sony's quality standard has been consistently lower than Microsoft?

Sony simply chose to chase better margin? Microsoft afraid with the repeat of Xbox 360 fiasco? Suppliers can get away when they are fucking Sony, but got reprimanded when trying to fuck Microsoft?

Edit

It seems I got the delta fan. As the rattling sound is very similar to my ps5 (like a fan blade wqs catching on something). Will count the blades later...

Last edited:
Dammit. Turns out I got a PS5 with whirring / rattling fan.

The new location I placed it basically became an echo chamber that makes the whirring sounds louder.

🤣

Now placing it back on top of my Xbox 360

This got me thinking, why since ps4 and Xbox one era, Sony's quality standard has been consistently lower than Microsoft?

Sony simply chose to chase better margin? Microsoft afraid with the repeat of Xbox 360 fiasco? Suppliers can get away when they are fucking Sony, but got reprimanded when trying to fuck Microsoft?

Edit

It seems I got the delta fan. As the rattling sound is very similar to my ps5 (like a fan blade wqs catching on something). Will count the blades later...
My PS5 Slim is whirring and rattling as well.

Just saw this video, so it is normal whether you got the NMB, Nidec or Delta fan. They all sound equally bad despite slightly different fan profiles.

Last edited:
I would definitely be looking to replace the fans, or cushion mountings if my PS5 sounded like that. The only time I can hear my launch unit is when insert a disc, which is rare. Then, for whatever reason, this causes a ramp-up of the fans for about ten seconds, plus you can hear the drive mechanism, then the drive settles and the fans go back to normal.

My PS5 Slim is whirring and rattling as well.

Just saw this video, so it is normal whether you got the NMB, Nidec or Delta fan. They all sound equally bad despite slightly different fan profiles.

That's it! The exact sounds my ps5 made. The delta.

People who are sensitive to sound better with Xbox series then. Dead silent.

Or find a way to make the ps5 noise can't be heard

Edit:

As the sound is basically perfect match to my ears... Uh... Maybe these whirring sound, like the fan catching on something, is actually deliberately designed by Sony?

Maybe it's a tradeoff between cost or something?

As it doesn't seem to be QC / production variance issue

Last edited:
That's it! The exact sounds my ps5 made. The delta.

People who are sensitive to sound better with Xbox series then. Dead silent.

Or find a way to make the ps5 noise can't be heard

Edit:

As the sound is basically perfect match to my ears... Uh... Maybe these whirring sound, like the fan catching on something, is actually deliberately designed by Sony?

Maybe it's a tradeoff between cost or something?

As it doesn't seem to be QC / production variance issue

I also thought the fan blades were hitting something.

I would definitely be looking to replace the fans, or cushion mountings if my PS5 sounded like that. The only time I can hear my launch unit is when insert a disc, which is rare. Then, for whatever reason, this causes a ramp-up of the fans for about ten seconds, plus you can hear the drive mechanism, then the drive settles and the fans go back to normal.

Well I can return it within 30 days for a full refund. No one has an Xbox in Denmark 😂

But honestly I am baffled by the UI. I thought the Nintendo Switch were lacklustre but somehow Sony does it worse 🙈

I doubt my son cares though, as he games with headset on and enjoy the added visual fidelity and loading times. His only problem so far has been the button arrangement compared to Nintendo but he already seems to have adjusted.

Back