Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

I don't think anyone can deny that.
Well, it would look better, but only at 30fps. All those impressive BC games (and Spiderman) all run at 60fps.

So for me, those games at 60fps are looking better than anything at 30fps. On Pro the most impressive game I have played is God of War running at 1080p and ~60fps.

It will take awhile to see games designed from the ground up for next gen systems. Longer games like God of war would take what 3 years or so of development time. So i guess if you would have rather waited till 2023 or later for a god of war game that be fine.

To fully take advantage of new generation hardware, yes, it will take a while. But in 2018, some degree of assumption could be made about hardware specifications that would make a 30fps PS5 game impossible on the base PS4. 7 available Zen 1 cores at 3GHz, 36CU RDNA1 at 1.5GHz, and a PCI-E 3.0 SSD would have been a reasonable target, and would make certain level designs, set pieces, and enemy quantity impossible on the base PS4 without it looking like Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition.

Disappointing. I don't think people are recognizing the ramifications of this long cross gen period.
There are no more real generations. Why would sony dump tens of if not hundreds of millions on an install base that didn't exist and is only starting out vs one that is a 100m strong ?

There are no more real generations. Why would sony dump tens of if not hundreds of millions on an install base that didn't exist and is only starting out vs one that is a 100m strong ?
I'm not debating the logical business decision, only that it results in worse dev progress. Releasing a cross gen game 1-2 years into the generation means at best we can hope for 1 fully fledged PS5 title from SSM.

I'm not debating the logical business decision, only that it results in worse dev progress. Releasing a cross gen game 1-2 years into the generation means at best we can hope for 1 fully fledged PS5 title from SSM.
and second one as ps5/ps6 crossgen ;)

That's still better than this generation, where we got ONE game out of them!

The lines on Xbox may be blurred, but PlayStation still has a clear delineation between generations - both in hardware and the target SDK for games. None of PS5's hardware is accessible (or even invisible) in backwards compatibility mode when running PS4/Pro binaries. You're either running a PS4/Pro game or a PS5 game. The only thing you can do with a PS4 binary is unlock BC Mode 3 which provides higher CPU/GPU clocks allowing higher performance than possible on Pro, but you can't break 60Hz, you can't break 4K, you can't utilise DualSense features and you can't access any of PS5's bespoke hardware.

The lines on Xbox may be blurred, but PlayStation still has a clear delineation between generations - both in hardware and the target SDK for games. None of PS5's hardware is accessible (or even invisible) in backwards compatibility mode when running PS4/Pro binaries. You're either running a PS4/Pro game or a PS5 game. The only thing you can do with a PS4 binary is unlock BC Mode 3 which provides higher CPU/GPU clocks allowing higher performance than possible on Pro, but you can't break 60Hz, you can't break 4K and you can't access any of PS5's bespoke hardware.

Sounds like a sony issue.

Nope, this was a decision. Microsoft intentionally set out their strategy to blur the lines of generations. Presumably they felt this marketed better and it would definitely help given they had no exclusively nextgen Xbox games for launch. Conversely Sony have ben saying since PS4 Pro's launch that they believe in console generations, which they re-affirmed last year.

no it seems like artificially preventing a customer from allowing legacy software to perform at its best is very anti consumer.

They said they believe in console generations and yet the majority of their games are cross platform. So its obvious that they also believe in making money

Ideally I would like sony to focus on ps5. On the other hand if ps4 versions means we get spiderman, horizon zero dawn, god of war,... early in generation that is a huge bonus versus having to wait for year 3-4-5 for those games. Probably the spiderman2, horizon 3 etc. will be true next gen titles. Seems to kind of follow console logic, launch year games rarely if never are same quality as mid gen and late gen games. This time we get big hitters early thanks to the ps4 versions(more buyers, more capability to invest into those games).

It's fine as long as sony doesn't end up doing cdpr like delays and horrible previous gen console versions. Cheap way to stretch the next gen muscle is to just add more resolution, fps, textures and some limited ray tracing. Ray tracing using even previous gen assets gives a nice boost in quality, at least to my eyes.

That's still better than this generation, where we got ONE game out of them!

They had one big title cancelled. And this generation studio will be able to release more games because of faster storage in PS5 and Xbox Series. An ex Insomniac and ND developper goes as far to say it will help reduce crunch because this is by far the main constraint in game development.

https://segmentnext.com/2020/03/20/ps5-ssd-crunch-culture/

In theory, the #PS5's SSD means developers can worry a little less about level streaming and memory micro-management which is a huge time sink late on in the dev cycle and the source of many bugs. This means it might actually help to reduce crunch! Cooper is referring to the IO throughput of the PlayStation 5.

It works for Xbox Series too.

no it seems like artificially preventing a customer from allowing legacy software to perform at its best is very anti consumer.

They said they believe in console generations and yet the majority of their games are cross platform. So its obvious that they also believe in making money

Sackboy and Spiderman MM are cross platform, Astro Playroom and Demon's souls are PS5 only. Returnal, Destruction All stars, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and GT7 are PS5 exclusive too. Horizon Forbiden West and God of War will be cross platform.

All title with sales above 10 million are cross gen for the moment, out of Sackboy but I suppose the title began as a PS4 game and they did not cancel the PS4 version,

We are far from a majority of their games being cross gen...

Last edited:
They had one big title cancelled. And this generation studio will be able to release more games because of faster storage in PS5 and Xbox Series. An ex Insomniac and ND developper goes as far to say it will help reduce crunch because this is by far the main constraint in game development.

https://segmentnext.com/2020/03/20/ps5-ssd-crunch-culture/
I don't know that the impact from having an SSD will really cut down their development time to a point where SM can actually double or triple their output, but I'd love it if it were the case. More games is always good.

I don't know that the impact from having an SSD will really cut down their development time to a point where SM can actually double or triple their output, but I'd love it if it were the case. More games is always good.

If God of War release in 2021, it will only be three years between God of War PS4 and the second episode this is fast more like PS3 development. And Horizon and probably God of War need to release on PS4, this doesn't help too.

But I guess in reality the question is do you want horizon/GoW 2021 or 2023. Those games are expensive to make and require crazy sales to be profitable. It's unfortunate ps4 is going to be baseline, on the other hand it might be the reason the game is viable for 2021. Given those two options I think sony chose wisely. If you start the generation with a bang it's likely to go on really well. It's a momentum business.

Back