Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

logically we will never get real time graphics that are the same as what is possible using offline rendering techniques, the two will only converge toward each other.

Imo this will stop being so much of a discussion point when photorealism in games loses its charm. Sure there will always be games that strive to be photorealistic, but in my opinion in the very near future all of these games will converge together until they all look samey. Especially with the rise of gaas titles that have long intended lifespans. Look at something like sea of thieves, it still looks great today because of its stylised art style. If they had gone with a photo realistic art style it would be looking dated at this point.

Games in the future will be differentiated largely on artstyle imo, and photo realism can be part of that.

With new tools and assets like unreal engine 5 and things like nanite being made available for very cheap (5% gross revenue), along with all the laser scanned assets (megascans) that epic provides photorealism will become the "cheap" option for game developers. What could be more affordable than reusing assets that epic provides from a drag and drop interface? The bigger studios making AAA games will have to come up with things to differentiate their games from indy titles imo

Avatar 2009 looks miles better than Incredibles 3 too. Both are CGI.
logically we will never get real time graphics that are the same as what is possible using offline rendering techniques, the two will only converge toward each other.

Imo this will stop being so much of a discussion point when photorealism in games loses its charm. Sure there will always be games that strive to be photorealistic, but in my opinion in the very near future all of these games will converge together until they all look samey. Especially with the rise of gaas titles that have long intended lifespans. Look at something like sea of thieves, it still looks great today because of its stylised art style. If they had gone with a photo realistic art style it would be looking dated at this point.

Games in the future will be differentiated largely on artstyle imo, and photo realism can be part of that.

With new tools and assets like unreal engine 5 and things like nanite being made available for very cheap (5% gross revenue), along with all the laser scanned assets (megascans) that epic provides photorealism will become the "cheap" option for game developers. What could be more affordable than reusing assets that epic provides from a drag and drop interface? The bigger studios making AAA games will have to come up with things to differentiate their games from indy titles imo

You could argue they already are. God of War has big fantasy beasties. Horizons has a beautiful post apocalypse and robot beaties. Ghosts does something with the way it lights landscapes and wavy folliage. Uncharted has the half tuck.

Is this confirmation that God of War and GT7 are also cross-generation titles, coming from the Head of PlayStation Studios as he answers PlayStation Blog Questions?

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ats-next-for-playstation-studios/#sf246401757

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.​

Is this confirmation that God of War and GT7 are also cross-generation titles, coming from the Head of PlayStation Studios as he answers PlayStation Blog Questions?

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ats-next-for-playstation-studios/#sf246401757

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.​

So much for we believe in generation, GT7 ok, Horizon Forbidden West not very good but ok, Gof of War is horrible the boss battle design will be limited by PS4 and shitty HDD.

Jim Ryan is a fucking fraud.

Last edited:
So much for we believe in generation, GT7 ok, Horizon Forbidden West not very good but ok, Gof of War is horrible the boss battle design will be limited by PS4 and shitty HDD.

Jim Ryan is a fucking fraud.

no gt7 is not ok and for sure not in 2022, game is basicaly ruined now but it explain why trailer looks so similar to gt sport, sony beyond stupid and greedy

GT7 will look much better at the end. First trailer of GT Sport was looking like GT4 high res. God of War will look great visually and much better than the PS4 version but the boss battle will be castrated.
its not only about visuals but cpu is very improrant in racing game for proper physics and number of cars, we can forget about multi class cars race now, also very qurious how dynamic weather will be implemented when its crossgen, wouldn't be suprised if there is no dynamic weather

dANG, Sony just made Playstation into PC or mobile phone. I like it. It's good to reverse bad decisions like resetting customer base whenever new console is launched.

I doubt we would have gotten spiderman, ratchet&clank and horizon forbidden west as "launch year" titles without ps4 support. Same would apply to gt7 if it comes rather sooner than alter. Big sony games are too expensive to make as first year new console exclusives. Nothing really has changed for worse compared to ps1,2,3,4. All the real heavy hitters of generation will ship middle or late in the cycle same as before. Now we just get a taste of these titles as cross gen titles early in the cycle while the old console owners fund the development.

PC has "solved" or "struggled" with scalability issues depending on POV. Sony supporting 3 consoles and scaling engine across them should be doable.

Last edited:
I hope Phil Spencer will take a shot at Sony at Microsoft E3 conference, they disserve it.
Hopefully he will also announce when will any Xbox 1st party game come out. They launched a console without them.

As for nextgen-only games we got few [Demons, Destruction Allstars, Returnal, and Rift Apart], but it seems biggest Sony teams decided to stick with PS4 for now. After Miles and the showcase of Horizon Forbidden West, I'm not concerned that crossgen games will suffer much graphically. Jaguar's processing of enemy NPC numbers will IMO be the biggest bottleneck.

Hopefully he will also announce when will any Xbox 1st party game come out. They launched a console without them.

As for nextgen-only games we got few [Demons, Destruction Allstars, Returnal, and Rift Apart], but it seems biggest Sony teams decided to stick with PS4 for now. After Miles and the showcase of Horizon Forbidden West, I'm not concerned that crossgen games will suffer much graphically. Jaguar's processing of enemy NPC numbers will IMO be the biggest bottleneck.

Jaguar and HDD you have no idea how much streaming is limiting PS4. Like I said without PS4 constraint some designer at Sony Santa Monica imagine the first boss fight against "the stranger" would have been much more spectacular for example.

But I better understand why Sony did the Horizon State of Play. See cross gen is incredible. I have no doubt God of War and GT 7 will have great graphics but from a design point of view they will be a castrated version of what the game could have been.

And Sony clearly lied at the end of the GT7 trailer, it was write Playstation 5 exclusive. And I am sure Polyphony digital did not decide to create a PS4 version after June 2020.

I wonder when sony made decision to do more cross gen. Positive spin could be sony realized it's not too difficult to do after having miles morales in production(way before launch). After all, pc supports even wider range of hw. Or perhaps it's a bean counting thing where sony realized resetting user base would be same as giving microsoft some free market share. I'm happy this is happening. Rolling generations/mobile phone like business model is what I wanted and hoped consoles to do for some time now.

I suppose for ps4 limiting factor is hdd and ram. One can render only what is in ram. PS5 with bigger ram and really fast ssd likely will just add higher level LOD's for everything+raise some resolution+have higher/steadier fps. In GT7 I wonder if this could turn into optionally more cars in races as that would be one reasonable way to use additional power in ps5.

I wonder when sony made decision to do more cross gen. Positive spin could be sony realized it's not too difficult to do after having miles morales in production(way before launch). After all, pc supports even wider range of hw. Or perhaps it's a bean counting thing where sony realized resetting user base would be same as giving microsoft some free market share. I'm happy this is happening. Rolling generations/mobile phone like business model is what I wanted and hoped consoles to do for some time now.

I suppose for ps4 limiting factor is hdd and ram. One can render only what is in ram. PS5 with bigger ram and really fast ssd likely will just add higher level LOD's for everything+raise some resolution+have higher/steadier fps. In GT7 I wonder if this could turn into optionally more cars in races as that would be one reasonable way to use additional power in ps5.
perhaps they felt they know form this point on they've already claimed the generation. so they no longer care. their fans are rabid. At this point in time they're leaving money on the table because they are selling all the possible PS5s that they can and releasing software limited to just PS5 won't make them more money, likely less.

perhaps they felt they know form this point on they've already claimed the generation. so they no longer care. their fans are rabid. At this point in time they're leaving money on the table because they are selling all the possible PS5s that they can and releasing software limited to just PS5 won't make them more money, likely less.

Would be interesting to see if miles morales sold and made more money on ps4 or ps5. I know many folks who still have ps4 and keep buying games. Horizon&co will likely sell like hot cakes to ps4 audience + create good will for sony. How likely is happy ps4 owner to upgrade to ps5 versus competing solution, especially if the GoW, GT7, Horizon etc. just carry over as ps5 versions?

I think a lot of people look foolish now in regards to some of the comments made in this forum. It only makes sense that Sony would want their biggest titles coming out on the platform with the largest install base. That is only compounded by the fact that there is a world wide shortage of chips and the ps5 is affected by it.

I am sure all these titles will be great regardless of if they work on the ps4 or not and now more gamers will get to play them. Microsoft was up front about it. Why loose a 50m+ install base of people willing to play your games.

I think a lot of people look foolish now in regards to some of the comments made in this forum. It only makes sense that Sony would want their biggest titles coming out on the platform with the largest install base. That is only compounded by the fact that there is a world wide shortage of chips and the ps5 is affected by it.

I am sure all these titles will be great regardless of if they work on the ps4 or not and now more gamers will get to play them. Microsoft was up front about it. Why loose a 50m+ install base of people willing to play your games.
marketing, they wanted the win. They got the win. First to 10M or something sounds familiar. They know they're going to beat MS to that number, manufacturing limitations stops any possibility of MS passing Sony. Demand isn't as high either.

They talked big game, but there was no way they were going to leave money on the table unless it was critical to beating MS.

My thinking is sony's continued ps4 support ensures those folks will update to ps5 instead of something else. If GT7/GoW/Horizon/... is sufficiently better in ps5 I wouldn't find it unlikely these games would cause ps4 owners to upgrade to ps5.

If sony had skipped BC and possibly ps4 support it would be much more likely ps4 owners would try out competing products.

I think sony has confirmed it long time ago ps4 will stay with as for a while yet. Against this backdrop it was always odd sony wasn't claiming to do cross gen titles.

Actually for some people now who were trying to get a ps5 and had a ps4 already and then an xbox they may want an xbox first to enjoy game pass and the slate of Microsoft titles coming out while they can continue playing the sony exclusives on their console.

who really knows what the future of this generation will bring. We are at the start of this generation and its only going to get more interesting as other players enter and sony / ms / nintendo compete. Who knows the steam lad may come out and sell tens of millions of units a quarter and everyone just uses that
marketing, they wanted the win. They got the win. First to 10M or something sounds familiar. They know they're going to beat MS to that number, manufacturing limitations stops any possibility of MS passing Sony. Demand isn't as high either.

They talked big game, but there was no way they were going to leave money on the table unless it was critical to beating MS.

Like i said above , its a long generation and we don't know what will happen. For all we know MS can purchase Rockstar and gta 6 is exclusive or apple can enter the console market with an m3 3nm super console with 32 gigs of ram and sell it for $200 with all the money they make.

Its really early days and i wouldn't count MS out with some of the stuff that is happening....

Back