AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

And some of those were deliberate, time-/quantity-limited arrangements explicitly set for the launch.

Just like every other AMD and Nvidia graphics card that released within the last year or so.

As time goes by, custom products fall in price, too, often below launch MSRP. Where's the MSRP then?
What discrete GPU launched in 2020 or 2021 fell in price below launch MSRP?
Are you sure you're in the right decade?

What did you pay for your 6900 XT?
MSRP (1000€), in a weekly lottery "event" arranged by AMD to sell a couple dozen reference GPUs at that "insanely low" price.
I.e. I bought it in a time-/quantity-limited arrangement just like @Jawed suggested.

Aside from the ones being sold by AMD.com, all 6900 XTs are selling way above 1000€.

6900XT in Germany:
https://geizhals.eu/?fs=6900 XT&sort=p&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&cat=gra16_512

6900XT in the US:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=6900XT&Order=1

April 2017 launch MSRP for RX 570 was $169 according to Tech Power Up:

AMD Radeon RX 570 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

(there were 4GB variants of the normally-8GB RX 580, so that's why I've picked RX 570).

It was a victim of the 2017 Crypto Craze:

Video Cards - Price Trends - PCPartPicker (archive.org)

and in 2019 was finally selling with some SKUs below that price:

Video Cards - Price Trends - PCPartPicker (archive.org)

as seen from the long, high-saturation, blue lines, many of which are at or below $150. Amusing to see that the average price hit $450 in February 2018, and of course it's hit that kind of price again, this year...

RX 580's launch MSRP was $229 and it would seem reasonable to expect 6600XT to be about $250 just based upon die-size and memory amount, four years later. But 7nm costs more than 14nm, 16Gbps GDDR6 memory costs more than 8Gbps GDDR5. And crypto.

upload_2021-8-19_23-37-56.png

Playing one DX11 game at average 24W GPU ASIC Power and 77W CPU Package Power (R9 5950X). The RX6600XT is very efficient holy crap.
Granted game is not very demanding, and with my RX5700XT I usually consume ~140W for same performance on this game compared to 25W on 6600XT.

I removed my 5700XT because I wanted something small and runs cool, turns out the 6600XT exceeded my expectations

Radeon Pro W6800X Duo review:

Some pretty disappointing results, IMO.

5krhbl.jpg

EDIT: Took a little look at that review, and they don't compare it to anything, just "it's barely faster than my previous Vega Duo". Sounds a bit useless IMO.

I wonder if the drivers and apps are properly detecting the two GPUs. The only thing that seems to be scaling properly is Geekbench.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Took a little look at that review, and they don't compare it to anything, just "it's barely faster than my previous Vega Duo". Sounds a bit useless IMO.

I wonder if the drivers and apps are properly detecting the two GPUs. The only thing that seems to be scaling properly is Geekbench.
There seems to be a lot of thermal problems too, which is quite bizarre. Could be a bad sample?

According to some leakers the 6nm Navi 2x refresh should be released with RDNA 3 products, according to other ones it will be released later (2022?). One way or another, 6nm products should not be ready earlier than at the end of 2022.

Does N6 effectively offer any clock advantage over N7P @ iso-power?

help me out with what might be a dumb Q.

As I understand it, Nv RTX cards need to build BVH structures in trees with 2 nodes/leaves, whereas the AMD RT cards can support BVH structures with both 2 and 4 nodes/leaves.

Is this transparent to games? ( i think not..?)
Are there any games that support building BVH structures for RT using the 4 leaves per node, or any benchamrks?

Basically is there any app or game that would allow for a like for like ( or close to that ) comparison of the perf impact of each approach?
The BVH building actually happens on the CPU or GPU? or is it workload/engine variable?

Sorry if these are dumb Q.s

Back