God of War [PS4, PC]

As soon as the old Kratos model is combined with more than 4 words per hour, it makes no sense anymore whatsoever.

New patch just released for God of War on Steam. They've implemented a "small object culling" system to reduce the number of objects being processed by the CPU.. which apparently helps AMD CPUs an average of 20% in frametimes above 95th percentile.

Patch v1.0.9 for God of War is now live.

Please restart Steam to receive the update immediately

Patch Notes

New Features
  • Aiming and Blocking can now be configured as a toggle instead of a hold
  • Triple Buffering can now be enabled to reduce micro-stutters at the cost of a minor latency increase
  • GPU memory usage is now included in the video settings to aid performance troubleshooting

Fixes
  • Memory values will now be detected properly when using integrated graphics
  • Silent crashes will no longer occur if a GPU reports invalid memory values
  • Some gameplay systems will no longer cause intermittent crashes
  • Implemented small object culling to help reduce the number of objects being processed by the CPU
    Developed in response to recurring AMD performance issues, this change should improve minimum framerates in scenes where there are many objects on-screen. During our testing, we saw an average 20% improvement in frametimes above the 95th percentile.

To those not experiencing instances of major framerate drops, please note that this change will not result in a significant improvement to graphical performance.

See below for our testing data

• Culling Performance Testing
    Tested on a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, and a AMD 6800XT GPU
    FPS = Frames per second, FT = Frametime
    Lower frametimes are better
    Settings Avg FPS Avg FT 95th % FT 99th % FT 99.9th % FT
    Culling - Off 66.6ms 15ms 24.4ms 31.8ms 47ms
    Culling - On 68.6ms 14.6ms 17ms 24.3ms 34.7ms
    Improvement 3% 2.67% 30.33% 23.58% 26.17%

Known Issue
AMD Shader Caching

Last updated 3/23/22 at 10:00am PST

Throughout our testing, we noticed intermittent framerate reductions when shaders were accessed for the first time. We are working with AMD to resolve this in a future patch.

Some pretty darn good improvements/additions. Finally some love for AMD CPU/GPU users as well! I can't test their performance improvement claims as I've completed and uninstalled the game, but I see no reason to doubt them. A few people have already mentioned dramatically better performance on various forums.

It's great to see them continuing to update and improve the game. My suspicion is that any work they're doing now contributes to improving Ragnarok when it (potentially) releases on PC in the future. :)

New patch just released for God of War on Steam. They've implemented a "small object culling" system to reduce the number of objects being processed by the CPU.. which apparently helps AMD CPUs an average of 20% in frametimes above 95th percentile.

Some pretty darn good improvements/additions. Finally some love for AMD CPU/GPU users as well! I can't test their performance improvement claims as I've completed and uninstalled the game, but I see no reason to doubt them. A few people have already mentioned dramatically better performance on various forums.

It's great to see them continuing to update and improve the game. My suspicion is that any work they're doing now contributes to improving Ragnarok when it (potentially) releases on PC in the future. :)

Sony is doing very well on their PC platform, its ironic but its good to see ;)

Perfect fan-fic for all the cry-babies that couldn't handle ...
Thank you for the spoiler. Not sure why stuff like that need to be posted in a God or War thread. There is a Last of Us 2 thread and a Last of Us 2 Spoiler thread, which I've been avoiding. Yeah not the latest game anymore, but bad form anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the spoiler. Not sure why stuff like that need to be posted in a God or War thread. There is a Last of Us 2 thread and a Last of Us 2 Spoiler thread, which I've been avoiding. Yeah not the latest game anymore, but bad form anyway.

Cleaned up the last few posts for noted spoilers. Hope it didn't spoil anyone else.

Back