Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

COD is still much more profitable than any FPS in the market.

In fact 2021 team may already starts production for 2024 release. If 2022 team is given green light then 2025 COD will still exist.

If MS decides no 2023 COD team, then it only affects 2026 COD release.
Yup, I recognize this, but if COD isn't released annually does the gaming industry revenue as a whole shrink? Or do players invest their money into other games?

If the latter, nothing is lost to the industry, if the former, than they need to keep making them annually. I'm fairly positive you won't lose industry revenue given the number of shooter substitutes, so the rest of the industry would benefit with CoD not being there annually. This plays better into a first party strategy since you want players to divest where they put their cash and try new experiences, instead of pumping out the same one over and over, this is what stifles innovation and leads to homogeneity.

Yup, I recognize this, but if COD isn't released annually does the gaming industry revenue as a whole shrink? Or do players invest their money into other games?
I wonder if the situation is similar to EA where the claimed that most of the money comes from MTX so I wonder if Warzone by itself is more profitable than mainline COD

@eastmen what acquisition talks do you think this ATVI acquisition affected? It is rather huge acquisition.

Doesnt it! Thats terrible on Sony's part, did the ps4 have a browser? I assumed every console for the last 15-20 years had a browser

PS4 did. It was a bit of a security problem for them. Whether that's the reason they didn't expose the PS5 one, or it was because they could see Stadia, Luma and xCloud on the horizon. /shrug

I wonder if the situation is similar to EA where the claimed that most of the money comes from MTX so I wonder if Warzone by itself is more profitable than mainline COD

@eastmen what acquisition talks do you think this ATVI acquisition affected? It is rather huge acquisition.
I believe warzone is their most profitable cod. IIRC reading it somewhere.

Doesnt it! Thats terrible on Sony's part, did the ps4 have a browser? I assumed every console for the last 15-20 years had a browser

Yes PS4 has a browser, just dont waste time actually using it. IMO a console doesnt really need a browser, its a games-machine anyway, most people have laptops/phones or tablets.

MS stock lost $220 Billion YTD, and this deal contributed to that fall. In fact, MS stock has lost $80 Billion in the last 2 days.

Funny how only Sony's much smaller hit is everywhere on the news.

In relative terms the fall is fairly similar on the NYSE for both. MS share price down ~1.03% and Sony share price down ~0.94% on the New York Stock Exchange. Those are both relatively minor blips in the US, especially in terms of day trading and for MSFT, this being their home territory. Add to that, as of 10 AM EST (US), MS share price has rebounded and it's currently only down ~0.50%. That's not what it will close at, but is a snapshot of what traders value it at currently.

What's concerning for Sony is that on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (their home territory) they dropped ~13%. That's a fairly major drop in share price in their home territory. It's still basically day trading at this point, however, so no reason for investors to get spooked at the moment. But it is certainly something to keep an eye on. I don't believe Microsoft is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, but I'm not positive on that.

Basically, it's all relative to not only their price but how large of an impact it has on their share price and where that drop happens. If MSFT dropped 13% on the NYSE, there'd be articles written everywhere about it. :)

Regards,
SB

PS4 has a browser, but it's shit like PS3's. Browser doesn't make sense to me as everyone has a phone to hand and most have a browser built into their TV. What is a browser wanted for on the consoles? Potentially, direct access to game guides, but Sony created a system for that. For other stuff like looking up IMDB for what else has that actor in that film you just watched has been in, we use other devices now.

PS4 did. It was a bit of a security problem for them. Whether that's the reason they didn't expose the PS5 one, or it was because they could see Stadia, Luma and xCloud on the horizon. /shrug
Cloud streaming wouldn't be a concern. It takes about 15 minutes to load a simple webpage and 90 seconds to swap to full screen or back - a Stadia game running at 0.001 FPS isn't really going to eat into the PS userbase!

Last edited:
So this is what happens when you miss suscriber numbers when you are charging your customers a price below the cost of your assets. I guess Netflix will raise prices again soon.Maybe some people see the connection.

FJou32FWUAIukPP

Sorry to continue the stock talk, but something else is going on with Microsoft's stock right now. The price was $342 December 27th 2021, $310 on January 14 and now $301 a few days after the announcement. So yes, they did lose a bit but likely not related because it has been going down for last few weeks. Sony was $127, 124, and now $111. So, while not as significant as what Microsoft has lost there is more of a direct correlation in the drops for Sony. Not sure what is going on with Microsoft's stock right now

Netflix already had announced price increases in December, that's part of the reason why the market reacted .

Sorry to continue the stock talk, but something else is going on with Microsoft's stock right now. The price was $342 December 27th 2021, $310 on January 14 and now $301 a few days after the announcement. So yes, they did lose a bit but likely not related because it has been going down for last few weeks. Sony was $127, 124, and now $111. So, while not as significant as what Microsoft has lost there is more of a direct correlation in the drops for Sony. Not sure what is going on with Microsoft's stock right now

Stock price is not defined based on one variable, market sentiment, interest rates, bond prices, industry performance, other areas of the bussiness performance, macro news, ukranian conflict, etc... those can affect the stock as well. People, specially gaming people, read too much off stock prices.

Netflix already had announced price increases in December, that's part of the reason why the market reacted .

Oh just saw that, since 2017 increase in price of over 50% and that may not be enough to generate positive cash. They burnt half a billion last quarter alone, yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which publishers will have more development studios than Microsoft if this deal goes through and how many in comparison?

Back